HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 16, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #451 of 1,291
Why does the sun come up? Or are the stars just pin holes in the curtain of night?

Each of us must decide for ourselves which path to take.
Hahaha I see. I mean what is the difference.

Sep 16, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #453 of 1,291
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #454 of 1,291
Hahaha I see. I mean what is the difference.

1663328243093.png

https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-rs2

Sep 16, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #455 of 1,291
Sep 16, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #456 of 1,291
Stars are exceedingly distant, exceedingly long explosions.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #461 of 1,291
I saw on Hiby’s Weibo page that they will be releasing a new RS series DAP, being announced on July 2. They said on Weibo:

“Return to the original, pure tone. This is probably the purist music player we have so far. It has no other functions you can think of.”

On the 2nd picture, if you zoom in, you can see the product name is RS2, so this appears to be the entry level DAP in the RS series, probably replacing the older R3Pro/R2 DAPs.

As they say that this is a pure music DAP with no other functions, that probably means no Android and no access to streaming Tidal or Qobuz.

I am very much looking forward to a compact, pure music dap that is an upgrade to the R3Pro.

Update: the RS2 has officially been launched. Press release can be found here: https://store.hiby.com/blogs/press/hiby-rs2-press

It may be preordered up to 5 September with early bird specials as shown here:
https://store.hiby.com/products/hiby-rs2

A collation of the RS2 launch slides:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-rs2-r2r-dap-surprise.26041/

Sep 16, 2022 at 12:57 PM Post #462 of 1,291
any sound comparison RS2 and cayin RU6?
To my ears, RS2 lacks in the amplifier section. RS2 in low gain mode doesn't give enough to iems like 64audio A18t or itsfit Fusion. Very easy to drive iems. When I switch to High gain, then could hear a well defined body. This is with NOS tuned on. Lack of power for even easily driven iems was a surprise to me. Not sure if others had a similar experience.

RU6 on the other hand is effortless even in low gain mode. This is with NOS tuned on.

RS2 is punchy in the bass when the song has it. RU6 bass is slightly different in that it doesn't punch but has all the things that a good bass should have. Personally I find both good. different people different preferences kind of thing.

RU6 surrounds you more with sound in height and width. RS2 has good width but not as wide as RU6 and doesn't envelope you as RU6 does.

RS2 is less analog sounding than RU6. May be fiddling more with MSEB settings will get it to that level.

Resolution is more with RU6 than with RS2.

I was expecting RS2 to slot in between RU6 and Cayin N6ii+R01. But it isn't so. It is like RS2 is a side-grade to me than an upgrade.

RS2 has a lots of options to configure the sound with MSEB. RU6 is plug & play. Low gain or high gain. NOS or OS.

This is with around 150 hours on RS2 and with those iems mentioned above. Your mileage might vary and your preferences will dictate your choice

Sep 16, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #464 of 1,291
Sep 16, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #465 of 1,291
To my ears, RS2 lacks in the amplifier section. RS2 in low gain mode doesn't give enough to iems like 64audio A18t or itsfit Fusion. Very easy to drive iems. When I switch to High gain, then could hear a well defined body. This is with NOS tuned on. Lack of power for even easily driven iems was a surprise to me. Not sure if others had a similar experience.

RU6 on the other hand is effortless even in low gain mode. This is with NOS tuned on.

RS2 is punchy in the bass when the song has it. RU6 bass is slightly different in that it doesn't punch but has all the things that a good bass should have. Personally I find both good. different people different preferences kind of thing.

RU6 surrounds you more with sound in height and width. RS2 has good width but not as wide as RU6 and doesn't envelope you as RU6 does.

RS2 is less analog sounding than RU6. May be fiddling more with MSEB settings will get it to that level.

Resolution is more with RU6 than with RS2.

I was expecting RS2 to slot in between RU6 and Cayin N6ii+R01. But it isn't so. It is like RS2 is a side-grade to me than an upgrade.

RS2 has a lots of options to configure the sound with MSEB. RU6 is plug & play. Low gain or high gain. NOS or OS.

This is with around 150 hours on RS2 and with those iems mentioned above. Your mileage might vary and your preferences will dictate your choice
Well, I am driving the RS2 predominantly on high gain - for me in 90% of iems and headphones it is delivering more texture and resolution in high gain. I also think it is the power to blame. But on the other hand I do not plan to run my Arya or T60rp with it. So, for me it does the job - the HD560s, the Sundara, the AA Xi-55, the Denon 5200 and Sony Z7M2 are enough.
On the technicalities - I do not hear it like RS2 being minor to the Cayin RU6. Yes, the the RU6 is great value, an amazing dac. But it cannot scale up with premium sound iems - Sony IER-Z1R and UM Mest v1 and other iems and entry audiophile headphones perform quite better with the RS2 vs RU6. Second, RS2's sound stage, according to me, is wider and with bigger depth. And RS2 resolution is superior. The RU6 is more energetic and intense in presentation but minor to detail. I paired the RS2 and the RU6 to my Stax SRM-007t + Stax Lambda Signature / Stax SR-007 and the RS2 beats the RU6.
A more detailed info from me here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hiby-rs2-r2r-dap-surprise.26041/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back