Hiby R6 Pro - serious upgrade to popular DAP
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #2,776 of 4,006
I'm not comparing it to the se out
I use the balanced out simply because of the cable I got. But I guess I expected it to sound on par with the dx220 or the wm1a, I enjoy its vast eq manipulation you can do it, I like it's form factor
But as far as sound... It doesn't sound all that impressive, maybe I expected too much.
I wonder if I should return and get the wm1a... But I do like the look and feel of the device, the good Android jt has and everything else,
Using the u18t with it and am not that impressed
What are you looking for in the sound that isn't impressing you? Bass, mids, treble, resolution, soundstage? In my experience most of that is a factor of the IEMs, not the dap, but the dap does influence the sound of course, especially with a transparent and bright-neutral IEM like the U18t (I use mine with the U12t). I enjoy the extra punch and low end weight of the R6 Pro compared to the M11 for example. And I haven't yet seen a higher end dap that has full Andoid for UAPP (my player of choice) and streaming services. If it's pure SQ you're after, I'm sure you can get better than the R6 Pro, but you'll be spending at least double to get it, and will have to let go of some usability features in the process.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #2,777 of 4,006
I'm not comparing it to the se out
I use the balanced out simply because of the cable I got. But I guess I expected it to sound on par with the dx220 or the wm1a, I enjoy its vast eq manipulation you can do it, I like it's form factor
But as far as sound... It doesn't sound all that impressive, maybe I expected too much.
I wonder if I should return and get the wm1a... But I do like the look and feel of the device, the good Android jt has and everything else,
Using the u18t with it and am not that impressed

it’s easy to get caught up in the specs, quantifiable data and, worst of all, hype about high fi equipment. You do all your research and find the TOTL everything and guess what. It’s still the same music. This is why I like to have a few different devices and compare them. With U18t’s they’re amazing but if you have nothing to compare them against then how are they great?
With that in mind why not try this. A B test the R6pro against your phone. In this way you can see what value your R6pro provides you. If you don’t think it’s worth it then look for something else. I recommend trying before buying, but if you can’t then you’re going to burn through some $$.
FWIW, I enjoy my u12t’s with the R6pro and for my tastes they make a nice pair. Hope that helps you.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:14 AM Post #2,778 of 4,006
It's a good device, I love it being snappy and full android and offline streaming apps.
, just the sound seems to be missing a little of everything from resolution to details from midbass impact to thicker upper mids.
Irs not sibilant which is neat, it has a lot of eq possibilities outsidd the just *eq* function.

Buf I guess I wanted more resolution (u18t is amazing in this aspect, so it's not the iem)
And midbass impact (note... Not bass rumble or quantity)

I've listened to other daps, dacă, amps with the u18, yes the price were higher than the r6 pro,, but also far better.

I don't have the cash for a high end player, it's why I'm lurking in the midfi section I can spend between 700 to 900.
Maybe the wm1a is better? I'd hate to let go of this awesome feature packed r6 pro... But I am after some sq.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:28 AM Post #2,779 of 4,006
It's a good device, I love it being snappy and full android and offline streaming apps.
, just the sound seems to be missing a little of everything from resolution to details from midbass impact to thicker upper mids.
Irs not sibilant which is neat, it has a lot of eq possibilities outsidd the just *eq* function.

Buf I guess I wanted more resolution (u18t is amazing in this aspect, so it's not the iem)
And midbass impact (note... Not bass rumble or quantity)

I've listened to other daps, dacă, amps with the u18, yes the price were higher than the r6 pro,, but also far better.

I don't have the cash for a high end player, it's why I'm lurking in the midfi section I can spend between 700 to 900.
Maybe the wm1a is better? I'd hate to let go of this awesome feature packed r6 pro... But I am after some sq.
What have you tried that's more resolving? From what I've read, the DX220 (with some amps) may have a touch more microdetail, but at the cost of warmth/weight (watch the Porta-Fi review between the two, for example). The WM1A will have significantly less power, which isn't necessarily a downside if you're only driving U18t, but won't have any of the Android features you seem to want. Other than that I haven't heard the WM1A so you'll need to ask someone who has about SQ there.

As for midbass impact, I'm not sure you're going to get a dap that gives you more midbass impact plus more resolution; the one often comes at the cost of the other. But I could be wrong, of course. The U18t is not exactly renown for its midbass impact though; have you tried switching IEMs to something with a dynamic driver or hybrid?

