HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Oct 29, 2023 at 9:50 PM Post #1,156 of 1,300
Trying a Samsung Galaxy S23FE

It works. connect the RS2 and shift USB control to it.
I'm leaving this as a future reference for head-fiers. Thanks Samsung.
So does the RS2 analog output from the phone's usb source or does it work in reverse, such as RS2 digital output run to the phone as a source and play though, say, Bluetooth?

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #1,157 of 1,300
So does the RS2 analog output from the phone's usb source or does it work in reverse, such as RS2 digital output run to the phone as a source and play though, say, Bluetooth?
The former. I can route the S23FE's audio through USB and use RS2 as a DAC. I can copy the files from the RS2 into the phone if I ever need to stream my CD rips.

For the most part, though, I'm happy this arrangement worked out in the end. I was ready to snag an old LG if this one didn't output sound either (and trust me, I tried every black magic in the book outside of using a USB cable with two heads

PS: Swissbits are bright and wet. I got a 32GB PSLC Micro-SD loaded into my RS2 and I feel Audirvana Kernel through an Oyaide USB-C from my Laptop gives me better sound than the Local Files

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #1,158 of 1,300
The former. I can route the S23FE's audio through USB and use RS2 as a DAC. I can copy the files from the RS2 into the phone if I ever need to stream my CD rips.

For the most part, though, I'm happy this arrangement worked out in the end. I was ready to snag an old LG if this one didn't output sound either (and trust me, I tried every black magic in the book outside of using a USB cable with two heads)
Okay sweet! I want to try that on my Moto RAZR Plus and my OnePlus.

I want to sell my other Dongle dacs.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #1,159 of 1,300
Okay sweet! I want to try that on my Moto RAZR Plus and my OnePlus.

I want to sell my other Dongle dacs.
Good Luck. I tried a Motorola Thinkphone and a Oneplus 11 and they didn't work. Perhaps the RS2 might not be the best option for you. I might even advice against it.

Oct 29, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #1,160 of 1,300
I think the phone must have reverse USB charging to handshake the RS2. Both the Velvet and the S23FE seem to have it. I thought perhaps the pinout that allows the OP11 and the Thinkphone to have ridiculously quick charging (100W and 67W respectively vs 25W and 18W for the S23FE and the Velvet) might have a hand on this, especially since all but the OP11 have USB-C 3.1 (the 11 has USB-C 2.0)

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #1,161 of 1,300
I think the phone must have reverse USB charging to handshake the RS2. Both the Velvet and the S23FE seem to have it. I thought perhaps the pinout that allows the OP11 and the Thinkphone to have ridiculously quick charging (100W and 67W respectively vs 25W and 18W for the S23FE and the Velvet) might have a hand on this, especially since all but the OP11 have USB-C 3.1 (the 11 has USB-C 2.0)
I can get my Moto RAZR Plus to handshake. No such luck with Sony, OnePlus, or Asus.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #1,162 of 1,300
I can get my Moto RAZR Plus to handshake. No such luck with Sony, OnePlus, or Asus.
Yeouch. I almost pulled the trigger on both the Zenfone 10 and/or the Xperia 5 V (because of the Head-Fi thread). So thankful the Samsung worked, I've had the RS2 for a year so it's got emotional value. Kudos that your RAZR+ worked!

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,163 of 1,300
Yeouch. I almost pulled the trigger on both the Zenfone 10 and/or the Xperia 5 V (because of the Head-Fi thread). So thankful the Samsung worked, I've had the RS2 for a year so it's got emotional value. Kudos that your RAZR+ worked!
Ok I figured out how to get all my phones to work 100%. I needed to provide power to the phone while outputting otg to the RS2. I have a ddhifi tc28cpro that did the trick. Basically it's a lack of power problem.

https://imgur.com/a/OV8HVzm

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #1,164 of 1,300
Ok I figured out how to get all my phones to work 100%. I needed to provide power to the phone while outputting otg to the RS2. I have a ddhifi tc28cpro that did the trick. Basically it's a lack of power problem.

https://imgur.com/a/OV8HVzm
Yes. That's what I'd figured out. The phone must provide a 5V handshake to the Hiby before they can connect. At least for me, since I use the RS2 on the go it would be too much of a clunky solution.

However, I'm glad you found a way to somewhat-universally have it work with Android phones.

Congrats!

Hopefully future owners of the RS2 come across your post in case they have the same problem.

Search Engine Keywords:
Hiby RS2 USB
Hiby RS2 Smartphone
Hiby RS2 Phone Connect
How to connect USB DAC to phone

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #1,165 of 1,300
Yes. That's what I'd figured out. The phone must provide a 5V handshake to the Hiby before they can connect. At least for me, since I use the RS2 on the go it would be too much of a clunky solution.

However, I'm glad you found a way to somewhat-universally have it work with Android phones.

Congrats!

Hopefully future owners of the RS2 come across your post in case they have the same problem.

Search Engine Keywords:
Hiby RS2 USB
Hiby RS2 Smartphone
Hiby RS2 Phone Connect
How to connect USB DAC to phone
Thanks and good idea!

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,166 of 1,300
Really keen on getting this unit - can anyone confirm that the song limit is now 50,000 after the newest firmware? And does anyone use this with a large library that can comment on how snappy the UI is? I am approaching 50k songs and that could be a deal breaker for me, especially if it is very sluggish. Really trying to avoid another android based DAP.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,167 of 1,300
Really keen on getting this unit - can anyone confirm that the song limit is now 50,000 after the newest firmware? And does anyone use this with a large library that can comment on how snappy the UI is? I am approaching 50k songs and that could be a deal breaker for me, especially if it is very sluggish. Really trying to avoid another android based DAP.
I don't have any tagged files but with 2, 256G cards I'm able to navigate the directory structure faster than I could with my old FiiOs.

The UI seems snappy enough, but it has some quirks and the some of the default settings are badly chosen.

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,168 of 1,300
Hello all you guys.
I'm new RS2'owner (about 2 weeks ago).

Everything perfect with this little DAP just only one: my device has lagging problem when playing file .wav 192khz (PCM floating point). I check with other devices & play normal. But RS2 playing perfectly with file .flac 192khz.
Just wav file and 192khz samplerate cause lagging problem (RS2 play SACD/DSD64 normal, what the hell!!!)
My setting:
+ ouput: 3.5mm
+ gain: low (or high depend on IEM/headphones)
+ volume: 50-68 (depend on IEM/headphones)
+ NOS
+ MSEB & EQ: off
---> you guys here does anyone have same problem like me?

@Joe Bloggs: my lagging problem is the limitation of RS2'hardware and can't be fixed or it's just a bug, easilly fixed by new firmware update?
But anw thanks all you guys in Hiby Music, I really love my little DAP. Pocket friendly and perfect for people like me (not audiophile and dont use any streaming service, my friends always laugh and call me "the ancient one" :)) )

Again, thanks all you guys and happy listenning!

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,169 of 1,300
Hi, you mean wav specifically, not FLAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back