HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 4, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #1,216 of 3,403
I find that my ZMF’s absolutely love the RS8. Both the Verite closed and my Atriums match beautifully tonally with the RS8.
Thanks for this. So far I've done sessions with MEST MkII, D8000 Pro LE, and FuSang. I've been curious about ZMF synergy, but haven't tried mine yet. Sounds like I'll have to remedy that. 😊

MEST might have been the biggest surprise of the 3--RS8 really pushed it into new territory. D8KP was also brilliantly holographic and relaxed. I've been mostly listening on Hypsos+Oor fed by ADI-2, but RS8 really opened up the Finals. FuSang was good, but I found myself wishing for a little more treble sizzle on some tracks--may stick with SP2000 for that for now, or else build my own profile for that (I noticed there's not a profile for it--pretty sure there was on RS6).

I will always have fond memories of my R6 Pro Stainless
Same. That was my first Hiby and all the convincing I needed to come back for RS6, which was all the convincing I needed to jump all over RS8. Very glad I did--really enjoying it so far!

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,217 of 3,403
I found that the burn in seemed to hit a break though at about 120 hours. It seemed like the player exhaled and relaxed a bit. To my ears, I think the upper mids have filled out, the lower mids not as much yet.
It fits in my jeans back pocket, which is kind of qualifier with me.

Check out the Holo Audio Cyan. Great for the money, imo.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #1,218 of 3,403
Hey guys, think it’s time to post my unprofessional impressions after almost 200 hours :), I have been burning RS8 and listening to it at the same time, I have to say the experience is fun and I can seriously feel the sound improvement through time. I have to be honest, when I first get the RS8, I did not feel the magic of it, the bass is deep and detailed and the soundstage is wide but maybe its because I’m not used to R2R tunning which I feel the high is not exciting enough for me at first, and I can't really feel the smoothness of it compare to my LGPT Ti and SP2000 SS ( both are using AKM chips ), the only thing that I notice is the dark background and the rounded soundstage ( by far the biggest soundstage compared to my LPGT TI and SP2000 SS), but things start shifting a bit after 100 hours, I can hear a more smooth high and the mid is warm and smooth but doesn’t make the sound stick together, and the real deal is the bass, it is by far the most amazing bass experience I had compared with my other daps, it's detailed and deep and natural and I can feel heard the reverberation ( but maybe just me). I will continue burning and testing it, I also make a sound comparison between LPTI TI using my Traillii as a reference, and pair it with C9 for testing as well.

Trailli + RS8 vs Traillii + LPGT Ti (with First time Shielding cable)

RS8 set up: Class A, middle gain, Non-oversampling open, Turbo mode

LPGT Ti set up: High gain

I can definitely hear a wider soundstage on RS8, and a more organic sound, the bass extends better on RS8, and the vocal is smooth but non-sibilant as well, but I do like the vocal on LPGT Ti as well its more exciting compared to RS8 but I don’t give a live show experience like what the RS8 can do ( I think is mostly because of the soundstage), pairing LPGT Ti is more like you are listening to singer sing in a recording room.

Trailli + RS8+ Cayin C9 (with First time Shielding cable and Brise Audio Murakumo 6 4.4m interconnect)

C9 set up: line mode, Class A, Low gain, Tube mode

This is probably my favorite combo, the soundstage didn’t change much (slightly a bit wider), the reverberation of the sound is what amazed me, and I can hear a slightly warming sound due to the tube mode on c9. The vocal is sweet and more musical on RS8 Plus C9 compared to only pairing with RS8. It's just hard for me to explain the sound experience but I strongly recommend you all try this combo! (plus, the lineout mode on RS8 is amazing, no need to do extra settings for everything, since RS8 already has its own output specific for Lineout use.)

I’m still waiting for my Custom Mentor to come, and I’ll do more tests on rs8 while waiting for it. But overall I really like the RS8, great sound (R2R really impressed me ), great tunning, and an open system ( android 12) with a great EQ system that even comes with the CR8 that I can pairs with my other sound system. But the only thing I might complain might be the screen protector XD, just too many fingerprints when I’m using it and the Case looks amazing too but it’s a bit too thick for me (the backside), I like it more when it's out of the case :) and forgive me if I use some words wrong thank you all!
1670210360692.jpeg

