Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jan 21, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #1,232 of 2,094
Thanks. I guess maybe I should stop using that adapter! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Sounds like it worked (i.e. made music) but at best it was converting back to single-ended some how?

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #1,233 of 2,094
Sounds like it worked (i.e. made music) but at best it was converting back to single-ended some how?

The concept of balanced versus single-ended refers to the amplification circuit that's being activated. It isn't an issue of "balanced signals" needing to be somehow converted in order to pass through a "single-ended wire" - the problem arises because the internal sockets on the output end (the DAP) don't correspond to the terminals on the receiving end (the single-ended plug). This creates a short circuit. Creating a short in the amplification circuit may not necessarily lead to a loss of sound output if the sections required to make the sound aren't affected but isn't a good idea for the longevity of the equipment, generally speaking.

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #1,234 of 2,094
Adapter won't work, as I showed in previous post you have different signals. You can convert balanced to single-ended (balanced cable to single ended plug) by adapter, but not the other direction.
It definitely works, and it sounds good too.

Just not good for the amplifier, and could cause damage to the R3. So my bad, not a good idea to use. Best to get a 2.5mm TRRS balanced cable

Jan 21, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #1,235 of 2,094
The concept of balanced versus single-ended refers to the amplification circuit that's being activated. It isn't an issue of "balanced signals" needing to be somehow converted in order to pass through a "single-ended wire" - the problem arises because the internal sockets on the output end (the DAP) don't correspond to the terminals on the receiving end (the single-ended plug). This creates a short circuit. Creating a short in the amplification circuit may not necessarily lead to a loss of sound output if the sections required to make the sound aren't affected but isn't a good idea for the longevity of the equipment, generally speaking.

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking you can't get 4 wires of signal through 3 wires of connection without tying something together. Didn't think about how the amp might respond.

Jan 27, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #1,236 of 2,094
Is there a way to adjust the organization subcategories?

When I go to genre, it simply lists all the albums alphabetically in that genre. I would prefer to list genre/artist/album, but I don’t see any way to do that.

Jan 27, 2021 at 8:32 AM Post #1,237 of 2,094
Hi,
Apologies if this has been asked and answered numerous times, I have searched the thread for "transport" but still haven't quite found the info I need.

Question 1:
I'm looking for a good transport to combine with a Chord Mojo, this seems to works just fine both via USB and Coax.
What I haven't quite figured out is if I also can transmit from my iphone via Bluetooth while the R3 PRO is connected to the Mojo? Does it use AAC as protocol?

Question 2:
Does the R3 PRO support Airplay (and in that case, as a transport)?

Jan 27, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #1,238 of 2,094
Question 1:
I'm looking for a good transport to combine with a Chord Mojo, this seems to works just fine both via USB and Coax.
What I haven't quite figured out is if I also can transmit from my iphone via Bluetooth while the R3 PRO is connected to the Mojo? Does it use AAC as protocol?

Question 2:
Does the R3 PRO support Airplay (and in that case, as a transport)?

The answer to question 2 is “yes.”

Regarding question 1, why wouldn’t you just use AirPlay to send content from your iPhone to the R3Pro? If your phone and R3 are not connected to WiFi, you would enable the personal hotspot on your iPhone and connect the R3 to it. This would give you AirPlay outside of a WiFi network (at 16 / 44.1 sample rate) vs. using Bluetooth.

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #1,239 of 2,094
A different question; what size and brand of micro SD card are you using?

Ask b/c I recently got one of these as a Christmas gift and it's been giving me a lot of 'file not found' errors on a brand new Samsung EVO micro SD card. Currently trying out another card, factory reset, etc and 'working' with Hiby to figure out if this is a unit issue or SD card.

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,241 of 2,094
why wouldn’t you just use AirPlay to send content from your iPhone to the R3Pro?
Well, to be honest, I can't say I thought about it that way. Thank you for the suggestion!
How does this handle an app like Youtube where I want to display the video on the iPhone but stream the sound to the R3?
Would there be any other concerns? Battery-wise, which is more efficient (WiFi vs BT)?

The reason I'm wondering is simply because when researching the most suitable DAP/Transport for my Mojo, I noticed that some Fiio-units didn't support BT-recieve to external DAC.

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,242 of 2,094
I have 200 GB Sandisk microSD and no problems with files.
Are these files visible by other devices?
Yes, I was able to switch that card into my S20+ phone and they read no problem. To be honest they worked for a few days in my R3, then started saying file not found (even after power cycling and re-starting). The issue then went away and I was able to listen to music but then it popped back up. Currently trying a smaller card / type to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #1,243 of 2,094
Well, to be honest, I can't say I thought about it that way. Thank you for the suggestion!
How does this handle an app like Youtube where I want to display the video on the iPhone but stream the sound to the R3?
Would there be any other concerns? Battery-wise, which is more efficient (WiFi vs BT)?

The reason I'm wondering is simply because when researching the most suitable DAP/Transport for my Mojo, I noticed that some Fiio-units didn't support BT-recieve to external DAC.

I have both the R3Pro Saber and a Mojo. But I have never used the R3 as a transport to the Mojo, as I do not have a USB C > Micro USB (or USB C > digital coaxial or optical) cable to try it. I also have a Poly so I would have no need to do this.

What I can tell you is the R3 works well as an AirPlay receiver. As far as YouTube goes, there would be a slight difference in latency/syncing depending upon whether both your iPhone and R3 were connected to the same WiFi network, or whether you were not on WiFi and streaming YouTube over cellular and onto the R3 via the personal hotspot method I described above. There is a slight lag when both devices are not connected to the same WiFi network, but it is acceptable.

Quite honestly the best transport for your Mojo (if that's what you're looking for) is Poly. I get it that it's more expensive, but in my experience the Poly/Mojo combination works well. Sure there is all kinds of horror stories online about issues with Poly, but most of that is from when Poly was first introduced and when the "Gofigure" app used to run it first came out. Now a few years down the road with several firmware and app updates behind it the Mojo/Poly combo (at least in my experience) works and more importantly sounds just fine.

Would the R3Pro be a good conduit to send wireless content from an iPhone (via AirPlay or Bluetooth) to a Chord Mojo (via it's USB DAC output feature)? You'll probably have to spend $200 bucks to know for sure, but if you buy it through Amazon you could always return it if it doesn't do all that you want it to.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,244 of 2,094
but in my experience the Poly/Mojo combination works well
Well, you mention my two biggest concerns with the poly, the price and the controversy surrounding it.
I’m not surprised that they have ironed out the early issues it had but the price still puts it in a very complicated bracket for me.
I’m more inclined to take a chance with the R3 for now and perhaps re-evaluate if needed later.
Thank you for taking the time to help.

Feb 1, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,245 of 2,094
Anyone here using the R3ProS to connect their LDAC headphones to a Windows PC? After some fiddling I am using a USB card with S/PDIF out into a Fiio BTA30. While this works quite nicely and stable, I wonder whether the Hiby R3pro could achieve this in a single device?

By reading through the search results for Bluetooth on this thread there seem to be stability problems?

Cheers

Thomas

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back