HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Oct 3, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #287 of 3,403
Am not having the latest information on L&P but one year ago not even DAC mode was working there as we are used from the usual Android DAPs or some bit rate restriction, don't remember exactly?
I think people tried using Bluetooth connection on the L&P P6 Pro.
I was really considering to get one with my former Trailli but all that combined was just too much compromise for me.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #288 of 3,403
Just found this thread and read through it- lots of thoughts. I did not get to CanJam SoCal so had not even heard of and so also have not heard the excellent RS8 but I am a definite fan of @gLer and @Whitigir and @twister6 reviews so if I am again in the market for a new DAP this is where I'd turn. I've had R8 for about a year and never wanted for anything from it. When I travel, it comes along (very carefully protected). Then I added Cayin C9 (again thanks @Whitigir for SO MUCH wise advice on using it) and now I can use C9 as a power amp to listen to R8 with Turbo in 4 different C9 modes (as befits the IEM or mood). But that's not all- I found a SE 3.5 mm --> Dual ended RCA splitter to connect R8 3.5 mm LO to IFI micro iDSD (and also can connect to that one via S/PiDF via the R8 coaxial out). R8 is very flexible. Following @Whitigir 's advice on battery management (I cycle between 20% and 80% charge) the R8 battery is holding up well. Maybe not quite as well as a year ago- I think and hope it will still be a while before I need to think about changing the battery (@Whitigir if you decide to set up a NA service center for ChiFi DAP brands, pls PM me). R8 is (still) available now at Musicteck new for $1599 USD. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy it again without batting an eye. If I were to advise someone just coming into the hobby, I would say "look at R8 very carefully at that price".

I will not probably go for an RS8 now. A few months ago I realized I was mostly using R8 at home, so maybe it was time to upgrade my desktop gear. Now I have the new Topping stack (D90SE and A90 Discrete) streaming Roon, it was quite a revelation. This stack can handle all my IEMs with aplomb (I have none that are highly sensitive, but it is very quiet, more than the R8) as well as power my HPs with great detail, transparency, dynamism, imaging and pretty good soundstage (thats its weakest characteristic, admittedly). Now I am thinking about upgrading my source in that chain (from old Macbook Air to a Roon Nucleus), getting a dedicated electric service line for my DAC & amp, eventually upgrading to a higher level desktop Amp (Bryston BHA-1 is the top contender under consideration) and then (when all else is in place) a Denafrips Pontus II R2R DAC. This has been fun to look into and think about and I have learned a lot. It will take some months to get everything in place. Along the way, in case I do need to send the R8 to China for battery replacement, and need a spare DAP for. few months, I picked up a second-hand Cayin N6ii with all the replaceable MOBOs on the Classifieds (R01 is my fav, and pairs well with the C9 in power amp /"pre" mode). Since the N6ii has i2S output, I am also learning about when/in what context I2S may be beneficial, or even using an external clock (not with N6ii, but with a DDC that accepts one, like the Singxser SU-6 or the Gustard U18). And since my local network is fiber-based, I am also thinking about making use of that to feed my Roon network streamer with a cleaner fiber-based signal instead of Wifi-mesh-network connected ethernet. Oh btw, because R8 has LO analogue output, I can also feed its dual AKM4497 signal 4.4. mm LO to a desktop amp or pre-amp using an IFI 4.4 mm to balanced XLR cable.

All this to say that upgrading one's DAP is one possible route to audio nirvana, but there are many paths...

