Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Jun 11, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #663 of 2,070
You will not be disappointed with a BTR5 over balanced and should have plenty of power. Its fine over 3.5mm but noticeable improvement over 2.5mm balanced. Best audio you will get for £89 or less if you get from AMP3 when they have stock (£80.99 with this code AMP3EXCL10)

Bonus is its excellent over LDAC BT and even slightly better as a wired DAC too.

Actually, just re-reading, do you already have the BTR5? If so job done unless you want specific sound signature of a device or want an all-in-one device to not use your phone.
Have you ever compared LDAC from BTR5 to LDAC from R3p? Should be just the same, right?

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #664 of 2,070
Have you ever compared LDAC from BTR5 to LDAC from R3p? Should be just the same, right?
No, not used for that purpose if you mean using the R3Pro as a BT receiver. Will get round to it at some point.

It won't be the same as the two devices have different DAC's and tuning.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #666 of 2,070
R3Pro as a BT transmitter. Transmitting via BT doesn't involve any D/A conversation, so in principle there should be no difference.
??

BTR5 is a BT DAC/AMP that you send music to, not the other way.

I think the R3Pro can transmit or recieve so you can use like BTR5 to send music to while listening to your earphones, or send the audio out to some BT headphones.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #668 of 2,070
So, just tried the Hiby BT reciever mode.

Does this create a link via LDAC then send audio from smartphone to Hiby at AAC 44.1KHz 16-bit no matter what format track is in?

Anyway, doesn't sound as good as BTR5 over LDAC but good enough.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #670 of 2,070
??

BTR5 is a BT DAC/AMP that you send music to, not the other way.

I think the R3Pro can transmit or recieve so you can use like BTR5 to send music to while listening to your earphones, or send the audio out to some BT headphones.

You can send and receive, when receiving you're getting the full benefit of the r3p's dac and amp section like the btr5 so they probably will sound different.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #671 of 2,070
So, just tried the Hiby BT reciever mode.

Does this create a link via LDAC then send audio from smartphone to Hiby at AAC 44.1KHz 16-bit no matter what format track is in?

Anyway, doesn't sound as good as BTR5 over LDAC but good enough.

Should be ldac AFAIK. Unless it's using hiby link. Should have the dac screen and ldac. Shouldn't be aac.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #672 of 2,070
No, i am a structural engineer ! Bought the R3ProS on day 1.

Best of all, I only paid the 20 CAD$ of duty. DHL forgot to charge me taxes !

Still waiting for the SDCard to show up today.

I only tested the R3ProS in DAC mode from USB connection to computer so far.

The source were 24 bit Flacs of
- Low Roar - Ross (2019) and
- Ben Frost - Dark - Cycle 1
- Max Richter - The Leftover

I am not an audiophile in a sense i discovered this world only 1 week ago when my ipod died so it is difficult to describe it with all the signature wording, warm, analytical, etc... but if i had to describe my first reaction is : Sound good but it misses bass in my taste. Some Reviews seem to indicate that DAC mode sound different from source from SD Card.

Will update when SDCard arrive !

Wow you really lucked out, definitely not my experience dealing with DHL on imported shipments

Jun 12, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #674 of 2,070
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #675 of 2,070
Ordered Saber June 1. Arrived Thursday. Just now breaking it in. Listening to CA Comets. Sound way more alive and dynamic than my R3. Have not figured how to get Tidal on it. Before with the R3, it was great portable form factor. SQ was OK.
I ordered on HiBy store and went for free shipping. When I got it, it had a CA return address and a free HiBy leather case. Thanks Hiby. Looking for the R8.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back