Hiby R3 Pro Portable Bluetooth DAP
Aug 8, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #2,026 of 2,070
I've sent my 3rd unit of the 2022 version back to amazon and got a full refund. It's developed the same issue as my first unit, it's stuck in balanced mode.
Lasted about 6ish months, my first unit only lasted a month, and despite being super light handed with the balanced connection it happened again.
I was already tolerating occasional freezing of the screen and once in awhile random reboots.

I think hiby have cramned to many features into this player than the chipset can really handle and 2.5mm ports are just not durable enough for portable use.

Aug 18, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #2,030 of 2,070
Looking at the current high level specifications at the link reported by Lentloss, it does look just an upgrade and not exaclty a new version...at least from my perspective. Better battery life and higher output power don't make me feel so excited. If I'm not wrong it has the same DACs of R3 Pro Saber 2022 and there are no information about the chipset; it would be great if aptX HD and/or aptX Adaptive will be supported.

In the meanwhile I'm still struggling with the issue I have reported in my previous post...

The floor is open for comments! :relieved:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,031 of 2,070
Whether the R3-II upgrade is significant depends very much on what one values… TWS and (good) BT headphones have changed quite a bit my take on DAPs and I tend to value the features: WiFi streaming options, BT, digital transport mode, etc.. Local storage & playback is fine on pretty much every DAP by now.
My most recent purchases were the Shanling M0 Pro, R2-II (also have the R2-OG), R3 Pro Saber 2022 (that name…!!!), and Tempotec V6. The M0? Super cute, but too small, no WiFi, and this damned 4.4 adapter is never here when I need it! The V6? Great… but too big (for me)! The R3? Ticks most of the right check boxes... But I end up preferring the R2-II, mostly because of the UI: despite the smaller screen, I found it easier to use than the R3, and I also love that volume button!

So, with a new UI, similar to the R2-II, a 4.4mm output, a little more power, and a slightly larger battery… it is tempting! I’m Ok with the dual ES9219C DAC/HPA. I don’t care about dropping MQA. I just wish they upgraded the CPU (X2000 like the Shanling M1S?). I think some of the R2/R3 issues are just caused by cramming too many features into a CPU that is now too weak.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #2,032 of 2,070
Hi XTF1,

Your posts are always illuminating me! I was not aware of the TempoTec V6 you mentioned and it seems to be quite a good DAP out there. Very interesting...

About the other considerations you made, I definitely agree. Of course a new and more powerful chipset can really make the difference. So let's see if we will have any interesting surprise in that sense.

I take the occasion to ask you a couple of questions about "that name...!!!" DAP... :relaxed: and it would be great if you can provide some clarifications. In particular, in relation to the "Play settings":
  • How "DSD output mode" (mine is set to "PCM") and "DSD gain compensation" work? Please note that is use only 16/24 bit 44.1/48/96 kHz FLAC files.
  • How the "Maximum digital volume output" (ON/OFF) option differs from "Gain" (Low/High) one?
and concerning the "Wireless settings":
  • How should I interpret the "Bluetooth volume adjust" setting?
In particular I'm quite confused about all that options that increase the gain and/or volume I have reported above and how these work together for the best listening experience possible (i.e. which settings I should prioritize? On what do they act?).

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Have a great day,

Alex

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #2,034 of 2,070
Whether the R3-II upgrade is significant depends very much on what one values… TWS and (good) BT headphones have changed quite a bit my take on DAPs and I tend to value the features: WiFi streaming options, BT, digital transport mode, etc.. Local storage & playback is fine on pretty much every DAP by now.
My most recent purchases were the Shanling M0 Pro, R2-II (also have the R2-OG), R3 Pro Saber 2022 (that name…!!!), and Tempotec V6. The M0? Super cute, but too small, no WiFi, and this damned 4.4 adapter is never here when I need it! The V6? Great… but too big (for me)! The R3? Ticks most of the right check boxes... But I end up preferring the R2-II, mostly because of the UI: despite the smaller screen, I found it easier to use than the R3, and I also love that volume button!

So, with a new UI, similar to the R2-II, a 4.4mm output, a little more power, and a slightly larger battery… it is tempting! I’m Ok with the dual ES9219C DAC/HPA. I don’t care about dropping MQA. I just wish they upgraded the CPU (X2000 like the Shanling M1S?). I think some of the R2/R3 issues are just caused by cramming too many features into a CPU that is now too weak.

Interesting... It seems to have 2.4 GHz wifi only which might not be a good thing for BT connections. The previous updates have been so minimal that I'm afraid this may be disappointing. We'll just have to wait and see as further info becomes available. I still use my R3 Pro (original Cirrus) and was never tempted by the ESS versions.

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,035 of 2,070
Interesting... It seems to have 2.4 GHz wifi only which might not be a good thing for BT connections. The previous updates have been so minimal that I'm afraid this may be disappointing. We'll just have to wait and see as further info becomes available. I still use my R3 Pro (original Cirrus) and was never tempted by the ESS versions.
The 2.4GHz is for WiFi: the current R3 supports both 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi. It probably means a different WiFi/BT chip on the R3-II (same as R2-II?), so in that way it may impact BT, but otherwise it’s unrelated, unless I’m missing something :thinking:

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #2,037 of 2,070
The 2.4GHz is for WiFi: the current R3 supports both 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi. It probably means a different WiFi/BT chip on the R3-II (same as R2-II?), so in that way it may impact BT, but otherwise it’s unrelated, unless I’m missing something :thinking:

I was referring to the 2.4 GHz wifi frequency which is the same spectrum as bluetooth and can cause issues. 5 GHz wifi doesn't compete with bluetooth for bandwidth.

Aug 19, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #2,040 of 2,070
Hi XTF1,

Your posts are always illuminating me! I was not aware of the TempoTec V6 you mentioned and it seems to be quite a good DAP out there. Very interesting...

About the other considerations you made, I definitely agree. Of course a new and more powerful chipset can really make the difference. So let's see if we will have any interesting surprise in that sense.

I take the occasion to ask you a couple of questions about "that name...!!!" DAP... :relaxed: and it would be great if you can provide some clarifications. In particular, in relation to the "Play settings":
  • How "DSD output mode" (mine is set to "PCM") and "DSD gain compensation" work? Please note that is use only 16/24 bit 44.1/48/96 kHz FLAC files.
  • How the "Maximum digital volume output" (ON/OFF) option differs from "Gain" (Low/High) one?
and concerning the "Wireless settings":
  • How should I interpret the "Bluetooth volume adjust" setting?
In particular I'm quite confused about all that options that increase the gain and/or volume I have reported above and how these work together for the best listening experience possible (i.e. which settings I should prioritize? On what do they act?).

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Have a great day,

Alex

Hello,

In relation to my post above, I understood that my question on DSD doesn't make sense if I use non-DSD files such as FLAC ones. So, sorry for the rising this point.

It would be anyway interesting to have some suggestions on how i) "Maximum digital volume output", ii) "Gain", and iii) "Bluetooth volume adjust" settings should work, taking into account that I use my R3 as source coupled with earphones (i.e. very basic configuration). Of course, I know that the latter makes sense only with Bluetooth earphones...:smile: So,the first twos are quite the focus of my question.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back