HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Jul 17, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,471 of 1,971
I just got this a few days ago to replace my R5. Two questions. Should I be using balanced out or balanced normal port for my iems. Second, on the R5 I could get good volume at 40 low gain. However, on the New R6 I need to push it up to 60 to get the same volume. So. Should I be using low gain high volume or mid gain and lower volume? I'm using the Moondrop Blessing2
Either works but most players are initially designed as mid gain. It's a quiet player so unless noise floor is noticeable or you need even more gain, I'd default to medium gain. I find on most players that low gain often sounds like it has greater damping and high gain less so it's likely controlled by the amplifier feedback loop. I like mid gain on this player and my earphones but don't find the character of the gain settings as noticeably different as some others I've had.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,472 of 1,971
I think there is a store that sells the Meze's here. Maybe I should give it a try

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #1,476 of 1,971
Hiby R6 2020 is my first DAP, after I got tired of iPhone/DAC and dongles/CCK for portable use. Over the last two days I’ve put in 12 or so hours of listening. Genres include jazz, rock, folk, roots, reggae, some classical, a little EDM. First impressions:
- Using Android File Transfer on my Mac, to load mainly 96/24 and 192/24 FLAC files, was a breeze, if lengthy to transfer 300 Gigs of music. Likewise, the OTA firmware update and Google Play store music app (Onkyo) purchase were straightforward and simple.
-I’ve mainly been using the stock Hiby player. I’m loving operating the player with the buttons and the screen off. Only SE, but I’m looking forward to trying the 4.4 mm balanced output when my 2.5 adapter arrives.
- AKG N5005 IEM: Fantastic soundstage, separation and details. For some reason I’ve never been able to get good bass (ear tip fit?), but the mids and trebles are stellar. Piano in particular takes my breath away. Brass, acoustic stringed instruments and male and female vocals are a pleasure, and electric guitar has great bite and tones. Ive been using MSEB to bring out the bass, and it definitely helps. Very fun listen with all genres.
- Focal Clear: Great bass, warm mids and clear and detailed treble. Good instrument separation, but I found the sound a bit congested. Perhaps because of the Clear’s narrower soundstage. I used the stock eq to dial back the lower and emphasize the upper mids, and that helped a lot. There was a moment when the intro stand-up bass kicked in (Amber Rubarth’s Sneak), at 2:30 and slightly north of my eyebrow, when I forgot I was wearing headphones.

Still a lot of experimenting and comparisons to do - check out Bluetooth, line out to Hugo 2 to the Monotor headphone amp, etc., but so far I am extremely impressed and happy with my purchase.

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,477 of 1,971
... Still a lot of experimenting and comparisons to do - check out Bluetooth, line out to Hugo 2 to the Monotor headphone amp, etc., but so far I am extremely impressed and happy with my purchase.
Bluetooth out to Hugo2 works well, and you can also go coax S/PDIF from R6 to Hugo2 coax in.

But Hugo2 has no analog line in -- so you can't use line-out from R6 into Hugo 2 (perhaps you meant coax).

Jul 22, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,478 of 1,971
Bluetooth out to Hugo2 works well, and you can also go coax S/PDIF from R6 to Hugo2 coax in.

But Hugo2 has no analog line in -- so you can't use line-out from R6 into Hugo 2 (perhaps you meant coax).
Thanks for your reply. I'm interested in trying the Bluetooth (Aptx), and I gather I will need a special cable to connect the R6 to H2 via coax.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #1,479 of 1,971
Is anyone else having problems doing the OTA firmware download? The R6 is definitely connected to the internet and I've disabled the Pi-hole on my network, yet the R6 still errors out with, "Currently there is no network, please check the network status."

Why isn't there a manual download for the R6 2020 on the HiBy site?

edit: Finally, after clearing the update cache multiple times the update itself finally downloaded. Weird. Did that yesterday a few times and nothing. Did it today and one more clearing of the update cache kicked it into gear.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,480 of 1,971
Is anyone else having problems doing the OTA firmware download? The R6 is definitely connected to the internet and I've disabled the Pi-hole on my network, yet the R6 still errors out with, "Currently there is no network, please check the network status."

