HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Jul 4, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #1,444 of 1,971
Hi folks, has anyone used a different case (whether leather or TPU) with the R6 2020? The leather case that came with my player makes one-handed volume control nigh-impossible to achieve, sadly. The cutouts leave little room for my fingers, and I don't think mine are particularly big to begin with. :frowning2:

Any opinions and experiences would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,447 of 1,971
...it's the same with the TPU case for this model.... but you can make a cut in this TPU case....
Thanks. It's a shame that the design of the case(s) has curtailed the functionality of the volume control. I actually use the volume wheel/buttons on my DAPs a fair bit, so this was a bit of a downer.

Jul 7, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #1,449 of 1,971
Hello folks.... I am an avid Shanling M8 fan and currently I have the Hiby R5 Saber on review tour...I am stunned at how good the Rs sounds, so much so that I have put the M8 up for sale and plan on purchasing the R5s. Yes, of course the M8 sounds better, but it is also 4 X's the price!

My question is, does anyone have compared the R5s to the R6 pro? If I am going to change, is it better to go with the R6pro or the R5s? How much better does the R6pro sound?

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,450 of 1,971
Hello folks.... I am an avid Shanling M8 fan and currently I have the Hiby R5 Saber on review tour...I am stunned at how good the Rs sounds, so much so that I have put the M8 up for sale and plan on purchasing the R5s. Yes, of course the M8 sounds better, but it is also 4 X's the price!

My question is, does anyone have compared the R5s to the R6 pro? If I am going to change, is it better to go with the R6pro or the R5s? How much better does the R6pro sound?
I would listen to the HiBy for a day or so, without switching back and forth with your M8.... then go back to the M8, and see how you react.

'Good enough' or 'almost as good' sometimes don;t cut it- when you are selling a piece at a loss, to move down the ladder....

Just sayin'. I'm told the R6 2020 is the sweet spot, and it is still cheaper than your M8...

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #1,451 of 1,971
I would listen to the HiBy for a day or so, without switching back and forth with your M8.... then go back to the M8, and see how you react.

'Good enough' or 'almost as good' sometimes don;t cut it- when you are selling a piece at a loss, to move down the ladder....

Just sayin'. I'm told the R6 2020 is the sweet spot, and it is still cheaper than your M8...
Thanks for that feedback, definitley good advice.

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #1,452 of 1,971
Thanks for that feedback, definitley good advice.
I will be curious to know how that works out - feel free to message me if you'd like to keep it 'off-thread'

Jul 7, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,453 of 1,971
Well the M8 is fuller and has better soundstage, it is also very heavy and runs hot. When I am listening to the R5s, I easily forget that I am not listening to the M8, and it's size and weight are a big bonus for me.... When I owned the SR-25 ($600), it seemed the sound stage was lacking depth...The R5s has depth and layering, and it has the hint of warmth of the M8...the M8 excells in musicality, however. I bought the M8 on sale for 1,400...If I can get 1,200 for it I'll be happy. Plus the main reason I am selling (really the only reason), Is I need some quick cash.

Jul 8, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,454 of 1,971

Ya, so I took your adivice and listened to R5 exclusevly for a day, and now this morning I'm having my coffee listening to M8, and I definitely see what you mean. As great as the R5s is for the price, the M8 just magically takes it to another level. I have the M8 up for sale, but now I am reconsidering.... I got the M8 on sale for 1,400, and I know in my gut if I sell it, i will probably never get it again, especially since I had to take 2 paycuts in the last year..... I'm thinking the wise thing to do is hang on to the M8.....thanks, my friend....

Jul 9, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,455 of 1,971
UPDATE: Solved (see 3 posts below)

Hi. new to the forum and to R6. Quick question. Is there a trick to changing MSEB and/or the EQ settings? I know You can get to it through Hiby music app for local files or by swiping down from the top and selecting audio setting for other apps like Amazon. The problem is It doesn't always work for me and when I try to change MSEB OR EQ settings there is no change in audio so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I understand MQA is off limit for these changes. Thank you in advance.

PS - I had it working a couple of times but often I'm unable to change the sound no matter what settings. The slider moves but makes no audible change.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back