HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #196 of 1,971
I'm thinking of letting go of the R6 2020 version. It has Google Play. I think I'll stick with the DX220. DM if anyone interested. I'm in Hong Kong so anybody can get the 2020 R6 unlike those in overseas. It's kinda neutral sounding.
What amp module are you using on your DX 220?

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #199 of 1,971
even R6pro is better for me than DX220 amp1

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #202 of 1,971
Thanks for the feedback. What sort of bugs are you finding?

May be just me as I'm really easy to find those "bug", like when I use my iPhone...
1. The Hiby music apps always terminated suddenly (esp. during burn-in)
2. The Hiby music apps cannot ready the SD card after swap. I'm sure have ejected before insert again. It needs to restart the R6.
3. Failed to read the DLNA server in my home (it's JRiver, 24-bits).

May be software issue:
1. After connect to my pc (windows 10), it cannot read the R6 for synchronizing songs. Not even as a drive. I can only sync the songs with wifi sync (which is messy for me).
2. The sorting is a mess for me.... I hate most Chinese apps sorting the song using alphabetic of pinyin.

BTW, just read Romi has update in his Facebook for the mods. Guys who are interested may take a look. I'm tempted. :D

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #203 of 1,971
May be just me as I'm really easy to find those "bug", like when I use my iPhone...
1. The Hiby music apps always terminated suddenly (esp. during burn-in)
2. The Hiby music apps cannot ready the SD card after swap. I'm sure have ejected before insert again. It needs to restart the R6.
3. Failed to read the DLNA server in my home (it's JRiver, 24-bits).

May be software issue:
1. After connect to my pc (windows 10), it cannot read the R6 for synchronizing songs. Not even as a drive. I can only sync the songs with wifi sync (which is messy for me).
2. The sorting is a mess for me.... I hate most Chinese apps sorting the song using alphabetic of pinyin.

BTW, just read Romi has update in his Facebook for the mods. Guys who are interested may take a look. I'm tempted. :D
My solution for all of the above is simple: I disable HiBy Music. Personally I find it useless, much like FiiO music. The only app I use (and the reason I need an Android player) is UAPP. Best sound, best features, logical layout, constantly being developed, very polished. Also supports native resolutions and integrates Tidal, DLNA etc.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #204 of 1,971
My solution for all of the above is simple: I disable HiBy Music. Personally I find it useless, much like FiiO music. The only app I use (and the reason I need an Android player) is UAPP. Best sound, best features, logical layout, constantly being developed, very polished. Also supports native resolutions and integrates Tidal, DLNA etc.
Exactly.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #206 of 1,971
Still waiting on your impressions of the new R6 :wink:
I have switched from Fiio M15 to new R6 and as I mentioned, I am looking for a device for streaming online and from my server. Compared to M15 which I described it as neutral but boring or not engaging, R6 is more musical with foot tapping characteristic. Overall sound signature is very balanced with good extension in both low and high, with a slight v-shaped sound pattern. The OS is very smooth and responsive, and rather stable as I have just encountered a system crash once. Perfect form factor and operating temperature is on low side even decoding DSD, and working seamlessly with all installed apps including UAPP. One weakness is that the background is not as dark as other TOTL DAPs but no hiss for all my IEMs (please see my signature), despite an occasional noise when working on mobile hotspot of my mobile phone for online streaming, of which I think it is caused by wifi interference.

I am also having Luxury & Precision P6 of which I think it is best in class in sound performance due to its discrete R2R implemenation. I am also having Sony 1Z and a Romi Blackgate modded Sony 1A and the new R6 is complementary to my other DAPs and I enjoy it as much as other players.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #207 of 1,971
I have switched from Fiio M15 to new R6 and as I mentioned, I am looking for a device for streaming online and from my server. Compared to M15 which I described it as neutral but boring or not engaging, R6 is more musical with foot tapping characteristic. Overall sound signature is very balanced with good extension in both low and high, with a slight v-shaped sound pattern. The OS is very smooth and responsive, and rather stable as I have just encountered a system crash once. Perfect form factor and operating temperature is on low side even decoding DSD, and working seamlessly with all installed apps including UAPP. One weakness is that the background is not as dark as other TOTL DAPs but no hiss for all my IEMs (please see my signature), despite an occasional noise when working on mobile hotspot of my mobile phone for online streaming, of which I think it is caused by wifi interference.

I am also having Luxury & Precision P6 of which I think it is best in class in sound performance due to its discrete R2R implemenation. I am also having Sony 1Z and a Romi Blackgate modded Sony 1A and the new R6 is complementary to my other DAPs and I enjoy it as much as other players.
M15 is very disappointing.

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #208 of 1,971

Thanks for this. Did you have any experience with the R6 Pro at all, or the R8? Wondering how it compares to those two, especially in terms of sound signature and stage size. I'm busy testing the R8 now and finding the stage size is quite a bit larger (with a blacker background) than the R6 Pro, so keen to know how much of an improvement the new R6 is over the R6 Pro in particular.

Dec 7, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #209 of 1,971
Thanks for this. Did you have any experience with the R6 Pro at all, or the R8? Wondering how it compares to those two, especially in terms of sound signature and stage size. I'm busy testing the R8 now and finding the stage size is quite a bit larger (with a blacker background) than the R6 Pro, so keen to know how much of an improvement the new R6 is over the R6 Pro in particular.
I have not tried R6 Pro but tried R8 briefly. From my memory sound signature is quite difference but yes the R8 has larger soundstage and more warmth in the mid.

Eagerly awaiting for your review on R8.

Dec 7, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #210 of 1,971
It would be interesting a comparison with shanling M6 pro that I Love ❤️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back