HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,032 of 3,161
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #3,035 of 3,161
Well, my battery problem in the R8 is getting worse. The degree of self-discharge per 24 hrs is increasing and it's around 16-18% now. Meanwhile, when when actually playing music it consistently loses 7% per hour.

If this continues, I'll soon have a brick that needs to be kept on the charger whenever it's not in use.
Any recommendations for a DAP with comparable sound quality AND solid battery? It can even be a non-Android device.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #3,036 of 3,161
Well, my battery problem in the R8 is getting worse. The degree of self-discharge per 24 hrs is increasing and it's around 16-18% now. Meanwhile, when when actually playing music it consistently loses 7% per hour.

If this continues, I'll soon have a brick that needs to be kept on the charger whenever it's not in use.
Any recommendations for a DAP with comparable sound quality AND solid battery? It can even be a non-Android device.
Oh that's not very nice. But 7% per hour is fine isn't it?

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,037 of 3,161

Are you turning it completely off when at rest or allowing android apps to do their background thing.

Dec 11, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #3,038 of 3,161
Oh that's not very nice. But 7% per hour is fine isn't it?
Are you turning it completely off when at rest or allowing android apps to do their background thing.
Yes, my R8 has consistently lost about 7% of battery per 1 hour of music playback. I consider this a pretty good performance, and this tells me that battery capacity likely isn't deteriorating. But for the life of me I can't understand why the self-discharge of the battery when the device is completely turned OFF is getting worse.

Dec 11, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #3,039 of 3,161
Yes, my R8 has consistently lost about 7% of battery per 1 hour of music playback. I consider this a pretty good performance, and this tells me that battery capacity likely isn't deteriorating. But for the life of me I can't understand why the self-discharge of the battery when the device is completely turned OFF is getting worse.
Greetings. I already wrote here about this problem. My p8 battery started degrading from February of this year all of a sudden. With the battery of my p8, everything is the same as yours.
Does not play loses up to 20%.
If he plays, then also +/-7%

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #3,040 of 3,161

Go with the best, eventually. Lotoo LP6k ,LPGT or Questyle QP1R. Pure players for your music collection

Dec 11, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,042 of 3,161
Hi, sorry to read about this. Fortunately my R8 is fine. But I'm wondering, when you just leave it in standby, does it drain this much too? Because mine can lose only 1% for a whole night in standby. It may work on your unit too since your battery seems OK.
I actually never checked. I'll do that tonight and report.

Dec 11, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,043 of 3,161
I’ve had my R8 about a year and lose about the same during playback and about 10% per day when turned off. I generally listen in bed every night for an hour so a full charge lasts about 4 days, which is fine for me. I always leave it ‘off’ when not in use. I recharge when it reaches 20% and the automatic battery charge settings shuts off charging when it reaches 90%.

I have a Cayin C9 at home and when there I pair R8 LO to C9 and keep R8 in low gain, turbo off screen brightness low and control playback level on the C9. All this reduces the discharge when playing R8.

I got a Cayin N6ii as a backup and keep the R01 module in (my favorite)— eventually the R8 will need to be sent to Hiby in China for a battery change. The N6ii keeps its charge much longer without the same daily discharge as the R8.

BTW @Whitigir has been making some noises about someone starting a service center for ChiFi devices in N America— if that happens it will be a good alternative for devices out of warranty that need to change batteries or get other service.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #3,044 of 3,161
Hi, sorry to read about this. Fortunately my R8 is fine. But I'm wondering, when you just leave it in standby, does it drain this much too? Because mine can lose only 1% for a whole night in standby. It may work on your unit too since your battery seems OK.
Hello.
Previously, too, the battery of my p8 lost up to 1% per night. But suddenly, one day, everything changed. I spotted. Now it loses up to 10% overnight, but when it plays 7-10% in 1 hour.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #3,045 of 3,161
I’ve had my R8 about a year and lose about the same during playback and about 10% per day when turned off. I generally listen in bed every night for an hour so a full charge lasts about 4 days, which is fine for me. I always leave it ‘off’ when not in use. I recharge when it reaches 20% and the automatic battery charge settings shuts off charging when it reaches 90%.

I have a Cayin C9 at home and when there I pair R8 LO to C9 and keep R8 in low gain, turbo off screen brightness low and control playback level on the C9. All this reduces the discharge when playing R8.

I got a Cayin N6ii as a backup and keep the R01 module in (my favorite)— eventually the R8 will need to be sent to Hiby in China for a battery change. The N6ii keeps its charge much longer without the same daily discharge as the R8.

BTW @Whitigir has been making some noises about someone starting a service center for ChiFi devices in N America— if that happens it will be a good alternative for devices out of warranty that need to change batteries or get other service.
Hello.
I would replace the battery myself, someone would sell a new one with delivery to Ukraine🥺

Users who are viewing this thread

Back