HiBy R8 User Impressions
Jun 28, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #286 of 3,161
It's fair to say we should probably all calm down and wait for the units to start shipping to the US and Europe to get a proper feel for how they perform from actual reviewers and experienced users. Until then it's all conjecture anyway. Hopefully we'll see some decent coverage from the usual suspects and put all these pointless assumptions to bed.

@Joe Bloggs, any idea when we can expect to see the R8 available in the west?

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #287 of 3,161
It's fair to say we should probably all calm down and wait for the units to start shipping to the US and Europe to get a proper feel for how they perform from actual reviewers and experienced users. Until then it's all conjecture anyway. Hopefully we'll see some decent coverage from the usual suspects and put all these pointless assumptions to bed.

@Joe Bloggs, any idea when we can expect to see the R8 available in the west?

Because we can believe every word a reviewer says :D

I gave up reading and started listening, it's the best way to do it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #288 of 3,161
Because we can believe every word a reviewer says :D

I gave up reading and started listening, it's the best way to do it.
All good and well if you're either rich or well placed to test the latest gear from local agents. I'd wager the vast majority of users on this forum don't have those privileges so we rely on a handful of trusted reviewers and experienced listeners.

It would also help if the R8 didn't take so long to get to market so we could start getting some feedback. Seems like all the fizz from the launch has subsided, judging by the lack of activity on this thread.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #289 of 3,161
All good and well if you're either rich or well placed to test the latest gear from local agents. I'd wager the vast majority of users on this forum don't have those privileges so we rely on a handful of trusted reviewers and experienced listeners.

It would also help if the R8 didn't take so long to get to market so we could start getting some feedback. Seems like all the fizz from the launch has subsided, judging by the lack of activity on this thread.

Which is what I used to do until I knew better. There is highly rated junk and completey underated gems. Just reading reviews you end up buying something you don't like and have to sell it anyway. You may as well have bought the other one you wanted in the first place :D

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #291 of 3,161
Joe Bloggs, Has HiBy settled on a USA price for the R8? If so what is it?
When do you think the R8 will be released in the USA?
This is real basic info that every one checking on the R8 would like to have.
I think we here are settled on the fact that it will be a heavy brick like Ibasso MAX. Is that a fact?

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #292 of 3,161
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #293 of 3,161
Which is what I used to do until I knew better. There is highly rated junk and completey underated gems. Just reading reviews you end up buying something you don't like and have to sell it anyway. You may as well have bought the other one you wanted in the first place :D
A. You’re not wrong
B. It has nothing to do with ‘knowing better’ — it’s about access
C. Yep, that’s what I get stuck doing (quickly sold NightOwl, Denafrips Ares, HD-800S, HE-6se, Yggdrasil)
D. But how can I know which one I ‘...wanted in the first place’?

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #294 of 3,161
What about the programming interface? Is it open / available for anyone that would want to develop plugins?
That should be possible to arrange. Pm me for details?
Cheers,
Joe

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #295 of 3,161
@Nayparm any info on the battery life so far?

Jun 29, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #296 of 3,161
A. You’re not wrong
B. It has nothing to do with ‘knowing better’ — it’s about access
C. Yep, that’s what I get stuck doing (quickly sold NightOwl, Denafrips Ares, HD-800S, HE-6se, Yggdrasil)
D. But how can I know which one I ‘...wanted in the first place’?
How odd. I am listening and right now to HD800s through denafrips terminator and find it hard to think of anything better! Amp is cheap Xduoo TA-20 with RCA tubes.

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:02 AM Post #297 of 3,161
Joe Bloggs, Has HiBy settled on a USA price for the R8? If so what is it?
When do you think the R8 will be released in the USA?
This is real basic info that every one checking on the R8 would like to have.
I think we here are settled on the fact that it will be a heavy brick like Ibasso MAX. Is that a fact?

Its very similar in size to the M15 with a bigger screen as its not as curved at the sides. Both much smaller than the MAX.

IMG_20200629_085416.jpgIMG_20200629_085440.jpgIMG_20200629_085515.jpg

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #298 of 3,161
Its very similar in size to the M15 with a bigger screen as its not as curved at the sides. Both much smaller than the MAX.

IMG_20200629_085416.jpgIMG_20200629_085440.jpgIMG_20200629_085515.jpg
That's not too bad actually. I imagined it to be much larger. Can you give us your own impressions about how it compares to the M15, without making any "better or worse" statements. Just objective comments about tonality, FR, etc.?

Jun 29, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #300 of 3,161
Unfortunately the announcement on Hiby web store seems to fall a bit short concerning the available power with 1W.

"Over 1000mW in power drives all over-ear large-scale headphones with ease "

Even if it's measured at 32 Ohms, it won't be sufficient for 87db headphones like Hedd, regarding many DSD files which needs more than 1W to be comfortable.

I am afraid an external amp will still be necessary like with my H6Pro, which falls down short too often with the max power at 750mw at 32 Ohms and sound stays too often far compared to the 2V line out H6Pro connected to a Monolyth THX 887...
For sure, we have to wait to know the available peak voltage, it can be another story if peak voltage can reach 16V or more when necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back