HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Oct 13, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #691 of 3,178
have been listening to my rs6 for few days. its sound is a little bit v shape. the contrast is tuned a bit more than I like. the high contrast may lead to an illusion that every single instrument and separations are clearer. someone said it is like Sony wm1a, I agree. too colored for my taste. but for sure it is higher resolution higher outout than wm1a.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #693 of 3,178
99% there will be RS6pro.
My money is on an RS8.
I haven't been keeping track of files used. PCM or DSD. I would assume PCM would be preferred to test a new R2R device. I would certainly not use any of these reviews as a basis for decision at this time. There's a difference between voicing and overall quality and with Hiby, it's pretty easy to adjust the voicing with available filters and players etc. I wonder if some of these reviews have folks using their favorite settings/ players used on other models as opposed to optimizing the RS6 for their preference.
Also apps like UAPP haven't been optimised for the RS6 yet.

Oct 13, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #694 of 3,178
@twister6 do you have anymore takes on the player right now, or are you waiting for an update first?

More like a dozen of other reviews in queue to get to, along with listening to prototypes of various IEMs sent for feedback, and testing different beta fw for other daps, and everything else in between and on top of that lol!!! I will get to it, of course.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #698 of 3,178
Yup. I wonder how much a copper RS8 will weigh. 🏋️‍♂️
Doubt such a large player will be copper. But I don't find the RS6 weighs too much at all. In fact it's quite light and well-balanced in the hand. But then I don't find the R8 too heavy either, nor do I carry these DAPs in my pocket.

Oct 13, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #699 of 3,178
I generally disable HiBy Music (sorry HiBy), but will likely be using it to review the RS6 unless UAPP issues a prompt update.
I use it as well but Hiby Pro player is really quite good. I integer upsample in UAPP for my R6 which is against my sensibilities but I don't let my biases rule my ears, LOL. ist be a good engine, allowed to prosper in the Hiby topology. The Hiby Pro app is more open until I do but with the right post filter I get a nice balanced mix of solidity/openness/detail with uapp in that config.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #700 of 3,178
I use it as well but Hiby Pro player is really quite good. I upsample in UAPP for my R6 which is against my sensibilities but I don't let my biases rule my ears, LOL. The Hiby Pro app is more open until I do but with the right post filter I get a nice balanced mix of solidity/openness/detail with uapp in that config.
I have absolutely no issues with HiBy Music's SQ. It's superb. It's the interface and UI grammar/spelling issues I take issue with, but those are my own hangups and shouldn't influence anyone to follow my lead. For playback, it's spot-on perfect.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #701 of 3,178
For anyone keeping track, I have the following tally on the "consensus" on the RS6 Darwin sound so far, on the basic matter of tonality, from those who commented on this aspect of it at all:
muths66: Bright
littlexx26: bright
Hong Kong youtuber: bright
lumdicks: flat
fabio19's Singapore friend: Warm
muths66's friend: warm

Feel free to add to the list with your own observation and/or correct me on my notes so far.
I don't find is bright anymore guess after long hours of burn in or my brainwash now i find it neutral-warm

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #702 of 3,178
I don't find is bright anymore guess after long hours of burn in or my brainwash now i find it neutral-warm
An R2R DAC like this needs at least 100h of burn in before it gets anywhere near stable final tonality/performance.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #703 of 3,178

head-fi expert from Hong Kong got the same comments with me. harsh treble with ier-z1r. and he also said others tried rs6 with electrostatic iems, even harsher.

I was watching it just now; however, he mentioned that the highs were bright on certain tracks but that it was a smooth, shimmering kind of high and not a harsh, piercing kind of high. He also mentions that the ultra highs were a bit more present and suggested people who were sensitive to that to try first. He further mentioned that a friend of his found the highs to be slightly harsh, but he was unsure what earphones he was using and was only assuming that his friend may have been using electrostatics as he himself did not have any electrostatics and so far he had not experienced that harshness. His overall impressions of the player was quite positive and it was something he could listen to 2 hours straight without issues.

Oct 13, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #705 of 3,178
That is encouraging! Personal preference for me is warm or neutral-warm. Definitely do not like bright sound.
I am very close to pull the trigger on the RS6... Been a while since I got a new DAP :wink:

I was watching it just now; however, he mentioned that the highs were bright on certain tracks but that it was a smooth, shimmering kind of high and not a harsh, piercing kind of high. He also mentions that the ultra highs were a bit more present and suggested people who were sensitive to that to try first. He further mentioned that a friend of his found the highs to be slightly harsh, but he was unsure what earphones he was using and was only assuming that his friend may have been using electrostatics as he himself did not have any electrostatics and so far he had not experienced that harshness. His overall impressions of the player was quite positive and it was something he could listen to 2 hours straight without issues.
I wonder if the guy burned-in his RS6. According to @gLer (and others) - an R2R DAC (or any DAP for that matter) could benefit from burn-in (which hopefully would remove any harshness or brightness in the treble).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back