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #291 of 3,403
I trust many of those that demoed, got to listen to it at canjam and of course my own ears over some random chat from a Chinese reddit.
I remember the R8 also getting bad press at introduction.. I ended up loving it to death for quite a while (until the Shanling M9 came that is 😎)

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #293 of 3,403
Still love the M9 for both its sound and its fantastic design.. But soundwise the N8ii definitely outclasses it... (even though Cayin's design doesnt really resonate with me.. Designwise I prefer both the M9 and the most recent Hiby design language). I am therefore quite interested in what the RS8 will bring to the table

Oct 5, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #294 of 3,403
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #295 of 3,403
在目前这个播放器砖化的时间上,我认为重量并不算一个很严重的问题,用体积和重量去换更大的设计空间和更长的续航和更好的散热我完全能理解,但是从声音的标现而言,我的建议是回炉重造。
b758f52ac65c10385e1b091df7119313b17e8995.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:11 AM Post #296 of 3,403
现在开始聊声音。作为新的旗舰产品首先要根自家的上代旗舰比较。从声音的三频而言,两代产品并没有特别明显的问题。但是从声音表现中最重要的声场表现而言,rs8的声场表现明显畸形,而r8则相对健康。具体情况下文进行详细描述。
声场表现而言声场形状为横向无限宽,纵向很短的长条型,最明显的表现是高频乐器的结项位置靠后,高频延伸被极度削弱。搭配银黄鹂,低频下潜深度一般,高频延伸和泛音表现属于👎……搭配um indigo下潜深度和声场表现👎,像是没推开的那种声场表现。
我不认可一个旗舰型号的播放器产品对一条耳塞表现出驱动能力疲软的现象是因为产品趋向于流行调音的原因。如果海贝是在做不出有特征化的声音不如学飞傲把基本盘做好……至少m17不会在任何塞子上表现出疲软无力的状态。

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #297 of 3,403
p6p属于味道机要看对不对个人听音口味,rs8绝对不如钛墨菊,钛墨菊的声场是不会畸形的,而且推力也比rs8扎实
相比于r8,rs8的优势在于没有底噪了。相比于金砖一代,rs8的优势在于推力更充足。相比于凯音n8,rs8的优势在于染色更少。相比于m17,rs8的优势在于体积更小。
这样是不是比较像kol。
还有这次试听rs8遇到了一次过热关机,不知道是不是软件不稳定的原因,看看后面的固件升级能不高优化一下。

Oct 5, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #298 of 3,403
"At the current time when this player is bricked, I don't think weight is a serious problem. I can fully understand the use of volume and weight for larger design space, longer battery life and better heat dissipation, but In terms of sound performance, my suggestion is to go back and rebuild."

"Now let's talk about voice. As a new flagship product, we must first compare with the previous generation flagship of our own. In terms of the tri-band sound, the two generations of products do not have particularly obvious problems. However, in terms of the most important sound field performance in sound performance, the sound field performance of the rs8 is obviously deformed, while the r8 is relatively healthy. The specific cases are described in detail below.
In terms of sound field performance, the shape of the sound field is an infinitely wide horizontal and a very short vertical strip. The most obvious performance is that the high-frequency instruments are placed at the back, and the high-frequency extension is extremely weakened. With the silver oriole, the low-frequency dive depth is average, the high-frequency extension and overtone performance belong to 👎... With the um indigo diving depth and sound field performance 👎, it is like the kind of sound field performance that is not pushed away.
I don't agree that a flagship model player product shows a lack of drive capability for a single earbud because of the trend towards popular tuning. If Haibei can't make a characteristic sound, it's better to learn from FiiO and make the basic plate well...at least the m17 won't show weakness on any plugs."

"The p6p belongs to the taste machine. It depends on the personal listening taste. The rs8 is definitely not as good as the titanium ink chrysanthemum. The sound field of the titanium ink chrysanthemum will not be deformed, and the thrust is more solid than the rs8.
Compared with r8, the advantage of rs8 is that there is no background noise. Compared with the BRIC generation, the advantage of the rs8 is that the thrust is more sufficient. Compared to Kaiyin n8, rs8 has the advantage of less staining. Compared to m17, the advantage of rs8 is that it is smaller.
Isn't this more like kol?
In addition, the rs8 encountered an overheating shutdown this time. I don’t know if it is the reason for the instability of the software. Let’s see if the firmware upgrade can be optimized."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back