HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Aug 30, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #317 of 1,276
Comparisons between the RS2 and AK100II x HCC with DJ44K.

Given: Using ESR MK2, balanced. Various file formats. No EQ, no MSEB, Darwin Default Filter. Volume matched (as close as I can). NOS enabled on the RS2. Both daps have over 200 hours play time.

Why compare to a 6 year old DAP you say? Aside from the fact that both DAPs are green :thinking: - Well, I based it on my purchased price, not SRP. I got the AK100II (NOS) for only US$215 versus to the RS2's US$412 - close enough. :grin: Still say that they are unfair comparisons if based on SRP, sue me. :stuck_out_tongue:

20220830_220931.jpg

Bass - RS2's bass is bloated if directly compared to the AK. Not as refined, not as impactful. Not it's strong suit. I find myself enjoying upbeat genres on the AK more than on the RS2. Bass heads, this is not for you.

Mids - RS2's strength is with vocals. Specially female vocals, brings more weight, warmth, plenty of body to female vocals. Listening to some Adele tracks, it brings much more focus, much more intimate listening. Much smoother as well which adds to the intimate listening.

Highs - AK has more sparkly highs. AK has more clarity. Is it sloppy? Not really, it's just AK presented a more sharper, defined, clearer treble.

Soundstage - RS2 has a smaller soundstage in both width and height as compared to the AK. It's smaller but doesn't sound too small, I'd say "average" and the AK is a couple of notches of improvement.

Firmware Improvements on the RS2 (1.02) - when browsing per folder, if I go 2 folder depths - it will fail to show the contents of the 2nd folder depth, instead, it will display the same folder contents of the 1st folder depth. To resolve this, I have to select "Back" and go back/select the 2nd folder depth again - then it will now show the contents properly. This issue is intermittent though, but still hope this gets ironed out in future updates.

My conclusions: If I want to listen to slow musical genres, if I want an intimate, laid back listening experience, I'll be reaching for the RS2. There's just something in it's warm tonality, full body and smooth mids that its perfect for the job!

Summary: Is the RS2 bad (it sounds like it)? Not by a chance - I'm comparing it to a DAP that's almost twice its (SRP) price. It really isn't a fair comparison - as with all gears, you really can't have it all, specially at this price point. Is it a good buy? Well, that depends on your listening preference - if you listen to mostly upbeat genres, the RS2 might not be for you. But if you want a smooth, immersive experience with your slower tracks/genres (specially with female vocals), then this DAP is a worthy addition to your collection. :wink:

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #319 of 1,276
Honestly, current R2R trend is a revival of an older technology. If you compare objective measurement, or subjective listening experience focusing on resolution and sharpness, DS is way advanced, no contest.

The only appeal of R2R, especially at the similar price level, is the subjective "musicality". The analogue sound of R2R is more dense, lush, and depends on personal preference, may not be your things.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #320 of 1,276
I really love the form factor of RS2, and the R2R musicality is also appealing to me. However, since I already have RU6, and my next DAP purchase will be my only DAP to use (I won't use DAP at home, and I don't want to be a collector of various DAPs), RS2 is no long the top choice for me now.

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #321 of 1,276
Just curious. Why buy the RS2 if you already have the RS6?
Two things, firstly I had it in the past and sold it for funds requirements. Secondly, I am developing myself as an audio gear reviewer so I keep on changing gears at regular intervals. In recent times I found some gears worth holding on for(Solaris OG, IE600 in IEMs), SHanling M7 in Android Player(although I want to upgrade it to M9 but too costly), ZMF Auteur(HPs that I absolutely adore but recently had to sell them to procure funds for next purchase), Questyle M15.

Auteurs will come back in the future, IE600, M15, and Solaris OG are here to stay for a long time now hehe. RS2 if it sounds anywhere close to RS6, I won't sell it anytime soon either.

Aug 30, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #323 of 1,276
I have Dap's that lean neutral and do well enough with the technicalities. My entire interest in the RS2 is for a more colored, "musical" presentation. I really don't think there will be any way to know whether it will suit me without buying it. Reviews will only help me if they turn up hardware or software issues. I came pretty close to buying the RS6 on more than one occasion but was a bit costly to take a chance on. This one is more reasonable. And from the impressions that are trickling out, it seems like it has a similiar overall presentation to the RS6. I've read the same things regarding the "warmth" ... the slow and pillowy bass and the rolled treble with the special sauce being in the mids.
On the fence but still thinking about it.