Not sure you'll find what you're after in the midprice segment to be honest, and even if you do, I'd wager the difference between that and the R6 Pro will be small enough to be insignificant. As always, YMMV.

Dec 24, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #2,780 of 4,006
Awesome discussion. Regarding a “trans” portable solution the only one that I have experience with that would give you greater resolution and separation is the Chord Hugo 2. Even the Chord Mojo, to my my ears, sounds similar enough to the R6 pro that stacking them just isn’t worth it.
I have avoided the WM1A because of the lack of streaming and proprietary charging and data connection, but if you’re set on it. The only way to resolve it is to find a way to give it a listen. Good luck to ya.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #2,781 of 4,006
Awesome discussion. Regarding a “trans” portable solution the only one that I have experience with that would give you greater resolution and separation is the Chord Hugo 2. Even the Chord Mojo, to my my ears, sounds similar enough to the R6 pro that stacking them just isn’t worth it.
I have avoided the WM1A because of the lack of streaming and proprietary charging and data connection, but if you’re set on it. The only way to resolve it is to find a way to give it a listen. Good luck to ya.

Agreed on the Mojo. I owned them at the same time and sold the Mojo. R6Pro sounded cleaner and more spacious to me.

Dec 26, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #2,783 of 4,006
Dec 26, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #2,785 of 4,006
Dec 26, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #2,786 of 4,006
Rf noise on wifi
I have had RF noise from Wifi using 4.4mm Meze cable with Rai Pentas. I switched to 3.5mm single-ended and haven't heard any RFI or EMI with the exception of putting my phone flush with the R6 Pro. I have also tried a different 4.4mm cable (with different IEMs) and haven't heard any RFI from WiFi. Unfortunately, one cable is MMCX and the other is 2-pin, so I can't tell you if it was the cable or if it was the sensitivity of the IEMs that caused the RF noise. Based on how loud the clicking is, I'm leaning more toward the cable being the culprit. I purchased my R6 Pro in March '19.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 3:56 AM Post #2,787 of 4,006
To anyone that's used / using the R6 / Pro with the HD800's and have used Sonar Works in the past, have you experimented with MSEB to simulate the effect of the Sonar Works HD800 profile? That is:

- add a little meat to low and mid-bass
- tame the highs a little
- reduce / eliminate the 6kHz ringing

If so, do you mind sharing your MSEB configs?

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #2,789 of 4,006
In my experience it's a non-issue unless you insist on strapping your phone to the dap while using WiFi. In which case, just don't.
I think it might be prudent to consider the context in which the DAP will be used. Where I am, Hong Kong, it is a great place to stress test these devices when it comes to RFI and EMI. When I’m at home I can see ~20 different SSIDs from my sofa and those are only the ones that broadcast their SSIDs. There are places here that have more people than square feet and if they emptied the buildings, they wouldn’t all fit on the street. And they all. Have. Phones. Perhaps l, RFI isn’t an issue where you live, but I’m lucky I’m not glowing in the dark yet.
But with my R6 Pro there have been RFI issues. Whether this is due to QC or my environment, I have no idea. But you’re absolutely right phones and DACs don’t normally play nice with each other. This realisation has given me a deep appreciation for how that damn lightning dongle just works.

Dec 27, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,790 of 4,006
I think it might be prudent to consider the context in which the DAP will be used. Where I am, Hong Kong, it is a great place to stress test these devices when it comes to RFI and EMI. When I’m at home I can see ~20 different SSIDs from my sofa and those are only the ones that broadcast their SSIDs. There are places here that have more people than square feet and if they emptied the buildings, they wouldn’t all fit on the street. And they all. Have. Phones. Perhaps l, RFI isn’t an issue where you live, but I’m lucky I’m not glowing in the dark yet.
But with my R6 Pro there have been RFI issues. Whether this is due to QC or my environment, I have no idea. But you’re absolutely right phones and DACs don’t normally play nice with each other. This realisation has given me a deep appreciation for how that damn lightning dongle just works.
Haha, yes, I have no-one around me at most times of day, and the only SSIDs I can see are my own. And yes, that dongle is so simple in its functionality - though you wouldn't need it if Apple just kept the damn headphone jack. Which is why I no longer use an iPhone. But I digress... I've heard the R6P RFI myself, and immediately know that my phone is too close. Otherwise, nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back