HiBy R6 III (Gen 3) Android digital audio player, Dual ES9038Q2M, Class A / AB amplification switch, Snapdragon 665, Open Android 12 OS, DSD512 / PCM768
Apr 14, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #526 of 1,513
I am really tempted to get the TempoTec V6 (with Leathercase and the Serenade X as bundle. From the optic it it very similar to the Hiby R6 Gen 3 (the volume button is on the top). Of course inside is the big difference
- 2 GB RAM
- 16 GB Storage
- 2 AKM 4493 instead es ESS Saber
- Android 8.1.
but has all the features as the hiby (software wise). and also the connections are the same.
As an alternative I would really like to go with the Questyle QP2R, because it is Linux based (I really want to see more linux based system, even that Android is a Linux based Distro, but still Android). The price is steep.
Or I just stick with the hiby R6 Gen3. not sure.
So I did order the TempoTec V6 combo and I will return the Hiby R6 Gen3, because in comparison to the mobile phone - AkLIAM PD4 combo with the Tangzu WAN ER SG2022 and QKZ Q1 MAX cable the DAP does not sound as good by far, plus it is to clunky and heavy.

Apr 15, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #527 of 1,513
Had the r6 iii for about a week now. Loving it although I am experiencing a very strange issue using Poweramp. Bluetooth, speaker outputs working perfectly but wired connection is playing all tracks at what looks like 2 or 3 times the speed. As soon as I unplug headphones from the balanced output on the r6 and switch to Bluetooth tracks play fine again. I've tried hi res, open, etc options but all the same issue for wired connection. I've also tried uninstalling, reinstalling, scanning SD card again etc. Both hiby player and uapp work fine wired and bluetooth but I'm used to power amps UI from my smartphone. Anyone any ideas? Its been reported to the hiby Devs for further investigation
In a case like this, I think the best thing to do is to contact the author of this application, not Hiby as other players work. Hiby won't be able to do much unless the developer of Poweramp contacts them (if necessary)

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #530 of 1,513
Long time loiterer, but first time posting. I created an account just to talk about this DAP!
Firstly, the sound quality is great. Absolutely no complaints when used with Moondrop IEMs, Sennheiser Momentum 4, B&W P7, but…

I’ve had it almost a week and in that time have had the date resetting issue (now fixed), the firmware download problem, no output from the USB, buttons on the screen overlapping other buttons making it difficult to open ‘settings’, the weird volume problems with Bluetooth headphones and worst of all, not reading files on the SD.
Initially, I put ~150Gb on, did the import scan in Hiby and Poweramp apps and it worked. But because you can’t transfer to the SD card over wi-if, only the internal memory, I had to remove the card to add more music. Put it back in, repeat the scan and it found the new stuff, but then won’t play anything from the card, but just stalls at 0:01 (streaming is OK).
I’ve formatted the card in the Hiby, removed it and am currently spending the day waiting for my ageing Mac to transfer 200Gb from an external drive to the SD again. (I did transfer just a few files first and tried again and all was good).

Like other folks in the thread, this is my first ever Android product, making navigation more of a challenge, and meaning that nothing is intuitive for me.
I’m a day away from sending it back I think, unless it sorts itself out. If it craps out again, despite the fantastic sound, I’ll be looking elsewhere…

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #531 of 1,513
Long time loiterer, but first time posting. I created an account just to talk about this DAP!
Firstly, the sound quality is great. Absolutely no complaints when used with Moondrop IEMs, Sennheiser Momentum 4, B&W P7, but…

I’ve had it almost a week and in that time have had the date resetting issue (now fixed), the firmware download problem, no output from the USB, buttons on the screen overlapping other buttons making it difficult to open ‘settings’, the weird volume problems with Bluetooth headphones and worst of all, not reading files on the SD.
Initially, I put ~150Gb on, did the import scan in Hiby and Poweramp apps and it worked. But because you can’t transfer to the SD card over wi-if, only the internal memory, I had to remove the card to add more music. Put it back in, repeat the scan and it found the new stuff, but then won’t play anything from the card, but just stalls at 0:01 (streaming is OK).
I’ve formatted the card in the Hiby, removed it and am currently spending the day waiting for my ageing Mac to transfer 200Gb from an external drive to the SD again. (I did transfer just a few files first and tried again and all was good).

Like other folks in the thread, this is my first ever Android product, making navigation more of a challenge, and meaning that nothing is intuitive for me.
I’m a day away from sending it back I think, unless it sorts itself out. If it craps out again, despite the fantastic sound, I’ll be looking elsewhere…

Welcome to head-fi and sorry for your wallet... :)

And do not give up to fast. As you mention yourself Android itself is a matter of getting used to...

I condemn my iPhone and Apple tablet whenever I am forced to use these (when at the office)... :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #532 of 1,513
Put it back in, repeat the scan and it found the new stuff, but then won’t play anything from the card, but just stalls at 0:01 (streaming is OK).
This happens to me too, it shows the songs after scan but doesn't play them. Just reboot the player and it's good to go.

Apr 16, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #533 of 1,513
For people wanting to connect the R6G3 via SPDIF like to a DAC with external speakers for example, I've made a cable that is compatible with Hiby and Cayin players... Worked on Hiby R6 gen 3 and R3 Saber 2022...

Used an RCA cable and connector I had around, cut one side and soldered a USB-C plug that exposes all pins from AliExpress. A bit of solder and a couple minutes later, there it is :)

20230413_182237.jpg

The thread about the build is at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cay...coax-out-for-150.833932/page-39#post-13377537.

The connector I got is: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mMMZITI

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #534 of 1,513
Had the r6 iii for about a week now. Loving it although I am experiencing a very strange issue using Poweramp. Bluetooth, speaker outputs working perfectly but wired connection is playing all tracks at what looks like 2 or 3 times the speed. As soon as I unplug headphones from the balanced output on the r6 and switch to Bluetooth tracks play fine again. I've tried hi res, open, etc options but all the same issue for wired connection. I've also tried uninstalling, reinstalling, scanning SD card again etc. Both hiby player and uapp work fine wired and bluetooth but I'm used to power amps UI from my smartphone. Anyone any ideas? Its been reported to the hiby Devs for further investigation
Hey. New guy here, but I figured this one out because I had the same issue. Disable Direct Volume Control. Once I did that and restarted Poweramp, I no longer had the time-warping track or silence with plugged in headphones. It plays!

It’s still a little buggy for me but it works.

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #535 of 1,513
Hey. New guy here, but I figured this one out because I had the same issue. Disable Direct Volume Control. Once I did that and restarted Poweramp, I no longer had the time-warping track or silence with plugged in headphones. It plays!

It’s still a little buggy for me but it works.
Welcome to head-fi Raph!

Apr 17, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #536 of 1,513
Does wavelet run on this device?

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #538 of 1,513
Wavelet works, yes.
I haven’t gotten it to work on all apps. The same permissions trick for both wavelet and Poweramp Equalizer yielded no audio on the HiBy player, for example.

Apr 17, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #540 of 1,513
Well, seems possible, but then again, why use two EQs?
I never use 2 at the same time. I tried one and got no audio, then tried the other. I could get either to work with Apple Music, though. These days, I tend to enjoy the stock tunings of earphones anyway. I’d just be interested in how to get them (either) to work for all the players on this device (reiteration: I’ve gotten it to work on the S22).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back