Aug 30, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #324 of 1,276
Comparisons between the RS2 and AK100II x HCC with DJ44K.

Given: Using ESR MK2, balanced. Various file formats. No EQ, no MSEB, Darwin Default Filter. Volume matched (as close as I can). NOS enabled on the RS2. Both daps have over 200 hours play time.

Why compare to a 6 year old DAP you say? Aside from the fact that both DAPs are green :thinking: - Well, I based it on my purchased price, not SRP. I got the AK100II (NOS) for only US$215 versus to the RS2's US$412 - close enough. :grin: Still say that they are unfair comparisons if based on SRP, sue me. :stuck_out_tongue:

20220830_220931.jpg

Bass - RS2's bass is bloated if directly compared to the AK. Not as refined, not as impactful. Not it's strong suit. I find myself enjoying upbeat genres on the AK more than on the RS2. Bass heads, this is not for you.

Mids - RS2's strength is with vocals. Specially female vocals, brings more weight, warmth, plenty of body to female vocals. Listening to some Adele tracks, it brings much more focus, much more intimate listening. Much smoother as well which adds to the intimate listening.

Highs - AK has more sparkly highs. AK has more clarity. Is it sloppy? Not really, it's just AK presented a more sharper, defined, clearer treble.

Soundstage - RS2 has a smaller soundstage in both width and height as compared to the AK. It's smaller but doesn't sound too small, I'd say "average" and the AK is a couple of notches of improvement.

Firmware Improvements on the RS2 (1.02) - when browsing per folder, if I go 2 folder depths - it will fail to show the contents of the 2nd folder depth, instead, it will display the same folder contents of the 1st folder depth. To resolve this, I have to select "Back" and go back/select the 2nd folder depth again - then it will now show the contents properly. This issue is intermittent though, but still hope this gets ironed out in future updates.

My conclusions: If I want to listen to slow musical genres, if I want an intimate, laid back listening experience, I'll be reaching for the RS2. There's just something in it's warm tonality, full body and smooth mids that its perfect for the job!

Summary: Is the RS2 bad (it sounds like it)? Not by a chance - I'm comparing it to a DAP that's almost twice its (SRP) price. It really isn't a fair comparison - as with all gears, you really can't have it all, specially at this price point. Is it a good buy? Well, that depends on your listening preference - if you listen to mostly upbeat genres, the RS2 might not be for you. But if you want a smooth, immersive experience with your slower tracks/genres (specially with female vocals), then this DAP is a worthy addition to your collection. :wink:
Sounds like it might not be a great option for hard rock and metal. More suited to something like Fleetwood Mac, etc.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #327 of 1,276
I am wondering how this unit will compare with AKM based DAPs. I have heard any number of chipsets for traditional sigma delta but keep coming back to AKM as my favorite. But R2R seems to provide similar sound benefits so I am intrigued. And I love having the volume wheel and usability as a super dongle.
I have an Acro with AKM that I have been comparing the Cayin RU6 and now the Hiby Rs2 with.

I think you will enjoy R2R as I definately feel a similarity. R2R gives me nice detail with the lower and MIDS. The Acro sounds a little brighter, but without sibilance. Both have an overall smooth and relaxing presentation.

The Hiby is coming along fine for me. I felt the high frequencies a little scratchy to start off, but is now starting to smooth out.

Running it as a dac is without hitches on PC and laptop, but it's a little trickier for me attaching it to my Samsung S22ultra. I think it's a little OTG sensitive. It will work, but I need to instruct the Samsung to take control of the device. It hasn't been an automatic connection like with my dac dongles.

I feel that R2R gives me something quite close to vaccum tube like sound, but comparing it to the Nutubes on my Dx300, the Nutubes will give a slightly more warming presentation.

20220830_125002.jpg

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #328 of 1,276
The Acro's a cool-looking piece of gear. Pity about the price.

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #329 of 1,276
The Acro's a cool-looking piece of gear. Pity about the price.
Yep, retail price seemed rather inflated. Competent piece of kit, although the different EQ options don't seem to change anything discernable

Aug 31, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #330 of 1,276
May I know if anybody has compared RS2 and Cayin N3 Pro please?

I don't have N3 Pro anymore, but as I remember, N3 Pro ( 3.5mm Tube mode ) is warmer, mids is thicker. RS2 ( 4.4mm ) sound is more refined, better separation and bass, a bit brighter highs. They share similar organic tuning, and RS2 is cleaner and darker. N3 Pro is more focus on the mids, RS2 is relatively more balanced sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back