HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jan 5, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #2,056 of 3,161
I had the Ti for two months.

O o owww 2 months only it didn't pass the test 😜😛🙃
I heard P6 pro is something different.
I heard the Lp Ti at canjam last year wasnt so impressed honestly. Or simply not my tuning type

Jan 5, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #2,057 of 3,161
The R8 dont have emphasis on any anything it is very leanear in a sense where all the frequencies are straight and on same line.

Isn't that exactly what you want from a source? Absolute transparency and a linear FR response that allows the qualities of the IEM to shine through? For me the R8 is linear without being thin or neutral, so it adds just enough weight to the notes to give a musical tilt, unlike the LPGT which is dead neutral or the R2R2000 which is brighter and more analytical. Personally I like to flavour the music with my IEMs and let the source deliver the music as recorded. Otherwise a warmer source with warmer IEMs can be too much of a good thing, unless you really like your sound thick and warm.

I also favor alot M8 over R8 because of Hiss and software options that allows me to play all songs from same artists or albums. Even when I shuffle my music and that is something I do alot I can select a song in M8 and go to the artist or the album of this song and

I take it you don't use UAPP? Because you can do all of that and much more with UAPP and it sounds better than most native music players. Play by album, play by artists, play by album artist (very important!), play all albums of artist, shuffle tracks from one artist. It's all there.

I am investigating the Luxury & Precision P6 Pro ! Then we will see

Looks like a superb DAP. I'm a huge fan of R2R (except the R2R2000 which doesn't sound like R2R at all). Keep in mind the LP6 has no Android and no streaming whatsoever. So you'll have to use your phone via Bluetooth for streaming, like the LPGT. And the price is bonkers for a DAP, but that's just me.

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:14 AM Post #2,058 of 3,161
For those who might be interested, my R8 is up for grabs at a good price, link and price in my sig :wink:

Jan 5, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #2,059 of 3,161
Jan 5, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,060 of 3,161
Looks like you prefer the M8?

Don't know yet it's on its way to me... M8 is more organic yet and warmer and thicker with more powerful bass, which is my thing... and I am getting DX300 so my new setup is a ref DAP with DX300 and something more like 1Z (and M8 even better by all accounts) to go with it. Honestly if I hadn't gotten a better paid job I would have stuck to R8 as it's best of both world right in the middle the all in one musical, organic yet not too far off reference package. I love it, but I can't justify keeping all of them financially and it's more interesting for my reviews to have two DAPs to include in the review process. Synergy will be better on one end or the other depending on the case.

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #2,061 of 3,161
Don't know yet it's on its way to me... M8 is more organic yet and warmer and thicker with more powerful bass, which is my thing... and I am getting DX300 so my new setup is a ref DAP with DX300 and something more like 1Z (and M8 even better by all accounts) to go with it. Honestly if I hadn't gotten a better paid job I would have stuck to R8 as it's best of both world right in the middle the all in one musical, organic yet not too far off reference package. I love it, but I can't justify keeping all of them financially and it's more interesting for my reviews to have two DAPs to include in the review process. Synergy will be better on one end or the other depending on the case.
Makes sense but I still think you're crazy letting go the R8 :p

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,062 of 3,161
Makes sense but I still think you're crazy letting go the R8 :p

I know it's a fabulous DAP... just like LPGT but I can keep them all!

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #2,064 of 3,161
Jan 5, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,065 of 3,161
I don’t understand this game at all :astonished:

I‘ll talk about the elephant in the room. What makes DAPs really different? Looks (Hardware & UI), Software (Stock music player, Android version or no Android at all, supported 3rd party software), Streaming capability, Size, Weight, Buttons, Volume Knobs, Output Power/Impedance, Connection options Output/Input, Hiss with sensitive IEMs, display quality/resolution and maybe more like stuff like these.

But how they sound? I mean if they have too much coloration to the sound, they are broken by design. They should just transform the music from digital to analogue and than amplify the signal. That’s it. And even if there is a faint difference - why not just fire up MSEB / EQ whatever and put everything perfectly to your liking?? Really, I don’t get it :)

From my points mentioned above I think the R8 ticks most boxes. Only drawbacks in my opinion: Light Hiss with Andros, Weight, Looks (R8/M8 etc are ok’ish but for me Astell & Kern takes the cake here by a mile and more, Sony also nicer looking).

