HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Apr 8, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #496 of 1,511
I've tried five different micro sd cards in the R6iii now, including an Extreme Pro SanDisk which came out top for read speed in a big goup test I watched on YouTube. I think the maximum read speed the R6iii can achieve is about 82mbps. I've been using an app called SD Card Test to compare the cards. On three of the cards I have restored my Tidal downloads, and I have the same problem I reported a few days ago (sometimes it takes 6 minutes or more for Tidal and Qobuz to play downloads).

I installed the same app on my phone and tested some of the cards, write speeds were significantly better but read speeds were about the same. I have more Tidal downloads on the phone than on the DAP, but the phone never takes such long times to start playing.

It seems that the R6iii is the cause of my problem not the sd card.

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #497 of 1,511
I've tried five different micro sd cards in the R6iii now, including an Extreme Pro SanDisk which came out top for read speed in a big goup test I watched on YouTube. I think the maximum read speed the R6iii can achieve is about 82mbps. I've been using an app called SD Card Test to compare the cards. On three of the cards I have restored my Tidal downloads, and I have the same problem I reported a few days ago (sometimes it takes 6 minutes or more for Tidal and Qobuz to play downloads).

I installed the same app on my phone and tested some of the cards, write speeds were significantly better but read speeds were about the same. I have more Tidal downloads on the phone than on the DAP, but the phone never takes such long times to start playing.

Yeah, I'd be interested in others experience on this as well. As I had responded previously I have this very same problem with my original R6 Pro. This is a relatively recent thing also, basically makes the R6 Pro useless with Tidal. HiBy has not updated the firmware in forever, so it is not that for me. If both R6 III and R6 Pro are having this problem I wonder if it is due to a change in Tidal?

Apr 8, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #498 of 1,511
Yeah, I'd be interested in others experience on this as well. As I had responded previously I have this very same problem with my original R6 Pro. This is a relatively recent thing also, basically makes the R6 Pro useless with Tidal. HiBy has not updated the firmware in forever, so it is not that for me. If both R6 III and R6 Pro are having this problem I wonder if it is due to a change in Tidal?
I doubt that it is down to Tidal because Qobuz is the same, and I have had it happen with SoundCloud once (I don't use SoundCloud nearly as much).

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #500 of 1,511

Did you reach Hiby regarding this? I'm using a SanDisk V30 A2 card and have no issue with local offline contents. I'm not using Tidal to play offline though because it only sort by albums. My local contents copied to the Hiby are downloaded from Tidal by Tidal downloader gui

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #501 of 1,511
[...]
I don't remember,but do you have the same problem with the local storage?
I had several problems in the past with streaming applications + SD card storage (with Fiio Dap for example) , so now I never use the external memory for the cache of this kind of applications.

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #502 of 1,511
I don't use local files, and I don't have any to test. Until a few years ago, I was only using CDs and LPs.

Previously I was using an iPod Touch combined with either an iFi xDSD or Hidizs DH80S DAC amp. I had no trouble using streaming apps for offline downloads, but that doesn't use an SD card. When I only want to carry one device, I use my phone for Tidal and SoundCloud, but not Qobuz, with portable SD card as the download destination, it never takes more than a few seconds to access the content.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #503 of 1,511
Understood.
And actually - with your R6 III - did you try to download some of your selection of songs into the internal memory of this DAP ? (for testing, just to see if the problem is king of global or not)

Apr 10, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #504 of 1,511
Hi, I'm a newbie here and finding it intriguing and bewildering. I've been looking at this Dap for a little while now and following this thread. I myself have never had one of these new gen Dap's and this at £500 would be a big financial investment for me. As I'm learning this is only a Mid-priced Dap. Is it normal for a Dap to have so many bugs/issues? i would have expected that a music player should work perfectly at the time of release and all these problems eliminated in development & testing prior to launch. (Radio, tape, cd, dats, & earlier Mp3 players all worked perfect when purchased back in the day). I'm dying to hear the quality that I'm reading about but these niggles just make me hesitant on pulling the trigger and buying. Thnx.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #505 of 1,511
Sorry for the rather generic/noob question, but does anyone know how to rip various artist albums but stop all the artists appearing on the artist selection section?

Was just wondering if you can do something in-player.

As I assumed but in hoped this wouldn't be the case tagging in a PITA and different players, DAP or desktop players do this in various levels of infuriation.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #506 of 1,511
Hi, I'm a newbie here and finding it intriguing and bewildering. I've been looking at this Dap for a little while now and following this thread. I myself have never had one of these new gen Dap's and this at £500 would be a big financial investment for me. As I'm learning this is only a Mid-priced Dap. Is it normal for a Dap to have so many bugs/issues? i would have expected that a music player should work perfectly at the time of release and all these problems eliminated in development & testing prior to launch. (Radio, tape, cd, dats, & earlier Mp3 players all worked perfect when purchased back in the day). I'm dying to hear the quality that I'm reading about but these niggles just make me hesitant on pulling the trigger and buying. Thnx.
I can help you out with this, because I’m exactly the same. I’ve come from listening to music on an iPhone and a ten year old Fiio X5, and it’s also my first Android experience.