Why isn't there a manual download for the R6 2020 on the HiBy site?

edit: Finally, after clearing the update cache multiple times the update itself finally downloaded. Weird. Did that yesterday a few times and nothing. Did it today and one more clearing of the update cache kicked it into gear.
Had exactly same issue, clearing the cache the day after triggered the download to commence

Jul 23, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,481 of 1,971
I had intermittent cutouts before losing sound completely.

Regarding battery drain, have it shutoff automatically when not in use. You can change it in the settings.

Sucks these DAPs are never as stable as smartphones. At least they fixed the wifi issue from the previous gen.
I hope you got your issues with the R6 New sorted out. I notice you got the IE900s. That's a pairing I'm considering to go with my R6 New. Were you able to get a sense of how they worked together? What kind of music do you listen to? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Jul 23, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #1,482 of 1,971
I hope you got your issues with the R6 New sorted out. I notice you got the IE900s. That's a pairing I'm considering to go with my R6 New. Were you able to get a sense of how they worked together? What kind of music do you listen to? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Yeah I received a replacement unit and haven't had any issues since then :fingers_crossed:. R6(2020)/IE900 pairing is how I mainly use the DAP and they sound wonderful together. But then I'm less picky with how DAPs sound in general. I've owned several DAPs from mid-tier to flagship, but I was never too critical with "sound" when it came to portable gear, but instead focused on things like performance/UI logic/functions etc. as portability and convenience are my priorities when it comes to DAPs.

I listen to variety of genres from classic rock, vocal Jazz, folk/Americana, Indie/Alt/soft rock, 90s Hip-hop, electronic, Singer/Songwriter, Retro/soul, pop/rock, and etc. So most genres except for Classical music. I think IE900 works well with most genres, especially with Jazz/hiphop/EDM type music backed up by its solid low end.

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,483 of 1,971
Yeah I received a replacement unit and haven't had any issues since then :fingers_crossed:. R6(2020)/IE900 pairing is how I mainly use the DAP and they sound wonderful together. But then I'm less picky with how DAPs sound in general. I've owned several DAPs from mid-tier to flagship, but I was never too critical with "sound" when it came to portable gear, but instead focused on things like performance/UI logic/functions etc. as portability and convenience are my priorities when it comes to DAPs.

I listen to variety of genres from classic rock, vocal Jazz, folk/Americana, Indie/Alt/soft rock, 90s Hip-hop, electronic, Singer/Songwriter, Retro/soul, pop/rock, and etc. So most genres except for Classical music. I think IE900 works well with most genres, especially with Jazz/hiphop/EDM type music backed up by its solid low end.
Thanks for your reply. I’m into roots, jazz, rock, vocal music, folk, etc along those lines . I’m getting the sense that type of music may not fully play to the IE900’s strengths (though I do like good bass presence). Any suggestions for other items around the same price?

Jul 23, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,484 of 1,971
Thanks for your reply. I’m into roots, jazz, rock, vocal music, folk, etc along those lines . I’m getting the sense that type of music may not fully play to the IE900’s strengths (though I do like good bass presence). Any suggestions for other items around the same price?
FWIW, I listen to a lot of jazz (from Bop to contemporary) and the IE 900 are terrific. I'd say my listening is ~40% jazz; ~40% electronic (ambient/tech house/dub tech/a little trance); the remaining ~20% mostly prog rock, alternative, some pop, some classical.

Jul 23, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #1,485 of 1,971

I left the IEM scene a few years ago, so I'm not too keen on the latest offerings. I only purchased the IE300/900 because I'm a big Sennheiser fan. I mostly listen to HPs these days. Sorry. From what I used to own, IER-Z1R is the only set I can recommend in that price range, which I liked quite a bit. I'm sure it's still a great IEM if you can get past the cumbersome size/fit.

But if you're looking for a single DD, IE900 is probably your best bet ATM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back