Other than that the R8 wins as a package over all DAPs I‘ve checked before purchase for me personally and it lets you color the sound like YOU want in a especially beautiful and easy way. Of course you could also equalize your sound by buying different DAPs with different sound signatures if you are Bill Gates or Tim Cook but I think they both have of course the money but not the time and probably don‘t like using Android devices :smiley:

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,066 of 3,161
Ah Padawan, you have so much to learn... This is the Game of DAPs, which makes Game of Thrones seem like a gentle stroll in the park by comparison. And this thread is still relatively calm, you should hang out with the iBasso boys sometimes if you want some real craziness!

PS. FWIW I completely agree with you. The DAP/source is primarily there as a conduit to your music, and should therefore be as uncoloured and transparent as possible. That doesn't have to mean unexciting. That said, if you are going to colour the sound, just know what the implications might be for the IEMs you use with it. There's no right or wrong in this game, just varying degrees of crazy.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,067 of 3,161
Ah Padawan, you have so much to learn... This is the Game of DAPs, which makes Game of Thrones seem like a gentle stroll in the park by comparison. And this thread is still relatively calm, you should hang out with the iBasso boys sometimes if you want some real craziness!

Haha, I get it :dt880smile:

Thanks for your suggestion, but no thanks :beerchug:

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #2,068 of 3,161

I‘ll talk about the elephant in the room. What makes DAPs really different? Looks (Hardware & UI), Software (Stock music player, Android version or no Android at all, supported 3rd party software), Streaming capability, Size, Weight, Buttons, Volume Knobs, Output Power/Impedance, Connection options Output/Input, Hiss with sensitive IEMs, display quality/resolution and maybe more like stuff like these.

But how they sound? I mean if they have too much coloration to the sound, they are broken by design. They should just transform the music from digital to analogue and than amplify the signal. That’s it. And even if there is a faint difference - why not just fire up MSEB / EQ whatever and put everything perfectly to your liking?? Really, I don’t get it :)

From my points mentioned above I think the R8 ticks most boxes. Only drawbacks in my opinion: Light Hiss with Andros, Weight, Looks (R8/M8 etc are ok’ish but for me Astell & Kern takes the cake here by a mile and more, Sony also nicer looking).

Other than that the R8 wins as a package over all DAPs I‘ve checked before purchase for me personally and it lets you color the sound like YOU want in a especially beautiful and easy way. Of course you could also equalize your sound by buying different DAPs with different sound signatures if you are Bill Gates or Tim Cook but I think they both have of course the money but not the time and probably don‘t like using Android devices :smiley:
Your points are totally valid. Specially on DAP world that they can have a really short life span (full android specially), so the development cost x sales are a big deal for the companies. Circuitry design and components have a lot to do to keep a certain price point. That's also one of the reasons we have different sounding DAPs (outside of shape, screen, software...).

I think Hiby did a great job with R8 on features vs. Cost. I can't comment on the sound yet.

I do prefer clean DAPs and let my IEMs and cables do the fine tuning to my tastes.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #2,069 of 3,161
Your points are totally valid. Specially on DAP world that they can have a really short life span (full android specially), so the development cost x sales are a big deal for the companies. Circuitry design and components have a lot to do to keep a certain price point. That's also one of the reasons we have different sounding DAPs (outside of shape, screen, software...).

I think Hiby did a great job with R8 on features vs. Cost. I can't comment on the sound yet.

I do prefer clean DAPs and let my IEMs and cables do the fine tuning to my tastes.
I think we're at a point now where Andoid DAPs have reached a point of maturity and can compete directly with non-Android/mixed Android flagship DAPs for SQ. HiBy (and soon iBasso with the DX300) have also ramped up the underlying processing power and battery tech to the point where the package as a whole can comfortably deliver a combination of speed, stamina and sound to stay relevant for good few years, even beyond the next inevitable refresh cycle (I think Shanling missed a trick here with its dated SoC and Android 7 OS in the M8, and so the M8 is at risk of becoming redundant fairly quickly from a hardware perspective).

The R8 can do everything my smartphone can, and faster (because of its optimised OS), and since I have no plans on updating my phone for at least a few more years, I can see the R8 doing duty for at least that long. Of course DAC and amp tech is rapidly evolving, especially in the portable market, but since I consider the R8 on par with the LPGT sound-wise (and a few levels up in features), I'm quite happy that we're now at a point where powerful, reference-grade flagship Android DAPs have come of age.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #2,070 of 3,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back