Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 9, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #121 of 2,070
Joe the standby crashing is pretty bad. It only does it when standby is activated. But the now playing freezes and the unit has to be restarted and sometimes reset.

If you didn't report that one please do :)

Even though the boot up time is fast it's still nice not to have to turn it off.

Dec 10, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #123 of 2,070
I find it interesting that although the R3 Pro has been available for sale on other sites the hiby site is still taking pre-orders and won't ship any units until December 15th. They are also including 3 free gifts including a 32 GB microsd card, leather case and an additional pouch.

I am wondering if these pre-order units will have newer firmware than the currently available units on the market? If not why have such a delay selling them on your own site vs the other etailers? While I won't be placing a pre-order it will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the units shipping December 15th vs those already for sale.

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #124 of 2,070
I find it interesting that although the R3 Pro has been available for sale on other sites the hiby site is still taking pre-orders and won't ship any units until December 15th. They are also including 3 free gifts including a 32 GB microsd card, leather case and an additional pouch.

I am wondering if these pre-order units will have newer firmware than the currently available units on the market? If not why have such a delay selling them on your own site vs the other etailers? While I won't be placing a pre-order it will be interesting to see if there is any difference between the units shipping December 15th vs those already for sale.

I got the case free, and I already have the pouch and card. About the firmware it's a moot point because of OTA upgrade. You can get it as soon as it's available.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #125 of 2,070
I got the case free, and I already have the pouch and card. About the firmware it's a moot point because of OTA upgrade. You can get it as soon as it's available.

Fair enough, I just thought it odd that its for sale already but hiby is just taking pre-orders now. I don't use wifi at all right now so I would still need to download the firmware updates so the newer the firmware the better.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #128 of 2,070
the standby crashing is pretty bad. It only does it when standby is activated. But the now playing freezes and the unit has to be restarted and sometimes reset.
Concur on standby stability issues. I could not wake mine up sometimes from standby. Had to press/hold power button to reboot it. It's not like R3pro is in dire need of power tweaking, so I disabled standby. Hiby seems quite responsive with their firmware updates, so it should be on their todo list. IIRC, it's about par for the course with my experience as early adopter of Hidizs AP80.

Dec 10, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #129 of 2,070
Concur on standby stability issues. I could not wake mine up sometimes from standby. Had to press/hold power button to reboot it. It's not like R3pro is in dire need of power tweaking, so I disabled standby. Hiby seems quite responsive with their firmware updates, so it should be on their todo list. IIRC, it's about par for the course with my experience as early adopter of Hidizs AP80.

Yep I went through the teething pains of the ap80 also.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #130 of 2,070
Yeah, I used to design/build electronic hardware some years ago; so I have quite high tolerance towards early problems now that I am a consumer. Based on my own usage, I would say R3Pro is somewhere in early RC stage of maturity. Which, for me, is about 2 or 4 firmware updates away from nice stable device.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #131 of 2,070
No wifi, you off the grid? :wink:

Yeah I am hiding from Google, Facebook and Microsoft, I use a wired connection and a vpn whenever possible, I don't want the man getting all up in my business.:sunglasses: When you work in computer networking and security for 30+ years you tend to get very paranoid.:fearful:

But when it comes to DAP's since I don't stream I leave wifi disabled all the time to save battery life.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:21 AM Post #132 of 2,070
Yeah I am hiding from Google, Facebook and Microsoft, I use a wired connection and a vpn whenever possible, I don't want the man getting all up in my business.:sunglasses: When you work in computer networking and security for 30+ years you tend to get very paranoid.:fearful:

But when it comes to DAP's since I don't stream I leave wifi disabled all the time to save battery life.

I don't use any of that social media crap either. :wink: And yep the wifi drains battery. Although not too much on the r3p.

Dec 11, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #133 of 2,070
Sadly I've returned my r3p ( before return window closes) as the bluetooth even after the update is still spotty. I thought it was better and it was but it still studders quite a bit while moving.

So I've got my free pleather (nice) case for writing a review and have no use for it now. So some luckster can have it- just PM me and make sure you live in the continental US and I'll send it to you pro bono.

It is the yule/christmas holiday after all :wink:

Pics- probably the worst I've ever taken but the case is mint

20191211_081905.jpg
20191211_081911.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #134 of 2,070
Sadly I've returned my r3p ( before return window closes) as the bluetooth even after the update is still spotty. I thought it was better and it was but it still studders quite a bit while moving.

So I've got my free pleather (nice) case for writing a review and have no use for it now. So some luckster can have it- just PM me and make sure you live in the continental US and I'll send it to you pro bono.

It is the yule/christmas holiday after all :wink:

Pics- probably the worst I've ever taken but the case is mint

so you returned it ...was the sound quality not enough for you to keep it ...so you are sticking with the sony ?..

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #135 of 2,070
so you returned it ...was the sound quality not enough for you to keep it ...so you are sticking with the sony ?..

No the sound quality is very good, although I do think on some material the Sony sounds better, but the r3p sounds really good out of balanced.

It's mostly the wonky bluetooth and the ease of use of the Sony. Even though the battery life isn't as good . Basically I would have lost more returning or selling the Sony, than returning r3p to Amazon.

The Sony is a better overall player but it's a hundred bucks more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back