The Hiby at its heart is an extremely competent music player. The audio quality from FLAC files and WAV files is extremely impressive.

But I’m not enjoying the Android experience at all. I have to remind myself that this isn’t a smart phone, it’s a music player and it’s about the superior sound quality. As with all hardware, I will learn to use it, but I’m finding navigating around straightforward operations to be rather tedious.

I posted just the other day that the Hiby time and date was constantly resetting every time I switched off the machine. Thanks to a reply on this thread, the v1.11 firmware fixed that. How did such a fundamental error like this actually make it to the point of retail?

I guess we have come to expect that manufacturers have no option, but to get their products out or they lose traction.
Conversely, I recently updated my historic X5 to v2.7 (from 2017) from v2.6 and it completely screwed importing FLAC files, with skipping and jittering. I rolled it back and it was fixed. So it also shows that even when a product has got that far, firmware can still cause issues.

I guess all we can do with these software based products is report issues as they happen and expect some action from the manufacturer.

Many companies in my industry, cameras, often just dangle exciting new upgrade features, with the fundamentals still requiring work a year later, as a distraction tactic and to keep hold of its customers with ‘caring’ development strategy.

I think if you remind yourself that it’s about enjoying the music, the player will already do what you need it to do, then you’ll be headed down the right road.

I really enjoy the R6 III sound, I don’t mind using the Hiby audio player app for now. I will learn the rest as I find my way through Android world, I’ll probably find I won’t care about much more.

One thing this Hiby experience has confirmed, is that I will never own an Android smart phone if the experience is like this! For me, although I know this is debatable, the iPhone is so unbelievably slick and intuitive everyday environment.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #507 of 1,511
Rarely happens. Computer gaming, TVs, and anything nowadays never gets released bug-free.

Certain Sony NW-A306s got released with what you could call the wrong sound signature with a big drop in bass db levels which Sony fixed in an FW update.

It happens all the time, no matter the cost, an A&K at £3000 will have issues. What matters is if a company listens and fixes them. An Android update could screw with the player's OS if it wasn't picked up by the manufacturer. All sorts can happen to an OS that the company doesn't think to check, or a combination of apps people use can affect the player that the manufacturer has no way of testing every combination.

If a bug doesn't affect me like some Tidal or Roon issues I just ignore them.

If the bugs mentioned here don't matter to you now and you don't think they will in the future, I'd say you can be relatively safe to ignore them.For me, the biggest issue is that my player is not picking up the newest FW update, but ATN it's not broken so I dont need a fix.

Apr 10, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #508 of 1,511
I can help you out with this, because I’m exactly the same. I’ve come from listening to music on an iPhone and a ten year old Fiio X5, and it’s also my first Android experience.

The Hiby at its heart is an extremely competent music player. The audio quality from FLAC files and WAV files is extremely impressive.

But I’m not enjoying the Android experience at all. I have to remind myself that this isn’t a smart phone, it’s a music player and it’s about the superior sound quality. As with all hardware, I will learn to use it, but I’m finding navigating around straightforward operations to be rather tedious.

I posted just the other day that the Hiby time and date was constantly resetting every time I switched off the machine. Thanks to a reply on this thread, the v1.11 firmware fixed that. How did such a fundamental error like this actually make it to the point of retail?

I guess we have come to expect that manufacturers have no option, but to get their products out or they lose traction.
Conversely, I recently updated my historic X5 to v2.7 (from 2017) from v2.6 and it completely screwed importing FLAC files, with skipping and jittering. I rolled it back and it was fixed. So it also shows that even when a product has got that far, firmware can still cause issues.

I guess all we can do with these software based products is report issues as they happen and expect some action from the manufacturer.

Many companies in my industry, cameras, often just dangle exciting new upgrade features, with the fundamentals still requiring work a year later, as a distraction tactic and to keep hold of its customers with ‘caring’ development strategy.

I think if you remind yourself that it’s about enjoying the music, the player will already do what you need it to do, then you’ll be headed down the right road.

I really enjoy the R6 III sound, I don’t mind using the Hiby audio player app for now. I will learn the rest as I find my way through Android world, I’ll probably find I won’t care about much more.

One thing this Hiby experience has confirmed, is that I will never own an Android smart phone if the experience is like this! For me, although I know this is debatable, the iPhone is so unbelievably slick and intuitive everyday environment.
My experience with Android phones has been much smoother/ better than with DAPs.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:51 PM Post #510 of 1,511
While some people really, really, want to be early adopters, I think the general advice for most people is to never be an early adopter of a complex product. Wait a few months or more to let others find and report the most significant issues and for the manufacturer to address them.

(While Apple is not perfect, they do have a very unique situation where they control the full stack - from the hardware design, to the OS, to the software, so they can better understand all of the moving parts and thus have a much better handle on the quality. And they charge a premium which allows them more flexibility to invest.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back