HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Dec 20, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #856 of 1,092
If you are in the US, Amazon has the R5II on a flash sale for only $359.20, which is a great deal for this DAP. Right now the deal is 25% claimed, so act fast!

1671575900351.png

Jan 19, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #857 of 1,092
has anybody compared with the Shanling m3 ultra?

Jan 19, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #858 of 1,092
has anybody compared with the Shanling m3 ultra?
Didnt compare but heared the m3 ultra. I think sound wise the hiby is way beter with almost double the output power (in balanced and class a).
Class a mode gives the hiby something special which you are missing in the Shanling.
The android speed is beter om the m3 ultra because is has a better processor (snapdragon 665), and has android 10, so longer support from the most streaming service.
I like the volume wheel on the shanling better than the buttons on the hiby, but I would never choose the Shanling over the Hiby.

I would say the shanling is a top budget-fi player (although it's almost the same price as the hiby here in the EU) the hiby is a great mid-fi player.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #860 of 1,092
By the way I don't mean it as if the shanling is a bad player, because it is not it's very nice! (but the hiby is better :))
That’s exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I’m most concerned with sound quality.

I have and like the m3x, its biggest knocks is the lack of power and system-wide EQ. Reviews lead me to believe tonality, dynamics, detail retrieval are improved on the m3 ultra, and with android 10 you’re able to use apps like wavelet for EQ. Battery life is still great, but power is still the same. Still, a pretty good upgrade to the m3x. The R52 sounds like it’s a step up in tonality and power with MSEB. Android 8 is a bummer, but I’ll mostly be streaming anyway. Have not owned or heard any Hiby gear before.

Jan 19, 2023 at 6:52 AM Post #861 of 1,092
That’s exactly what I was looking for, thank you. I’m most concerned with sound quality.

I have and like the m3x, its biggest knocks is the lack of power and system-wide EQ. Reviews lead me to believe tonality, dynamics, detail retrieval are improved on the m3 ultra, and with android 10 you’re able to use apps like wavelet for EQ. Battery life is still great, but power is still the same. Still, a pretty good upgrade to the m3x. The R52 sounds like it’s a step up in tonality and power with MSEB. Android 8 is a bummer, but I’ll mostly be streaming anyway. Have not owned or heard any Hiby gear before.
For cpu and android version id take the m3 ultra. For a bit warmer sound and better tonality imo the r5 gen 2 is the way to go. This is based off the m3x, and even with what you said per reviews the class a has always intrigued me as being better

Jan 19, 2023 at 8:34 PM Post #862 of 1,092
Delete

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2023 at 7:31 AM Post #864 of 1,092
Hi , is this hiby r5 Ii main thread/forum on head Fi?

Just got my R5 ii today. It's good ^^

I have a question,

Can I use the 3.5mm for my speaker monitoring, and use 4.4mm for my headphones in the same time?

It's for music mixing purpose, where I need to swap between headphone and speaker in fast time.

Thanks ^^

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 8:14 PM Post #866 of 1,092
Anyone know what is battery life you getting on Class A mode when listening to mostly 320kb MP3s?
Probably about 6-7 hours.

Class A puts a heavy load on the battery.

Jan 24, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #867 of 1,092
Is the 3.9 vrms value Hiby state for max power on Class A via balanced, a no load value? So same measurement Astel and Kern give for thir players?
As it matches the SR25 mk2 which has 4 vrms no load on balanced but much better battery life. Unless the Hiby value is at 32 ohms or 16 ohms load.

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #868 of 1,092
Is the 3.9 vrms value Hiby state for max power on Class A via balanced, a no load value? So same measurement Astel and Kern give for thir players?
As it matches the SR25 mk2 which has 4 vrms no load on balanced but much better battery life. Unless the Hiby value is at 32 ohms or 16 ohms load.
Might need to ask Hiby support for that info.

Class A usually uses full power draw all the time. If the value is 3.9vrms, its probably using all or close to all of it.

The sr25 doesnt look to be pure class A. Thats probably why the battery life is longer.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #869 of 1,092
Might need to ask Hiby support for that info.

Class A usually uses full power draw all the time. If the value is 3.9vrms, its probably using all or close to all of it.

The sr25 doesnt look to be pure class A. Thats probably why the battery life is longer.
Will ask them when they are back from Chinese New Year break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back