HiBy R5 Gen 2 - Class A headamp, Dual ES9219C, 35h playtime, MQA 16x, open Android
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #946 of 1,081
No, this is something completely different, very short and quiet popping sound that you mean is there, but it is really very short and extremely quiet. But what happened yesterday, was an extremely loud popping sound - this loud, that I was afraid it would damage my IEMs, so I have done testing with a very cheap model instead - every time I tried to switch class A mode. This popping sound was longer and much stronger. And of course the most important difference - there was no music at all after switching it on, but the player worked fine with economy mode.

Now it is still working, so let's see when this happens again, hope not too soon.

Oct 20, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #949 of 1,081
Two questions.
Can the Hiby R5ii easily power a Sennheiser HD 598 via single ended class A?
And can it power a sennheiser HD 650 via balanced class A?
Yes it easily power the 598s.

I'm not too sure about the 650. It should be enough but might be close to maxing out the volume.

Oct 21, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #950 of 1,081
I am in a position to either buy a Hiby R5ii Or a Tempotec V6 Or a Topping G5. Power output of V6 is listed higher. But I am leaning more towards R5ii due to the class A amp because I have read that it may offer more voltage swing for higher impedance headphones. I have a Sennheiser hd 598 which I am aiming to run class A via single ended. And A Sennheiser hd 650 that I am aiming to run via class A balanced. G5 is obviously high on power but it has saber dac due to which I feel my Sennheiser hd 598 may get too sharp at times plus I don't know how refined the G5 really is in terms of it's dac performance.
So can anyone here from their personal experience shed some light on the driving capability of R5ii from the above two configurations.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #951 of 1,081
I had both dacs (G5 gray, R5II). I ended up sending the topping G5 back because it was too flat and linear! I heard it was very digital tasty.
I didn’t return the hiby r5ii because it has amazing sound quality! I use my headphones (hd560s, shure aonic 4, ikko oh10, oh2) with class ab (economy) amplification and it sounds better than the G5.
I had lot of dac/dap device (a&k sr15, a&k70, fiio x7II, a&k junior, G5, fiio x5III, Btr7, Btr3k, ikko itb03, ka3, ifi zen v2, ifi go blue) and for me it's the most fun sound from my list. If you turn A class another level, but for me little bit warmer and thicker, this mode I recommend it for high impedance headphones, for examples hd 500 series ,hd600 series etc.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #952 of 1,081
I had both dacs (G5 gray, R5II). I ended up sending the topping G5 back because it was too flat and linear! I heard it was very digital tasty.
I didn’t return the hiby r5ii because it has amazing sound quality! I use my headphones (hd560s, shure aonic 4, ikko oh10, oh2) with class ab (economy) amplification and it sounds better than the G5.
I had lot of dac/dap device (a&k sr15, a&k70, fiio x7II, a&k junior, G5, fiio x5III, Btr7, Btr3k, ikko itb03, ka3, ifi zen v2, ifi go blue) and for me it's the most fun sound from my list. If you turn A class another level, but for me little bit warmer and thicker, this mode I recommend it for high impedance headphones, for examples hd 500 series ,hd600 series etc.
If something like the hd 560 can run via ab economy then the R5ii can easily juice my hd 598 via single ended class a I guess. And maybe it can juice hd 650 via balanced class a

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #954 of 1,081
Just ordered one of these, here on Tuesday :) How does it handle in terms of speed? I'm OK with a HiBy OS take on an outdated Android system - honestly if you're running 8.1 in 2023 you really should make the right moves in just about every other department, and it sounds like this fits the bill for me. I've had mixed to bad experiences with full Android players so want to see how this compares :)

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #955 of 1,081
Recently bought a Hiby R5ii. Ran it with my Sennheiser HD 650 single ended class A. And it worked very well. Then I just tried a Chinese 'Faaeal 4.4 mm balanced cable' with my HD 650. Since then I have been feeling that the Hiby R5ii sounds a little less loud just a narrow bit only on single ended. Could be a psychological thing too. But I just wonder if the cable may have compromised the inner amp. Do amps even get damaged like that without anything dramatic to reveal? Or do amps get damaged dramatically and emphatically as in they just stop sounding or sound too bad explicitly rather than something so subtle.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #956 of 1,081
Recently bought a Hiby R5ii. Ran it with my Sennheiser HD 650 single ended class A. And it worked very well. Then I just tried a Chinese 'Faaeal 4.4 mm balanced cable' with my HD 650. Since then I have been feeling that the Hiby R5ii sounds a little less loud just a narrow bit only on single ended. Could be a psychological thing too. But I just wonder if the cable may have compromised the inner amp. Do amps even get damaged like that without anything dramatic to reveal? Or do amps get damaged dramatically and emphatically as in they just stop sounding or sound too bad explicitly rather than something so subtle.
The cable shouldn't do much of anything besides deliver the right plug/balanced output/power that the headphones need

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #958 of 1,081
It's arrived! How do you enable USB OTG on this thing because I uh... may have forgotten to insert the microSD before putting it in the extremely tight case.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #959 of 1,081
the cables work or not. It changes the acoustics of the sound and the sound stage. If the headphone amplifier fails, there is no sound. I don't think there is a less dramatic error.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #960 of 1,081
I found out my 1TB microSD (with nowhere near that amount of music on it) actually died somehow so I had to destroy the case to get access to the microSD slot ANYWAY. This seems to be working just fine so far - replacement case on the way soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back