HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jul 2, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,671 of 3,161
Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 10.10.45.png

Has HiBy silently 'revised' the R8? Seems they've taken the RAM and storage of the 4G model and made it available as a 'new' version of the R8, with a higher price tag of course. Considering they sold the 4G stainless steel version with the same specs for the same price, that's a bit of a cheek if you ask me, especially if this is a quiet revision and the 'old' 4GB/64GB model is no longer available.
Maybe to do with inflation/supply chain issues. iFi has also increased the price of the iDSD Signature and Diablo by $100/ea as well.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #2,672 of 3,161
Do most users who buy these expensive DAPs really discern a difference between, say, 64GB & 128GB internal storage?

I ask because I could not care less about intentional storage, barring a maker offering a massive internal storage (with a massive price too) of like 1TB.

Jul 2, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,673 of 3,161
Do most users who buy these expensive DAPs really discern a difference between, say, 64GB & 128GB internal storage?

I ask because I could not care less about intentional storage, barring a maker offering a massive internal storage (with a massive price too) of like 1TB.
I can't say internal storage is much of a consideration, no. At this price 1TB would be nice, but only so I wouldn't have to buy a super expensive 1TB card. To be honest I'm finding myself using dLNA via UAPP most of the time because I'm at home anyway, and bypass local storage completely (UAPP gives me bitperfect file playback, including DSD, via WiFi and dLNA, so I have access to my 4TB library at all times).

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #2,674 of 3,161
When my library was 1.2TB, the AK SE200's 256 gigs internal storage meant I didn't have to choose what to transfer, while the R8's SS 128 Gigs meant I had to choose 100 gis not to transfer. More of a hassle than anything.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #2,675 of 3,161
For the ones who have not noticed, or was lazy enough not to check what is new:

"HiBy R8 firmware update 1.29G was released! Now incorporates TIDAL's High Fidelity music library in HiByMusic app, bringing Hi-Fi lossless ..."

Funny enough the changelog for 1.29G is not yet visible on the Hiby diwnload page, this text above is from search engine. The full text can be seen on Facebook, but I do not have account, and somehow I can not copy paste text from there.

Jul 11, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #2,676 of 3,161
HiBy R8 firmware update 1.29G was released! Now incorporates TIDAL's High Fidelity music library in HiByMusic app, bringing Hi-Fi lossless streaming music on the go.
1. Added online music content from TIDAL in HiByMusic app;
2. Added UAT TWS+ support;
3. Added individual update function to HiByMusic app;
4. Various other bug fixes.
Simply tap on Wireless Update in your app drawer while connected to the internet through WiFi to search for and install the new update.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,678 of 3,161
I can't say internal storage is much of a consideration, no. At this price 1TB would be nice, but only so I wouldn't have to buy a super expensive 1TB card. To be honest I'm finding myself using dLNA via UAPP most of the time because I'm at home anyway, and bypass local storage completely (UAPP gives me bitperfect file playback, including DSD, via WiFi and dLNA, so I have access to my 4TB library at all times).
Do you also stream DSD through dLNA? I tried that thru UAPP and it wasn't smooth at all!

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,682 of 3,161
How does this compare to LPGT?

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #2,684 of 3,161
Just a heads-up, I will be putting mine up for sale soon. While it's only the 64GB version, it does have the Dignis case and the leather carry-case. It will be available to the U.S. Lower 48. I post again when the advert is up.
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends
Any reason behind?
How did you find it with the Empyrean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back