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #1,219 of 3,403
Hey guys, think it’s time to post my unprofessional impressions after almost 200 hours :), I have been burning RS8 and listening to it at the same time, I have to say the experience is fun and I can seriously feel the sound improvement through time. I have to be honest, when I first get the RS8, I did not feel the magic of it, the bass is deep and detailed and the soundstage is wide but maybe its because I’m not used to R2R tunning which I feel the high is not exciting enough for me at first, and I can't really feel the smoothness of it compare to my LGPT Ti and SP2000 SS ( both are using AKM chips ), the only thing that I notice is the dark background and the rounded soundstage ( by far the biggest soundstage compared to my LPGT TI and SP2000 SS), but things start shifting a bit after 100 hours, I can hear a more smooth high and the mid is warm and smooth but doesn’t make the sound stick together, and the real deal is the bass, it is by far the most amazing bass experience I had compared with my other daps, it's detailed and deep and natural and I can feel heard the reverberation ( but maybe just me). I will continue burning and testing it, I also make a sound comparison between LPTI TI using my Traillii as a reference, and pair it with C9 for testing as well.

I can definitely hear a wider soundstage on RS8, and a more organic sound, the bass extends better on RS8, and the vocal is smooth but non-sibilant as well, but I do like the vocal on LPGT Ti as well its more exciting compared to RS8 but I don’t give a live show experience like what the RS8 can do ( I think is mostly because of the soundstage), pairing LPGT Ti is more like you are listening to singer sing in a recording room.

Trailli + RS8+ Cayin C9 (with First time Shielding cable and Brise Audio Murakumo 6 4.4m interconnect)

This is probably my favorite combo, the soundstage didn’t change much (slightly a bit wider), the reverberation of the sound is what amazed me, and I can hear a slightly warming sound due to the tube mode on c9. The vocal is sweet and more musical on RS8 Plus C9 compared to only pairing with RS8. It's just hard for me to explain the sound experience but I strongly recommend you all try this combo! (plus, the lineout mode on RS8 is amazing, no need to do extra settings for everything, since RS8 already has its own output specific for Lineout use.)

I’m still waiting for my Custom Mentor to come, and I’ll do more tests on rs8 while waiting for it. But overall I really like the RS8, great sound (R2R really impressed me ), great tunning, and an open system ( android 12) with a great EQ system that even comes with the CR8 that I can pairs with my other sound system. But the only thing I might complain might be the screen protector XD, just too many fingerprints when I’m using it and the Case looks amazing too but it’s a bit too thick for me (the backside), I like it more when it's out of the case :) and forgive me if I use some words wrong thank you all!
It's not just you about the bass :) great impressions !

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #1,220 of 3,403
It's not just you about the bass :) great impressions !
Yeah, I honestly really love the bass coming out from RS8, I don't know if it's the R2R magic or Hiby just tuned will well enough, maybe both haha, but anyway thanks!

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #1,221 of 3,403

1670210360692.jpeg
Nice review!

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #1,222 of 3,403

1670210360692.jpeg
Great review, look.forward to your impressions with Mentor. What genres do you typically listen to?

Dec 5, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #1,223 of 3,403
Great review, look.forward to your impressions with Mentor. What genres do you typically listen to?
thank! Mostly Jazz ( female vocals with jazz or full jazz instrument something like Autumn Leaves and Take Five are my favorites :) ), Classical ( violin or piano concerto most of the time), i also listen to some Jpop or Cpop (something like Jay Chao, JJ Lin) as well.

I bought musics from Native DSD as well ( really love High-quality DSD music which is also one thing I love about RS8 since it can play DSD music up to DSD1024 ).
1670226613972.png

Dec 5, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #1,225 of 3,403
Could some here test the RS8 in portable mode with a DCA Stealth or even a HEDDphone One ? as I still wonder/hope if at 24ohms, the available voltage of the RS8 is still a full 5V with enough instant power (capacitors) to keep rather low impacts alive on such headphones ?
Basically, if the R2R of the RS8 is so impressive, I am really interested to replace almost all of my stuff with the RS8 + CR08 + a 100% neutral Chi-Fi THX amp with 2x6W Chi-Fi ... and 2 Headphones (DCA Stealth & HEDDphone) and a high end IEM like a small FIR Xenon 6 or a maybe a Multiverse Mentor ?

As usual, I have no chance to give a try to such combo, so I just have to trust all reviews and advices.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #1,226 of 3,403
Could some here test the RS8 in portable mode with a DCA Stealth or even a HEDDphone One ? as I still wonder/hope if at 24ohms, the available voltage of the RS8 is still a full 5V with enough instant power (capacitors) to keep rather low impacts alive on such headphones ?
Basically, if the R2R of the RS8 is so impressive, I am really interested to replace almost all of my stuff with the RS8 + CR08 + a 100% neutral Chi-Fi THX amp with 2x6W Chi-Fi ... and 2 Headphones (DCA Stealth & HEDDphone) and a high end IEM like a small FIR Xenon 6 or a maybe a Multiverse Mentor ?

