HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Mar 3, 2023 at 10:28 AM Post #886 of 1,092
My Hiby R5 Gen 2 will simply not work with my FIIO BTR7.

The BTR7 keeps saying "pairing," while the Hiby finds the BTR7, and even says "connected," but no music ever plays, since the BTR7 is continuing to say pairing.

Anyone ever encounter this, and a solution?

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Now the HIBY is doing the exact same thing with my new Noble Mystique. What is going on????

FURTHER EDIT: I tried doing a factory reset by pushing power and volume up for 20 seconds. It went on and off, and now it's non-responsive, with the power button lit blue.

Further Further Edit: Now it's showing a picture of something yellow with a red caution triangle, and saying "No command"

Further Further Further Edit: I managed somehow to get to some internal screen, and i told it to reboot. And now I'm back to the original, not factory reset, and still no bluetooth connections.

Isn't holding power and arrow up supposed to go to factory reset?

Further Further Further Further Edit: I found the section in the device that provides for factory reset. Now everything works and I just have to reinstall programs.

Um...ok.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #887 of 1,092

The BTR7 keeps saying "pairing," while the Hiby finds the BTR7, and even says "connected," but no music ever plays, since the BTR7 is continuing to say pairing.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Now the HIBY is doing the exact same thing with my new Noble Mystique. What is going on????

FURTHER EDIT: I tried doing a factory reset by pushing power and volume up for 20 seconds. It went on and off, and now it's non-responsive, with the power button lit blue.

Further Further Edit: Now it's showing a picture of something yellow with a red caution triangle, and saying "No command"

Further Further Further Edit: I managed somehow to get to some internal screen, and i told it to reboot. And now I'm back to the original, not factory reset, and still no bluetooth connections.

Further Further Further Further Edit: I found the section in the device that provides for factory reset. Now everything works and I just have to reinstall programs.

Um...ok.
Why use that though? The r5 gen 2 has all the same ports

Mar 3, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #888 of 1,092

Um...ok.
Sometimes it goes into a weird state. If the light is on and its not booting into android, hold the power button for about 30-60 seconds and it will boot up.

Its quite annoying, happens to me every other time if I let the battery die.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #890 of 1,092
Sometimes it goes into a weird state. If the light is on and its not booting into android, hold the power button for about 30-60 seconds and it will boot up.

Its quite annoying, happens to me every other time if I let the battery die.
There's an awful lot of "goes into a weird state" going on with the r5 Gen 2 that I've had over the past year.

However, I tried its sometime comparison, a smaller package in the DX170, and there is no question that with reasonable iem's, like the Final Audio B3, I can clearly say that its audio is superior to that of the DX170. In Class A mode, of course.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #891 of 1,092
There's an awful lot of "goes into a weird state" going on with the r5 Gen 2 that I've had over the past year.

However, I tried its sometime comparison, a smaller package in the DX170, and there is no question that with reasonable iem's, like the Final Audio B3, I can clearly say that its audio is superior to that of the DX170. In Class A mode, of course.
Yea i know, and they haven't bothered to update the device in quite a long time to address these bugs.

If it didn't sound so damn good, I'd get rid of it.

But usually, the hold the power button thing works if it seems like it's bricked.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #892 of 1,092
Yea i know, and they haven't bothered to update the device in quite a long time to address these bugs.

If it didn't sound so damn good, I'd get rid of it.

But usually, the hold the power button thing works if it seems like it's bricked.
I decided to try my luck with the R6 gen III, because of the higher android, and hopefully none of these bugs, and also some reviews that suggest that it sounds somewhat better, which doesn't hurt at all.

So I will try to get rid of the R5 Gen 2. I don't even begin to know how. Probably I'll just stack it with my "museum" collection going as far back as the awful, awful, slow-as-frozen-molasses AK Junior.

Mar 4, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #893 of 1,092
I decided to try my luck with the R6 gen III, because of the higher android, and hopefully none of these bugs, and also some reviews that suggest that it sounds somewhat better, which doesn't hurt at all.

So I will try to get rid of the R5 Gen 2. I don't even begin to know how. Probably I'll just stack it with my "museum" collection going as far back as the awful, awful, slow-as-frozen-molasses AK Junior.
I'm with you on that r6 gen 3. Kinda wish they even just updated and cared about their devices.

May 15, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #894 of 1,092
Hi all. Maybe somebody could help me with my DAP.
I bought the Gen 2 a few months ago, everything was working rather fine, but few days ago something wrong happened with bluetooth connection - precisely the wireless control.

In car I'm not able to skip tracks using a button on steering wheel (also my board computer stopped showing name of the tracks and covers)
And on the same day while using headphones (Koss Porta Pro Wireless) I wasn't able to Play/Pause in my player (Poweramp). If that wasn't strange, the Skip button didn't worked in Poweramp, but using it triggered the basic Hiby Player to start playing.
I went through all the options in HiBy settings and both players settings menu (the Poweramp has an option of turning on/off the wireless control, but it was still "on"), of course I've restared both devices many times, unpaired headphones and paired again and so on.

Any idea, what could have happened? I guess I'll try to do a system reboot, but maybe there is simpler solution. Many thanks for any advice.

May 15, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #895 of 1,092
Hi all. Maybe somebody could help me with my DAP.
I bought the Gen 2 a few months ago, everything was working rather fine, but few days ago something wrong happened with bluetooth connection - precisely the wireless control.

In car I'm not able to skip tracks using a button on steering wheel (also my board computer stopped showing name of the tracks and covers)
And on the same day while using headphones (Koss Porta Pro Wireless) I wasn't able to Play/Pause in my player (Poweramp). If that wasn't strange, the Skip button didn't worked in Poweramp, but using it triggered the basic Hiby Player to start playing.
I went through all the options in HiBy settings and both players settings menu (the Poweramp has an option of turning on/off the wireless control, but it was still "on"), of course I've restared both devices many times, unpaired headphones and paired again and so on.

Any idea, what could have happened? I guess I'll try to do a system reboot, but maybe there is simpler solution. Many thanks for any advice.
Try going into app settings for HiBy from the android settings and tapping Force Stop? It seems to have woken up and taken over play/pause signals which would be fine if you were using it...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 15, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #896 of 1,092
I'm with you on that r6 gen 3. Kinda wish they even just updated and cared about their devices.
The R5 gen 2 is still on the list of things to be updated. We issued an update for the original R6 launched in 2017, this year.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 17, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #897 of 1,092
Try going into app settings for HiBy from the android settings and tapping Force Stop? It seems to have woken up and taken over play/pause signals which would be fine if you were using it...

Yes, I tried both force stop and disabling the app. None of this worked. And today - same situation, wireless headphones, Poweramp - I used the skip button on th HiBy (the physical one) and it also triggered HiBy Music to open :/. Maybe I'll just reinstall Poweramp, before trying system reinstall.

May 17, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #899 of 1,092
Updates? They just updated a device from 2017. Our R5G2 ought to be updated by 2028 so there’s that. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed mine and only had a two minor issues that I was able to work through. Not sure I will ever buy another DAP, though. Hope my device lasts another three years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back