HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,157 of 3,403
LCD i4 if you want that big Audeze planar sound in an IEM.

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #1,159 of 3,403
I have the lcdi4 and it does not sound good with the hiby.
I'm kinda surprised at that. Is everything to smooth sounding?

Dec 2, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,160 of 3,403
I have the same DAPs as you so I need to make a similar decision. You won’t miss the tubes?
No I really don't, R2R is more tubey than Korg :p

While not exactly a planar IEM, Itsfit Fusion IEM uses a Magnetostatic™ driver (ultra-thin 5-layer erromagnetic membrane layer with high high magnetic permeability moves its entire surface without any dead point, minimizing sound loss, transfer delay and distortion. There’s also no need to use high-volt amp like Electrostatic).

I've one with a custom fit and use with my Hiby RS2. Very nice across all the frequencies (the lows, mids and highs) with good resolution & clarity. No fatigue. No sibilance.
I confirm ItsFit Fusion (also custom for me) is a superb pairing with RS8

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #1,162 of 3,403
Actually changed the tips to foam on the lcdi4 and now they sound good. The Hiby needs more time as I would like it to open up a bit. Only 18 hours so far.
These look dumb but they are cheap and comfortable, give them a shot.
PXL_20221123_123353685.jpg

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,163 of 3,403
OK, time to earn my CR08 from Andrew. I've been putting the RS8 through its paces - comparing it to the Sony WM1Z with the VE EXT and Phonix. I'm only about 40 hours into the burning process, since my first RS8 died after 4 days of use. Fingers crossed for this one. So really, I'm reporting on a sound signature that's somewhat in flux. Even so, everything I've heard so far has been just great. At this point, the RS8 is less warm than the Sony and a bit more lively and engagning. Resolution and soundstage are about the same for both the RS8 and Sony - again, at this point. Having already experienced an RS8 with almost 90 hours of burn in - I do expect this resolution and soundstage to increase. I also expect the sound to get warmer. While I'm not surprised how great the Phonix sounded with the RS8, I'm really pleased with how good the EXT performed. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the EXT and the Sony - regardless of firmwares (courtesy of Mr Walkman). The EXT experience with the RS8 has
been nothing but surreal. Finally been able to hear the uniqueness of the dynamic and electrostatic drivers.

I'm glad I've waited all of this time to upgrade from my WM1Z. When I went back to listening to the Sony after the first RS8 died on me, I realized how muc more I enjoyed the HiBy. I'm looking forward to the final sound after the burn-in period - assuming this unit doesn't die on me. :beerchug:

RS8 with Sony EXT Phonix.jpg

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #1,164 of 3,403
Hi there,

I have good news today.

I asked Dmitry who is the developer of Neutron Music Player (NMP) for better support on the RS8, and he made it!
NMP will support up to PCM1536/DSD1024 playback on the RS8 in the next update release.

The dev version is available now at the following link.
http://neutronmp.com/download/dev/NeutronMP_ARM64_DEV_301122.apk

Many thanks to Dmitry!! :beerchug:

Note:
- As you know, NMP is a paid app. You need to purchase the license to use it.
- I got permission from Dmitry to share the above link here.

Left: PCM1536 (96kHz x 16 oversampling) / Right: native DSD1024 playback
PCM1536&DSD1024onNMP.JPG
Are you saying RS8 has the ability to upsample using Nuetron app to those resolution?

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #1,165 of 3,403
OK, time to earn my CR08 from Andrew. I've been putting the RS8 through its paces - comparing it to the Sony WM1Z with the VE EXT and Phonix. I'm only about 40 hours into the burning process, since my first RS8 died after 4 days of use. Fingers crossed for this one. So really, I'm reporting on a sound signature that's somewhat in flux. Even so, everything I've heard so far has been just great. At this point, the RS8 is less warm than the Sony and a bit more lively and engagning. Resolution and soundstage are about the same for both the RS8 and Sony - again, at this point. Having already experienced an RS8 with almost 90 hours of burn in - I do expect this resolution and soundstage to increase. I also expect the sound to get warmer. While I'm not surprised how great the Phonix sounded with the RS8, I'm really pleased with how good the EXT performed. I've always had a love/hate relationship with the EXT and the Sony - regardless of firmwares (courtesy of Mr Walkman). The EXT experience with the RS8 has
been nothing but surreal. Finally been able to hear the uniqueness of the dynamic and electrostatic drivers.

I'm glad I've waited all of this time to upgrade from my WM1Z. When I went back to listening to the Sony after the first RS8 died on me, I realized how muc more I enjoyed the HiBy. I'm looking forward to the final sound after the burn-in period - assuming this unit doesn't die on me. :beerchug:

Very interesting. Thanks.
I’m also using the Phoenix and the EXT. But currently with the N8ii.
The EXT also sounds great with the RS6. So, the RS8 could be a nice fit.
I was wondering, whether the bass control of the RS8 is a good match for the Phoenix because it’s only a BA bass. So, what’s your experience here?
Thanks

Dec 2, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #1,166 of 3,403
Very interesting. Thanks.
I’m also using the Phoenix and the EXT. But currently with the N8ii.
The EXT also sounds great with the RS6. So, the RS8 could be a nice fit.
I was wondering, whether the bass control of the RS8 is a good match for the Phoenix because it’s only a BA bass. So, what’s your experience here?
Thanks
To me, the Phonix bass with the RS8 is about the as same from the Sony DAP. Cetainly not a bass-centric sound. I've considered the bass from the Phonix as "fitting in well with it's intended sound signature." In other words, its a BA bass - but a good BA bass. :ksc75smile: Most of the music I listen to is primarily Rock - all types. A pronounced bass has never been a priority for me.

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #1,167 of 3,403
To me, the Phonix bass with the RS8 is about the as same from the Sony DAP. Cetainly not a bass-centric sound. I've considered the bass from the Phonix as "fitting in well with it's intended sound signature." In other words, its a BA bass - but a good BA bass. :ksc75smile: Most of the music I listen to is primarily Rock - all types. A pronounced bass has never been a priority for me.
Which of your IEMs is your favorite for Rock then?
Actually even most of predefined Rock EQ profiles out there are V shaped

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #1,168 of 3,403

Nice impressions. Have you compared the RS8 to DMP-Z1? Also, how did your first RS8 die? Failed to boot after crashing while playing music/charging by any chance?

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #1,169 of 3,403
Actually even most of predefined Rock EQ profiles out there are V shaped
And they sound terrible. The Jazz preset is better usually (but also sort of v)

Dec 2, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #1,170 of 3,403
And they sound terrible. The Jazz preset is better usually (but also sort of v)
At the end its a matter of preference.
My most favored Rock DAP so far was Shanling M8 with some warm analogue bass and velvet treble with the right synergy headphones (e.g Denon AH-D9200) or IEMs like MEST MKII.
Without some felt double base drum I find Rock too lean reference.
Jazz is another story but also other genre

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back