HiBy R8 User Impressions
Apr 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #2,446 of 3,161
I use a SanDisk 400GB card with my R8 and it works perfectly. Nice and fast and very reliable. I generally stick to the well known brands like SanDisk from a reputable source.
+1 vote for SanDisk. I have 2x400Gb (Extreme and Extreme Pro) and 1x1Tb Extreme Pro. Never had any problems with them.
Worth to say, I also have Lexar 512Gb, no problem as well, but I remember there was many negative comments about Lexar manufacturing quality.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #2,447 of 3,161
I have had zero problems with either Sandisk or Samsung, sd, microsd, ssd, or M2 drives. Just buy where you are sure they are not fakes! Audio is a low-ish speed/bandwith activity. (24/192K stereo is 9.2Mb/sec--if i calculated correctly) The most intensive acitivy occurs when you transfer 100's og gigs of data to them (using a card reader on the computer.) Get one a little bigger than you think you need (so long as your device is compatibl with that capacity). Pay for speed if the price is right.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,448 of 3,161
Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered a 512 GB SanDisk extreme.

Apr 18, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #2,449 of 3,161
I use a SanDisk 400GB card with my R8 and it works perfectly. Nice and fast and very reliable. I generally stick to the well known brands like SanDisk from a reputable source.
I want to use a SanDisk card in the R8 so that I can download tidal tracks to use off line. Does anyone know, very roughly, how many tidal master songs you could expect to get on a 400GB micro SD card?

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #2,450 of 3,161
12k songs if you assume 33 MB per song. It depends on average song length, if they're all MQA etc.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #2,451 of 3,161
12k songs if you assume 33 MB per song. It depends on average song length, if they're all MQA etc.
Thanks. That is a lot of songs. I never really knew how much a card could hold.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #2,453 of 3,161
I would need a 4TB card to hold my entire library. Hence I use a 'smaller' card for keeping some of my favourites local, but mostly listen to my library (stored on a 24x7 Plex server) via DLNA using UAPP.

Hey Buddy! Got a license for all them acronyms? lol I have been playing with Roon on my 2000cu. Just upgraded my wifi game with a Ruckus R650 access point. I have all my music on a NAS aswell, and use BlueOS and Roon on my speaker and headphone systems at home. Struggling with the R8 vs M8, vs DX300 as a possible 'substitute for the 2000. (I may just be insane!)

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2,454 of 3,161
Hey Buddy! Got a license for all them acronyms? lol I have been playing with Roon on my 2000cu. Just upgraded my wifi game with a Ruckus R650 access point. I have all my music on a NAS aswell, and use BlueOS and Roon on my speaker and headphone systems at home. Struggling with the R8 vs M8, vs DX300 as a possible 'substitute for the 2000. (I may just be insane!)
If you're using Roon, and assuming the Sp2K supports hi-res playback from Roon (the regular Android app doesn't) then there's probably no reason for you to switch.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #2,455 of 3,161
If you're using Roon, and assuming the Sp2K supports hi-res playback from Roon (the regular Android app doesn't) then there's probably no reason for you to switch.
For me it's going to be a combination of sonics, speed, and if possible, full Android functionality. The thought was to trade-off a small bit of sonic performance to gain a lot of speed and functionality. I'd keep the PAW6000 and P6Pro for the lean, mean audiophile portables. Roon is not a deal-breaker, if DLNA via UAPP works well - have not tried it.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,456 of 3,161
The thought was to trade-off a small bit of sonic performance to gain a lot of speed and functionality.
This is also how I see the R8 (even if I don't have it quite yet 😉) vs the sp2000. I'd sure like the R8 to be a Roon endpoint though..

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #2,457 of 3,161
I received the R8 today, installed a few updates and started listening to it... The first thing I noticed was the hiss... I guess I should have read this thread... Yes, it's much more significant with the balanced socket, but all my good cables are balanced... Yes, it varies but I hear it on all my IEMs. And I hear it most on the ones I will be using most: Fourte and Noir. This is a dealbreaker for me. I'm very sad about this, because it looks like a great device, sounds great otherwise, and I do not know of a good alternative. I don't want to go back to AK, really disliked the user interface. Shanling M8: platform too old... Really disappointed at the moment....

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,458 of 3,161
I received the R8 today, installed a few updates and started listening to it... The first thing I noticed was the hiss... I guess I should have read this thread... Yes, it's much more significant with the balanced socket, but all my good cables are balanced... Yes, it varies but I hear it on all my IEMs. And I hear it most on the ones I will be using most: Fourte and Noir. This is a dealbreaker for me. I'm very sad about this, because it looks like a great device, sounds great otherwise, and I do not know of a good alternative. I don't want to go back to AK, really disliked the user interface. Shanling M8: platform too old... Really disappointed at the moment....

Go to audio setting and turn the turbo mode off, and switch to low gain. Your iems don't need extra power. Single ended output would have been even better for you since it has a fraction of the power relative to balanced, but your iems cables are balanced already. At least with turbo off and low gain the hissing should be attenuated down.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #2,459 of 3,161
Interesting - I hear zero hiss with the Noir

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #2,460 of 3,161
Thanks for the suggestion. Turbo mode was off and it was in low gain.

My hearing is quite good for my age. I'm approaching 50 but can still hear 16k hz. That's the only explanation I can think of, why I hear it and others don't. Or unit variation, but that is less likely I think.

In quiet parts of song it is very present. I know it will annoy me. So my adventure with the R8 ends here, after two hours... Big bummer.. It will be up in the classifieds soon.

EDIT: the listing is up now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back