HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Aug 4, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #121 of 1,283
Just did the pre-order with Hiby. Now the wait starts- end of Aug/start of Sept? Hopefully sooner...

Aug 4, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #122 of 1,283
Just did the pre-order with Hiby. Now the wait starts- end of Aug/start of Sept? Hopefully sooner...
Later is fine with me as I go on Holliday 23rd August and don’t return home until Sunday 25th September

Aug 4, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #123 of 1,283
If this turns out to be a successful product for them, do you think Hiby would release a version with a more powerful amplifier?

In other words, it would be a tier higher than this one, obviously more expensive, and maybe with a bit larger screen and of course a more powerful amplifier?

I would love to have a version of this that could better power my HD 6XX and planars.

I just love the idea of a player that is not tied whatsoever to the Internet.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #124 of 1,283
If this turns out to be a successful product for them, do you think Hiby would release a version with a more powerful amplifier?

In other words, it would be a tier higher than this one, obviously more expensive, and maybe with a bit larger screen and of course a more powerful amplifier?

I would love to have a version of this that could better power my HD 6XX and planars.

Second that.
I don’t need android. Would love a small, stripped down R2R dap.
The hamstrung UI didn’t fully lose me but the low output power does.
Exciting device nevertheless. Look forward to impressions

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #125 of 1,283

I believe that's what the dedicated line out is for. I will enjoy connecting the RS2 to my Vali 2 amp for my 6XX enjoyment.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #127 of 1,283

Isn't that RS6? I think the ideal of pure music player is its ultra-portability, if you want more power to drive fullsize HP, you will be more likely less mobile in usage, and more likely to want wifi and bluetooth.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #128 of 1,283
I am torn between this and the iBasso dx170. I like the smaller footprint of this one, more pocketable for sure.
Me too. I read so many totally polarized opionions regarding R2R SQ in RS6 thread, and I guess it is safer to buy DX170 (at least for me as DX160 current owner), but for RS2, blind buy right now will be a leap of faith. If you don't mind waiting, it might be safer to wait until you have enough reviews for both DAP.

However, even if you have lots of reviews, unless one of them turns out to be a total failure, there will be love and hate for RS2 for sure. The only way to know whether you like the RS2 sound signature or not is to demo yourself, or a blind buy if you can't.

Aug 4, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #130 of 1,283
$480 and only 10 hours of battery life? Solid pass for me.
I'd have maybe considered it if it had double the endurance, but 10h just isn't enough.
Well, 10 hours are not impressive but for the price range, it is normal. For example, DX170 has up to 11 hours. Hiby R5 Gen 2 has much longer time with ECO mode, but with class A mode, it is also similar.

However, I agree that's a miss for Hiby, since it is a pure music player without Android/wifi/bluetooth, it should have much longer play time and there is room for a larger battery for a slightly larger form factor.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #131 of 1,283
Well, 10 hours are not impressive but for the price range, it is normal. For example, DX170 has up to 11 hours. Hiby R5 Gen 2 has much longer time with ECO mode, but with class A mode, it is also similar.

However, I agree that's a miss for Hiby, since it is a pure music player without Android/wifi/bluetooth, it should have much longer play time and there is room for a larger battery for a slightly larger form factor.
I think it's something they should work at, though. Especially on small devices like this, since they're more likely to be used on the go. The DX170 and similar devices are a lot bigger, so I give them a little more leeway. My Plenue D3, for example, gets something like 30 hours of battery life. This might be more powerful, but also has a much, much larger battery. The $480 and battery life were separate thoughts; the price is a bit higher than I'd want to spend on something like this, I was expecting $399.

It's a shame. The form factor is exactly what I'd look for in an end game DAP. Looks like the SR25 MK2 is back to the top of the list.

Aug 5, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #132 of 1,283
When I am searching for a new DAP, it just occurred to me that at this price point, a used Sony NW-WM1A could be a better choice with the only exception of a little bit too large in form factor and unknown batter life from the used item.

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:16 AM Post #133 of 1,283
When I am searching for a new DAP, it just occurred to me that at this price point, a used Sony NW-WM1A could be a better choice with the only exception of a little bit too large in form factor and unknown batter life from the used item.
I’ve got 3 Sony daps that I love but want to try an alternative approach abd the 2 card slots would be great as my library is too big to fit on one. I have mailed Hiby asking about the track limit to the library as I have around 90.000 tracks in my full library

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #134 of 1,283
Hiby has just answered my e-mail. The library will be build into one library for both slots but there is a track limit of 50.000 tracks in the library however all tracks are accessable via folder view

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #135 of 1,283
This may just be the DAP I'm looking for to use with my IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back