Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #109 of 2,070
The battery life on this thing is quite an eye-opener. Took a short nap while listening to tidal over wifi. Woke up (tidal still playing), and watched an hour episode of TV with R3Pro's bluetooth(SBC) audio. All that for about 10% battery use. It's impressive.

Dec 8, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #110 of 2,070
Yeah Goody the battery life is really good, I've been using tidal a lot and the internet radio stations and it sips power but has a pretty strong output.

The balanced out sounds really good, the UI is simple and you don't have android and tidal is based on the r3 ui, but it sounds great and everything works good and the battery life is very good. I haven't checked out the SE out yet.

My A105 still drops battery pretty fast. The UI is slicker and the build is a bit better but I'm using the pro much much more.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #111 of 2,070
Can't wait for mine to arrive, .... Friday! Anyone found any decent cases for it? Didn't seem to be many around when I checked Amazon / AliExpress.

Am I right in thinking the R3 case will fit it perfectly..?

Dec 9, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #112 of 2,070
Yeah Goody the battery life is really good, I've been using tidal a lot and the internet radio stations and it sips power but has a pretty strong output.

The balanced out sounds really good, the UI is simple and you don't have android and tidal is based on the r3 ui, but it sounds great and everything works good and the battery life is very good. I haven't checked out the SE out yet.

My A105 still drops battery pretty fast. The UI is slicker and the build is a bit better but I'm using the pro much much more.
ok the Sony is really annoying with the battery life how would you describe the sound of the R3 pro would you say it is bright sounding? I like the Sony sound so what is the difference here Thanks

Dec 9, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #114 of 2,070
ok the Sony is really annoying with the battery life how would you describe the sound of the R3 pro would you say it is bright sounding? I like the Sony sound so what is the difference here Thanks

Hmm, well I wouldn't call it bright sounding, it sounds 'fuller' than A105 and the tone to me sounds less digital. The a105 sounds more thinner and cymbals and stuff aren't as nuanced on the a105 as they are on r3p.

The a105 sounds really clear and good, but I think the r3p sounds more realistic in tone. Im using balanced out.

More weight, yes that's a good description- the r3p has a bit more weight in the overall presentation. Like snare strikes on the a105 sound sharp and with a lot of pop.

While on the r3p they seem to have a more fullness and sound more realistic like that fast tiny bit of reverb/decay from the strike is there to round out the sound. And they still have the sharp attack and pop, but with just a little bit extra- hard to explain.

Also you can alter the sound quite a bit with the mseb suite, move it to cool/bright , slide it towards crisp on note thickness and crisp on air and you've got a similar sound to A105.

Still fuller but a closer sound.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #115 of 2,070
Hmm, well I wouldn't call it bright sounding, it sounds 'fuller' than A105 and the tone to me sounds less digital. The a105 sounds more thinner and cymbals and stuff aren't as nuanced on the a105 as they are on r3p.

The a105 sounds really clear and good, but I think the r3p sounds more realistic in tone. Im using balanced out.

More weight, yes that's a good description- the r3p has a bit more weight in the overall presentation. Like snare strikes on the a105 sound sharp and with a lot of pop.

While on the r3p they seem to have a more fullness and sound more realistic like that fast tiny bit of reverb/decay from the strike is there to round out the sound. And they still have the sharp attack and pop, but with just a little bit extra- hard to explain.

Also you can alter the sound quite a bit with the mseb suite, move it to cool/bright , slide it towards crisp on note thickness and crisp on air and you've got a similar sound to A105.

Still fuller but a closer sound.
Excellent i will order one one to try

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #116 of 2,070
Excellent i will order one one to try

That's the best, it's hard to describe this stuff sometimes. Also upgrade right away if you're not on 1.1. Also be aware that if you're using bluetooth and have the volume up 100% - it will stay that way even after you plug your phones back in.
Well at least on balanced, hiby needs to remedy that (fricken can blow your eardrums out) Also I'm checking to see if there's a bug on 'standby' mode.

It also has low and high and low gain, even low is pretty powerful on bakanced out.

I'll report back about that.

The internet radio option is buried under playlists in the vanilla theme. I will post the link to snoopy112's radio.txt. file that has a bucket load of good stations. The file just goes on the root of your micro sd card.

And custom themes, you have to make a folder called theme on the root on your micros sd card and then put the theme file in it. Then you can choose it in the theme setting.

Here is the post with the themes tab, I only liked hexagon and moon myself. Hexagon is pretty cool.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...pro-on-sale-now.872288/page-400#post-15300999

And here is the post with the radio.txt file. Thanks to snoopy112.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...pro-on-sale-now.872288/page-405#post-15345395

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #117 of 2,070
That's the best, it's hard to describe this stuff sometimes. Also upgrade right away if you're not on 1.1. Also be aware that if you're using bluetooth and have the volume up 100% - it will stay that way even after you plug your phones back in.
Well at least on balanced, hiby needs to remedy that (fricken can blow your eardrums out) Also I'm checking to see if there's a bug on 'standby' mode.

It also has low and high and low gain, even low is pretty powerful on bakanced out.

I'll report back about that.

The internet radio option is buried under playlists in the vanilla theme.
Excellent thanks Abideef i might be selling my sony sadly ..two reasons battery life and power output ,what i might do is wait till the r3 pro arrives and compare both ....Actually i still have my R3 i use as a transport to my chord mojo...i might compare too

Dec 9, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #118 of 2,070
Excellent thanks Abideef i might be selling my sony sadly ..two reasons battery life and power output ,what i might do is wait till the r3 pro arrives and compare both ....Actually i still have my R3 i use as a transport to my chord mojo...i might compare too

That would be cool if you could compare the r3 and r3p. From memory I say the sound stage is bigger and it's more towards neutral and tightened up/more dynamic than vanilla r3. I might be selling mine or returning it also, great unit but the battery life is weak.

Oh didn't know you had r3, you probably all ready know about custom themes and the internet radio :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #119 of 2,070
On the r3 pro they're on there already. They're versions that work only with the hiby interface.

Do you mean I can install Google play and stream from R3 Pro .

Also thanks for the radio Hidden menu. I am streaming from Linn jazz radio and its pure joy (sounds very good for radio).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back