HiBy R8 User Impressions
Oct 2, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #1,321 of 3,161
I realise that ‘best‘ or ‘better’ may be subjective, but In general terms am I right that you thought that the overall sound of the SP2000 was better than the R8? And Also that you thought the R8’s sound was better than N6ii ?

I am really weary of best / better as DAPs do have different signatures (plus N6ii is several DAPs in one with all the cards now)... but I really need to audition the SP2000 anyway and I'd be interested in a comparison.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #1,322 of 3,161
I realise that ‘best‘ or ‘better’ may be subjective, but In general terms am I right that you thought that the overall sound of the SP2000 was better than the R8? And Also that you thought the R8’s sound was better than N6ii ?

Yes to both questions, and of course it’s a bit subjective too

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #1,324 of 3,161
That’s what I’d probably called a “must have” experience

Well so far SP1000 didn't do it for me, a bit better with the amp... curious to check out the gap...

Oct 2, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,325 of 3,161
With regard to streaming, can you download music from Tidal or Qobuz direct to the R8‘s internal memory so that you can listen offline?

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,326 of 3,161
Yes those are the ones. Ok then, thanks for the info. In other DAPs such as N6ii, those filters have noticeable effect and it can really improve the sound.

For me on N6ii E02 it’s quite noticeable and it really helps fine tuning each IEM.
Did you try systemwide MSEB for that which is much more well suited for this purpose.

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #1,327 of 3,161
With regard to streaming, can you download music from Tidal or Qobuz direct to the R8‘s internal memory so that you can listen offline?
Using the official apps, the answer should be yes on both counts, and to the external SD card as well as internal would work.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #1,328 of 3,161
Using the official apps, the answer should be yes on both counts, and to the external SD card as well as internal would work.
Thanks, that’s good to know. It ticks another box 👍

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,330 of 3,161
The R8 has no shortage

Did you try systemwide MSEB for that which is much more well suited for this purpose.

Yes I did and it does wonder as well :thumbsup:

It’s still early, but I think R8 has one of the most refined tunings I’ve ever heard. Now I wonder if someone is brave enough to mod the caps :smiley:

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,331 of 3,161
I will be happy to do a comparison on the R8 vs. SP2K once I arrive home on Monday. Again, these are TOTL DAPs by the respective companies, each will have their nuances. Both devices will deliver the goods, but it is the same as A/Bing any gear, I can only explain what I hear as differences. What I can't do is tell you whether you will derive $1600 more pleasure or whether the SP2K is worth the additional $. I also can't say which signature will check your personal boxes.

I have 7 or 8 DAPs and have heard countless others, so when I bought another DAP, I jumped to what I felt was going to be the best I could buy, thus the SP2K. The R8 was purchased to be a back up for the SP2K, but I haven't had both at the same time, because of travel etc.. I am excited to compare them.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #1,332 of 3,161
It’s still early, but I think R8 has one of the most refined tunings I’ve ever heard. Now I wonder if someone is brave enough to mod the caps :smiley:

Wait a bit... I am hearing further improvement from burn-in and I am only at 80 hours, after a really big improvement on stage and bass, I am hearing more refinement in the highs... Not sure modding is necessary really, 4 ELNA SILMIC capacitors, 10 tantalum capacitors and a whopping 35 Panasonic Hi-Polymer POSCAPs. Wonder if it's not more than you find in WM1Z... those components benefit greatly from burn in. Honestly, After going through 250 hours burn in with DX220 Max, I feel the R8 is evolving during burn in just as much if not more.... reminds me of Sony that way.

This is pretty much high end already but there might be modders who knows... enjoy what you have right now as you say it's a refined tuning and one that will get better as things go along.

I will be happy to do a comparison on the R8 vs. SP2K once I arrive home on Monday. Again, these are TOTL DAPs by the respective companies, each will have their nuances. Both devices will deliver the goods, but it is the same as A/Bing any gear, I can only explain what I hear as differences. What I can't do is tell you whether you will derive $1600 more pleasure or whether the SP2K is worth the additional $. I also can't say which signature will check your personal boxes. I have 7 or 8 DAPs and have heard countless others, so when I bought another DAP, I jumped to what I felt was going to be the best I could buy, thus the SP2K. The R8 was purchased to be a back up for the SP2K, but I haven't had both at the same time, because of travel etc.. I am excited to compare them.

Wise totally agree with you there. Eager to read this :)

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,333 of 3,161
Wait a bit... I am hearing further improvement from burn-in and I am only at 80 hours, after a really big improvement on stage and bass, I am hearing more refinement in the highs... Not sure modding is necessary really, 4 ELNA SILMIC capacitors, 10 tantalum capacitors and a whopping 35 Panasonic Hi-Polymer POSCAPs. Wonder if it's not more than you find in WM1Z... those components benefit greatly from burn in. Honestly, After going through 250 hours burn in with DX220 Max, I feel the R8 is evolving during burn in just as much if not more.... reminds me of Sony that way.

This is pretty much high end already but there might be modders who knows... enjoy what you have right now as you say it's a refined tuning and one that will get better as things go along.

Yeah I never modded my DAPs, it’s just that sometimes there are brave souls out there who will try to take it even further :relaxed: Players like 1Z gets better and better after you clock in more hours of play plus the modded FW really elevates the sound without having to modified the hardware. I feel that the R8 will do just that, improves more and more as you burn in those caps.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,334 of 3,161
Can Amazon Music HD on the R8 do this yet?

6F824E69-4E55-46E3-AB90-7285C2EEEA60.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,335 of 3,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back