HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Oct 29, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #542 of 3,404
Just to put it into perspective.. This seems to be a Musicteck initiative, not a Hiby one. Which will predominantly be aimed at drawing additional customers to Musicteck, not necessarily to Hiby :)

Official dealers can generally only do what the manufacturer allows/says so I would say it's a Hiby thing. Apart from that isn't MT the only place to buy it in the US so I doubt MT will be paying for these expensive docks just to give them away for free so as to get a monopoly on the RS8 sales when they already have it 🤔😅

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #544 of 3,404
Official dealers can generally only do what the manufacturer allows/says so I would say it's a Hiby thing. Apart from that isn't MT the only place to buy it in the US so I doubt MT will be paying for these expensive docks just to give them away for free so as to get a monopoly on the RS8 sales when they already have it 🤔😅
The docks are not for free. Not even for dealers. And they are apparently not included in pre-orders. However, the dealer can offer it like Musicteck do and btw. I do as well in Switzerland.

Oct 29, 2022 at 11:21 AM Post #547 of 3,404
Oct 29, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #548 of 3,404
No. There's zero reduction on retail price for RS8.
Yep indeed and honestly I think it's sound for Hiby to make sure it does sell at MSRP.
Few brands are keeping it real these days. RS8 given how it's spec'ed is fairly priced and that's a rarity in this hobby.
I'd say N8ii also falls in that category.

One "detail" that I know makes a big difference and it's not SQ wise : don't discount this 256GB onboard is amazing, I had this once with Shanling M9 and it really was the only time I had a smartphone like experience with a DAP. No SD card no matter how good will be as fast for syncing or playing : no lag, no wait just speed and never a stutter. Might not sound like much but it's a bottleneck for other DAP that don't feature this and we're now quite used to having responsive devices with modern smartphones.

Now the rest of the package we already enjoyed with R8 (ELNA SIMLIC, POSCAPs and top quality components, plus titanium body and copper for heat dissipation... ), is definitely something worth pining for... there sure is bound to be quite a burn in phase to really enjoy RS8 to its full capacity (definitely why @gLer is making us wait) but no doubt it's worth it. To me having RS6 R2R goodness with on steroid R8 components and architecture (and android 12) is definitely a big turn on :D

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #550 of 3,404
Definitely better than the sp3000 imo never heard the lpgt ti but I preferred the RS8 to L&P LP6
Which version of the L&P LP6 do you have?

I have the LP6 7th Anniversary edition which I was planning to keep alongside the SP3000, until I started reading about the RS8. I love how the LP6 reproduces voices, no delta sigma dap I've tried sounds as natural, but I miss having a modern interface and streaming options. The SP3000 fills that gap but I can't justify having all of these toys. Maybe the RS8 is the best of both worlds...

Oct 29, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #551 of 3,404
Which version of the L&P LP6 do you have?

I have the LP6 7th Anniversary edition which I was planning to keep alongside the SP3000, until I started reading about the RS8. I love how the LP6 reproduces voices, no delta sigma dap I've tried sounds as natural, but I miss having a modern interface and streaming options. The SP3000 fills that gap but I can't justify having all of these toys. Maybe the RS8 is the best of both worlds...
I know nothing about the LP6 7 AE sound. But that's definitely the appeal with the rs8.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #552 of 3,404
I'm not knocking the RS8 or its price just that too many opinions are insentivised. Carry on as you were 😅
Its a 10% incentive. That's less than sales tax in my country. My opinions are never for sale so cheap :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oct 29, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #553 of 3,404
The email from Andrew said, “that Hiby would offer you a free CR08”. So, I believe it is a manufacturer promo. To me this makes a lot of sense, as this product is $1400 more than their previous flagship, the R8. This goes into very new territory for hiby.
They very much want for this product to succeed with great numbers. The R8 had difficulties out of the gate because of its dual version product dap/cell phone and the associated delays. Hiby wants to be seen on an even playing field with their TOTL flagship with the likes of Cayin,Ibasso, L&P,Lotoo and A&K.
This is their big push into that territory.

I see the free dock as a great bonus because I already pre ordered the RS8 before the promo offer, as did many of you reading this
Seems like a Good deal all around.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2022 at 2:51 AM Post #554 of 3,404
The email from Andrew said, “that Hiby would offer you a free CR08”. So, I believe it is a manufacturer promo. To me this makes a lot of sense, as this product is $1400 more than their previous flagship, the R8. This goes into very new territory for hiby.
They very much want for this product to succeed with great numbers. The R8 had difficulties out of the gate because of its dual product dap/cell phone version and the associated delays. Hiby wants to be seen on an even playing field wither TOTL with Cayin,Ibasso, L&P,Lotoo and A&K.
This is their big push into that territory.

I see it as a great bonus because I already pre ordered the RS8 before the promo offer, as did many of you.
Good deal all around.
There was no mention of Hiby offering a free dock. At least not in Europe. They said that customers who ordered the dock alongside RS8 could get it for 100 less.

Oct 30, 2022 at 3:09 AM Post #555 of 3,404
There was no mention of Hiby offering a free dock. At least not in Europe. They said that customers who ordered the dock alongside RS8 could get it for 100 less.
I would only be speculating, but maybe they feel either that the North American market potential is larger for Hiby than Europe ? Or maybe they fell that the North American market needs an extra push to achieve a strong kickoff and attain the sales numbers they are hoping for.
As I said previously, this is a very important product launch for Hiby. I would say it is their most important product launch since their first dap player, the original R6 stainless (which I bought).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back