HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,261 of 3,177
I had some spare time today, and I used to understand the NOS/OS feature of RS6 better. I wanted to know how OS works and whether it is currently only working on MQA. I also wanted to understand the impact of RS6 OS on sound.

I first found a file from 2L nordic. I used that as a benchmark for its native recording, MQA, which OS by RS6. I also used the native file for myself to oversample it using a program called PGGB to the same level which RS6 oversample for the MQA file.
In short, OS seems to only work for the MQA file on RS6. It adds a pleasant warmth to the sound, which I usually expect DSD to sound like. The same file oversample to 705 kHz sounded sharper, more detail in the treble, which suggests Hiby on FIR filter in OS adds warmth at a sacrifice to treble speed and attack.
RS6 supports 2xDXD, which is crazy! I did not try 32bit DXD, and all files were 24 bit, but if you really have a favourite album and you want to hear what it is capable of, try upsampling it and feeding it to your RS6, you never know what you might hear!

I also tried DSD256 vs 2xDXD, I like 2xDXD more, treble was much better presented in DXD file, compared to DSD256 which sounded muffled.

It is fair to say this is the first time I've heard 2xDXD on a portable setup, colour me impressed!

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,262 of 3,177
I'm seriously torn reading this thread and due to purchase the n6ii-Ti at the end of the month. Seems that sound quality isn't far apart but RS6 a much faster machine. The n6ii-Ti costs quite a bit more too... tough decision.
Convenience and ease of use with the software is a big factor with DAPS

Nov 14, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #1,263 of 3,177
Thanks a lot for the comprehensive comparison. I paints a good picture of the differences.
Now I'm not sure if this player for me. I don't like upper mid emphasis and more prominent treble isn't ideal for Fourte I magine.
As for Tidal I didn't know it was only an MQA iasue. I should probably set it to HiFi and download the content again to see if it solves the issues.
Thanks again ,it was very helpful.:)

Well I must make something very clear, upper mids are not agressive (it's a safe upper midrange) but vibrant for sure with IEMs that are vibrant there like the Ely... and I know some people won't like it. Thing is, lower mids has good presence so you have to take this into the context of the overall RS6 "signature".

I listened 1h Aroma Thunder and it’s huge also with RS6, dunno how RS6 can be transparent, a bit warm and crazy detail retrival at the same time.
Aroma Highs are lush, rich and bodied but also well extended, bass is awesome, atmospheric, very impactful and controlled.
More I listen more I love R2R sound even on dap.
That's exactly that I love about R2R is the transparency with an organic portraying of music, that how N6ii Ti wowed me actually but it's not as meaty as the RS6 to my ears so it's richer and fuller bodied than N6ii Ti although less transparent. Can't have it all but it's refreshing to have alternative to the ESS and AKM endless variants of DAPs... it's another brand of sound :)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #1,264 of 3,177
RS6 it’s a keeper for sure ☺️

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #1,265 of 3,177
I had some spare time today, and I used to understand the NOS/OS feature of RS6 better. I wanted to know how OS works and whether it is currently only working on MQA. I also wanted to understand the impact of RS6 OS on sound.

I first found a file from 2L nordic. I used that as a benchmark for its native recording, MQA, which OS by RS6. I also used the native file for myself to oversample it using a program called PGGB to the same level which RS6 oversample for the MQA file.
In short, OS seems to only work for the MQA file on RS6. It adds a pleasant warmth to the sound, which I usually expect DSD to sound like. The same file oversample to 705 kHz sounded sharper, more detail in the treble, which suggests Hiby on FIR filter in OS adds warmth at a sacrifice to treble speed and attack.
RS6 supports 2xDXD, which is crazy! I did not try 32bit DXD, and all files were 24 bit, but if you really have a favourite album and you want to hear what it is capable of, try upsampling it and feeding it to your RS6, you never know what you might hear!

I also tried DSD256 vs 2xDXD, I like 2xDXD more, treble was much better presented in DXD file, compared to DSD256 which sounded muffled.

It is fair to say this is the first time I've heard 2xDXD on a portable setup, colour me impressed!
So you're saying PCM>DSD, at least on the RS6 which should play that through the ladder. I doubt it's the extreme DXDx2 sample rate. I've find 24/192 is for all intents, transparent, where it won't be the limiting factor in a playback chain. I do believe over/upsampling can help with postfiltering and the end result so that may have some influence here.

