HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Jul 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,456 of 1,971
Hi. new to the forum and to R6. Quick question. Is there a trick to changing MSEB and/or the EQ settings? I know You can get to it through Hiby music app for local files or by swiping down from the top and selecting audio setting for other apps like Amazon. The problem is It doesn't always work for me and when I try to change MSEB OR EQ settings there is no change in audio so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I understand MQA is off limit for these changes. Thank you in advance.

PS - I had it working a couple of times but often I'm unable to change the settings

Yes, there is a trick, did you enable it? :wink:

Jul 10, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #1,459 of 1,971
I figured it out. I thought I was losing my mind because sometimes it worked, sometimes it didnt. See 11:35 in the posted Hiby player review regarding DSD settings impact on MSEB and EQ, tested it (playing DSD files) and can confirm. These functions dont work if you are playing DSD files and have set DSD mode to native in Hiby music settings. Default is PCM and everything works with DSD files. FLAC worked all the time so anytime I switched from playing FLAC to DSD the MSEB/EQ wouldnt work with DSD set to native in the setting.

Thanks

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #1,460 of 1,971
I had intermittent cutouts before losing sound completely.

Regarding battery drain, have it shutoff automatically when not in use. You can change it in the settings.

Sucks these DAPs are never as stable as smartphones. At least they fixed the wifi issue from the previous gen.
It happens, but Hiby needs to make sure their QC of these products is ramped up. That was ultimately caused me to return a defective R8 after multiple chat sessions with their service dept. It helped that I had a DX300 and Shanling M8 on the way so that I had a good mid-tier backup for my A&K SP2000. Ultimately, kept the M8 and never looked back.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,461 of 1,971
For the EQ with DSD thing, playing them as PCM will do less harm to the file than any DAP's EQ circuit so no big deal and it makes perfect sense. DSD files get mixed in DXD which is essentially PCM and then converted back for distribution. For DSD the EQ options are convert to PCM in the digital domain or do it in the analog domain which is obviously not an option in DAPs. I don't believe anything can EQ in the true DSD domain. Units that appear to EQ DSD directly, have actually already converting them in the playback chain unless the tech is different than I recall from a few years back.

I personally have about as much use for DSD as I do for MQA but it's always nice if the formats are available for playback when those are the source options. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #1,462 of 1,971
Not a big deal just want to get to know my device. Does anyone know why I cant pass DSD native from R6 to an external DAC (DSD capable Gustard X16) via the USB C. Using the USB you can only pass DSD set to PCM. However, You can do native DSD if you use the internal DAC and pass the signal to AMP via the PO line out (4.4 in my case).

Also the USB is the only way to pass digital signal, right? There in no difference in the 4.4 and 3.5 mm outlets on the bottom it seems. They are all analog and interchangeable, in another word I can plug my headphone to LO just as I can to PO with no difference, right? The 2 on the bottom left seem to do exactly as the 2 on the bottom right. Its the naming convention that got me confused.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #1,464 of 1,971
Not a big deal just want to get to know my device. Does anyone know why I cant pass DSD native from R6 to an external DAC (DSD capable Gustard X16) via the USB C. Using the USB you can only pass DSD set to PCM. However, You can do native DSD if you use the internal DAC and pass the signal to AMP via the PO line out (4.4 in my case).

Also the USB is the only way to pass digital signal, right? There in no difference in the 4.4 and 3.5 mm outlets on the bottom it seems. They are all analog and interchangeable, in another word I can plug my headphone to LO just as I can to PO with no difference, right? The 2 on the bottom left seem to do exactly as the 2 on the bottom right. Its the naming convention that got me confused.
I have no DSD files to test. Have you changed your settings back to DSD from PCM conversion? If not working, try setting DSD mode to DoP in case you had set it to native. DoP is a PCM carrier that packs and unpacks DSD in a bit perfect process. DSD in and out.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,466 of 1,971
I just got this a few days ago to replace my R5. Two questions. Should I be using balanced out or balanced normal port for my iems. Second, on the R5 I could get good volume at 40 low gain. However, on the New R6 I need to push it up to 60 to get the same volume. So. Should I be using low gain high volume or mid gain and lower volume? I'm using the Moondrop Blessing2

Jul 16, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,467 of 1,971
^
Using the line out should only be for connecting to an external amp. Connecting the balanced out directly to headphone will negate any volume control.

The gain settings will come down to personal preference. Whatever sounds best while using the least power is what I usually opt for.

Jul 16, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #1,468 of 1,971
Thank you.

I see you have some headphones and I was looking at the DT 770 80 ohm for home listening. You think the R6 2020 can drive these without an external amp to achieve good results?

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #1,469 of 1,971
Thank you.

I see you have some headphones and I was looking at the DT 770 80 ohm for home listening. You think the R6 2020 can drive these without an external amp to achieve good results?
When I was new to this head-fi stuff, and did not even know the meaning of the different special expression, I learned the meaning of "sound stage" on DT770. Namely it did not have any compared to the DT990. Try once Meze 99 Classics.

Jul 17, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,470 of 1,971
^
Using the line out should only be for connecting to an external amp. Connecting the balanced out directly to headphone will negate any volume control.

The gain settings will come down to personal preference. Whatever sounds best while using the least power is what I usually opt for.
Line out is still variable but doesn't have the drive or correct output impedance for phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back