HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #1,261 of 1,274
Hello anyone know how to operate RS2 as a balanced line out dac? Or just manualy crank the volume up?

Anyway, ive been RS2 users for about a year and has been very happy with the purchased. The 3,5mm output and raw power leaves something to be desired with, but the SQ of 4.4mm and LO is comparable even with the best dap in the industry.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #1,262 of 1,274
Hello anyone know how to operate RS2 as a balanced line out dac? Or just manualy crank the volume up?

Anyway, ive been RS2 users for about a year and has been very happy with the purchased. The 3,5mm output and raw power leaves something to be desired with, but the SQ of 4.4mm and LO is comparable even with the best dap in the industry.
The LO is fixed. When you use the 4.4 you are using the amp of RS2 and than you amp second time!!!! The LO reveals better and fully (no internal amping) the DAC beauty of RS2.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #1,263 of 1,274
The LO is fixed. When you use the 4.4 use the amp of RS2 and than you amp second time!!!! The LO reveals better and fully (no internal amping) the DAC beauty of RS2.
I understand about that, i just hope that rs2 can do something about it because the 3.5mm LO output doesnt have high gain compared to 4.4mm out.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #1,264 of 1,274
Probably, when switching to standby mode, the dap stops powering the SD card, minimizing energy costs...
When waking up, the dap resumes power supply to the SD card and other components that were also deprived of power, this takes some time... just at the time when all components wake up, we see a message about connecting an SD card...
in other daps, for example TempoTec V3, this message is absent, but even there it takes time to awaken all components of the dap, although the dap does not inform us about this...
there is no other way to get rid of the message other than turning off standby mode, IMHO

Jokes aside, my actual issue is that you cannot start playing after you have paused the music for 20-30s (aprrox, didn't time it) while screen is off. I understand it is trying to conserve energy but frankly give us an option to extend the time-out to a longer duration for these buttons. There are moments where you need to pause the music for a short time only to find you can't resume the song instantly. You need to turn on the display and then resume playing. The message gets irritating during these brief session pauses and ultimately sours the experience. I don't mind seeing the message after I've paused the music for at least an hour or so.

The double tap to wake feature is enabled on my device from the beginning and it adds negligible power drain while DAP is idle. I fail to see why physical buttons (play/pause) cannot remain active for a while during standby.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #1,265 of 1,274
You need to turn on the display and then resume playing

I understand what we are talking about... obviously, the hiby firmware cannot directly influence the shutdown time of the SD card when the screen is off... All that remains is to extend the screen operating time for the activity of the SD card, for example, using the following settings:

backlight time -- stay on or 120s

idle time -- 10min or off

sleep time -- off

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #1,267 of 1,274
Darwin V2--Is the RS2 ever going to get a firmware update with them? Has to be asked every once in a while...
I wonder that, too.

@Joe Bloggs, is there a way to load V2 on the RS2 like you can on the RS6?

Apr 4, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #1,268 of 1,274
@Joe Bloggs want to connect RS2 to a portable amp such as the Venture Electronics r2-bfe which has 4.4mm balanced input what type of cable would I need to enjoy the r2r playback through the amp? Is the 3.5mm line out balanced? Or can I use the normal 4.4mm headphone output to connect to the amps input?

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:26 AM Post #1,269 of 1,274
The 3.5 LO is not balanced but believe me it is good enough. You have to use 3,5 to 4,4 balanced but I recommend you to use normal 3,5 to 3,5 - the difference will be negligible. If you use the 4.4 balanced of RS2 you will do: 1/ use the amp of the Hiby - HIBY w/o its amp has very clean and musical presentation with LO; 2/ amp again with the external amp.

Apr 5, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #1,270 of 1,274
The 3.5 LO is not balanced but believe me it is good enough. You have to use 3,5 to 4,4 balanced but I recommend you to use normal 3,5 to 3,5 - the difference will be negligible. If you use the 4.4 balanced of RS2 you will do: 1/ use the amp of the Hiby - HIBY w/o its amp has very clean and musical presentation with LO; 2/ amp again with the external amp.
Cheers I'll get the NX7 then very simple explanation thank you.

Apr 5, 2024 at 5:16 PM Post #1,272 of 1,274

Attachments

• IMG_6978.jpg
    IMG_6978.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #1,273 of 1,274
Could someone compare RS2 with R3 ii (on sound quality only) ?
Is there a big gap ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back