Higher does have it's uses in mixing etc. and part of why DXD (which is PCM) exists.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,266 of 3,177

dsd256 sounded muffled seems your unit has problem playing dsd

Nov 14, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #1,268 of 3,177
Not only does the RS6 play DSD just fine, the number of DSDs most people own - if they even own them at all - is so small compared to PCM that it makes the point moot. If you're buying an R2R DAP to primarily play DSDs, best you read up on R2R and the compromises this entails. And I repeat, the RS6 plays DSDs just fine, better than fine. If you have an issue with yours, return it and move on.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #1,270 of 3,177
I'm hoping that HiBy comes out with an RS8. Bigger battery, longer listening times, and portable/transportable/desktop features that could replace a lot of my gear (sources at least)...
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
Same here. I think the RS6 is a wonderful starting point and excellent first in the series of a new R2R-based platform. What I'd like to see next is the same organic vocal timbre of the RS6 but with improved techicalities (stage size and resolution) and a more reference tuning without overemphasis in certain areas. Tune it like the R8 with the same form factor and battery and RS8 would indeed be an apt name for it. 👍🏻

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #1,271 of 3,177
Same here. I think the RS6 is a wonderful starting point and excellent first in the series of a new R2R-based platform. What I'd like to see next is the same organic vocal timbre of the RS6 but with improved techicalities (stage size and resolution) and a more reference tuning without overemphasis in certain areas. Tune it like the R8 with the same form factor and battery and RS8 would indeed be an apt name for it. 👍🏻
Maybe they could introduce swappable Amp modules! :wink:
-HK sends

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #1,272 of 3,177
Maybe they could introduce swappable Amp modules! :wink:
-HK sends
Nah, R8 amp is just fine. They can maybe add a Campfire Audio gain mode below low gain for all those poor guys who try plug CA IEMs into a 1WPC DAP 😝

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #1,273 of 3,177
So you're saying PCM>DSD, at least on the RS6 which should play that through the ladder. I doubt it's the extreme DXDx2 sample rate. I've find 24/192 is for all intents, transparent, where it won't be the limiting factor in a playback chain. I do believe over/upsampling can help with postfiltering and the end result so that may have some influence here.

Higher does have it's uses in mixing etc. and part of why DXD (which is PCM) exists.
  • I just wanted to understand how the OS of RS6 functions and whether only MQA benefits from OS for now. It appears only MQA benefits from the OS feature of RS6.
  • I also wanted to feed RS6 the maximum playback file it accepts and compares it to the same file OS by RS6; I hear a difference.
    • Hibys OS is warmer and more forgiving.
    • Direct 2xDXD playback has a sharper attack, better transient response.
  • I made a significant error on my DSD test. It was not a deliberate error but accidental. I'm after an excellent offline DSD upsampler that does not cost 2,000 USD. I was trying to test how good the free PCMDSD program I found online function, and as a result, last night, I uploaded the wrong file into RS6. I wanted to compare the DSD256 I found on native DSD against the same file upsampled using that program.
  • I still prefer DXD compared to DSD on RS6. It appears the program does extreme filtering for the ultrasonic freq.
In short, I have nothing but praise for RS6. I will upsample my favourite albums to the maximum resolution RS6 accepts as I hear its benefit. It might also have to do with the program I used. PGGB does extreme filtering using a Matlab upsampling algorithm. The files that I used were upsampling with 256 million taps.
I'm using the free version and seriously considering buying this program. I had bad luck with its foobar version, which is the lite version of the same program.

Conclusion:
Overall, I couldn't recommend this DAP enough. I understand now why MQA sound so good on RS6. For now, Hiby only OS MQA file, and other files appear to remain in NOS format.
I also hear the benefits of upsampling my favourite album to the maximum resolution RS6 support. The added benefit appears to be a better transit response that shines on classical music. The advantage becomes much more audible for live recording; the microdetail just stands out without ever being distracting.

Tonight I will compare PGGB with the free XiVero program and see whether the benefits I hear is because of the program or RS6.

Ther is a technical video on hibys weibo, I wish I understood it. Putting it here for those who might be able to translate it if they can.

https://video.weibo.com/show?fid=1034:4698669002457109
dsd256 sounded muffled seems your unit has problem playing dsd
Please see above,

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,275 of 3,177
BTW, does anyone have any updates on RS6 vs DX300?
I am sitting on a fence as both are currently listed on local classifieds, RS6 being ~$1400 and DX300 being ~$1100 with AMP11 Mk2 and ~$1200 with AMP12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back