As usual, I have no chance to give a try to such combo, so I just have to trust all reviews and advices.
I can't test any of these myself, but I can tell you the RS8 outputs 7.5V power in Turbo Mode. Whether or not its caps are big enough, I'm not sure, but unlikely compared to a full-size desktop amp (as you're already thinking of adding to the chain).

Dec 5, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #1,227 of 3,403
I can't test any of these myself, but I can tell you the RS8 outputs 7.5V power in Turbo Mode. Whether or not its caps are big enough, I'm not sure, but unlikely compared to a full-size desktop amp (as you're already thinking of adding to the chain).

Basically, I don't expect a DAP like the RS8 or even the FIIO M17 to be exactly at the same level of impacts of an external amp .. but, as I really enjoy to have some freedom at home to listen to some music in other rooms, I can say, the M17, even in pure portable mode, can be rather convincing with both headphones, though we can easily catch the impact of an external power supply and even more whith an external powerful amp.
As I said somewhere before, some here seem to be convinced too with some Chord portable stuff (Hugo 2 and even Mojo 2) to move properly the DCA Stealth .. so ther is still a chance for the RS8 with 7.5V, and assuming there are good capacitors, to do the Job at 7.5V... at least much better than the 12V of an A&K Kann Alpha which are totally falling down with low impedance/low sensitivity headphones (easy clipping and distorsion).

Dec 5, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,228 of 3,403
Nice impressions. Have you compared the RS8 to DMP-Z1? Also, how did your first RS8 die? Failed to boot after crashing while playing music/charging by any chance?
Unfortunately, my second RS8 also failed. It was not just a matter of a typical lockup or freeze that was solved by pushing and holding in a combination of buttons. Beleive me, I tried every combination of button pushing and hold duration. Both units failed when - with ample charge - pushing the external pause button to pause and then restart the playback, the units just went black. All of the buttons were non-responsive. When I plugged the units into a charger - an Aker 735 GaN charger for the first unit and an Apple 20W charger for the second unit - the red charging LED did not come on. Instead, the display just began to blink every couple of seconds - showing the HiBy insignia. I left both units on the chargers overnight, but nothing changed. Kept getting a blinking display - with everything else non-responsive.

It's strange that I should get the same unusual problem with both units. Both units never left my house and they were never dropped or misused. Just charging and playing for burn-in. Both had updated firmwares. If it was user error (which I sincerely doubt it was), I'd like to know what I was doing wrong. I've burned in many DAP's over the years, and never had a problem - at all. By the way, Andrew's been great during this process. At this point, nobody has any sound explanations for this unusual failure. Hoping that RS8 number 3, from the units delivered at the end of the month, is my lucky charm.

Tim

Dec 5, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #1,229 of 3,403
Unfortunately, my second RS8 also failed. It was not just a matter of a typical lockup or freeze that was solved by pushing and holding in a combination of buttons. Beleive me, I tried every combination of button pushing and hold duration. Both units failed when - with ample charge - pushing the external pause button to pause and then restart the playback, the units just went black. All of the buttons were non-responsive. When I plugged the units into a charger - an Aker 735 GaN charger for the first unit and an Apple 20W charger for the second unit - the red charging LED did not come on. Instead, the display just began to blink every couple of seconds - showing the HiBy insignia. I left both units on the chargers overnight, but nothing changed. Kept getting a blinking display - with everything else non-responsive.

It's strange that I should get the same unusual problem with both units. Both units never left my house and they were never dropped or misused. Just charging and playing for burn-in. Both had updated firmwares. If it was user error (which I sincerely doubt it was), I'd like to know what I was doing wrong. I've burned in many DAP's over the years, and never had a problem - at all. By the way, Andrew's been great during this process. At this point, nobody has any sound explanations for this unusual failure. Hoping that RS8 number 3, from the units delivered at the end of the month, is my lucky charm.

Tim
Yeah, with #3 you will reach 10.000€ mark, congrats 🥳🥳🥳 These Chinesse mad little audio brands keep me surprising by making new ultra high priced daps with raw, freezing Android systems, full of bugs and incompatible apps... That's real pain... I'm out of this topic... 🤑🤑🤑

Dec 5, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,230 of 3,403
Thats crazy my unit is still rocking rocking

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back