HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Jul 15, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #692 of 1,092
What I know from my own use:

- to use as wifi tether, I have to select tethering on my phone when selecting r5ii.
- to use as "dongle", after have done the above previously, forget R5II and reconnect but for media.

I may be wrong, but I think they're not simultaneously possible.

Jul 19, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #693 of 1,092
Charging issues?

A customer just reported the following:

I'm sorry to report there is a problem with the device and I will be returning it to you. I recharged it last night from 30% and at 40% it displayed a message "cannot charge anymore". I tried a few other cables still the same problem. Read the manual and tried a reset but now there is nothing, the unit will not turn on. Clearly HiBy have a problem. I will put it back in the post to you today. "

Did any of you encounter a similar issue?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #696 of 1,092
Has anybody else tried to use the R5 Gen 2 as a DAC for DSD / SACD? I have used the Apple CCK (powered) and all I seem to get is 24 bit 88 khz not DSD. Just wondering if this is a one off issue. The iphone app is from HiBy. Everything seems to work as expected with my USB dongle.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #698 of 1,092
I listen to a number of devices but will just drop this photo as I must have listened over 20hrs on this one charge of my own files with all wireless off

When its off it seems to use no battery at all, unlike many Android devices. This must be a record 😀
20220720_204355.jpg

Yep, over 45 days since I charged it!!!

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #699 of 1,092
Do we think that the newly announced IBasso DX170 may have better sound quality that the R5 Gen 2?
Thats all very subjective and only you can know by testing.

I find the R5GII great, even in Eco mode, but I'm also using a Khadas Tea DAC/AMP with iPhone 13 mini and for me that sounds better, being more musical/emotional.

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #700 of 1,092
Thats all very subjective and only you can know by testing.

I find the R5GII great, even in Eco mode, but I'm also using a Khadas Tea DAC/AMP with iPhone 13 mini and for me that sounds better, being more musical/emotional.
Not to stay too far off topic, but have you had any issues with the Tea? I saw some griping over in that thread, and figure I'll wait for the Pro (maybe).

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #701 of 1,092
Not to stay too far off topic, but have you had any issues with the Tea? I saw some griping over in that thread, and figure I'll wait for the Pro (maybe).
Apart from having some background noise with my SE846's, I've found it very good sound wise and great paired with Magsafe to iPhone 13 mini. Buttons can be a bit too easy to accidental press.

I only paid ~ £110 to import so great for the price.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #703 of 1,092
I listen to a number of devuces but will just drop this photo as I must have listened over 20hrs on this one charge of my own files with all wireless off

When its off it seems to use no battery at all, unlike many Android devices. This must be a record 😀
20220720_204355.jpg
Yep, over 45 days since I charged it!!!
Never tried fully ECO mode on a charge before... But yes this is true. Haha

Jul 21, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #704 of 1,092
Is anyone having problems with 5ghz wifi on their hiby?

I can connect but cannot play any music via qobuz/Spotify etc. (Qobuz shows network error, also web browsing doesn't work)
Sometimes it's working sometimes not (even if it's working it's not the most reliable thing in the world)
With 2,4ghz network it's working just fine.
Any suggestions?
@HiByMusic @Joe Bloggs

Ps i don't have mesh network at home. And yes restarting unit helps but after sometimes couple of minutes sometimes couple of seconds 5ghz network stops working again. It's very frustrating 😖

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #705 of 1,092
Is anyone having problems with 5ghz wifi on their hiby?

I can connect but cannot play any music via qobuz/Spotify etc. (Qobuz shows network error, also web browsing doesn't work)
Sometimes it's working sometimes not (even if it's working it's not the most reliable thing in the world)
With 2,4ghz network it's working just fine.
Any suggestions?
@HiByMusic @Joe Bloggs

Ps i don't have mesh network at home. And yes restarting unit helps but after sometimes couple of minutes sometimes couple of seconds 5ghz network stops working again. It's very frustrating 😖
Not streamed for ages as just listening to my own tracks, but yes, did have some wifi drop outs that turning wifi off then back on again reconnected. Will have to trst again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back