HiBy R3 II--new and improved: physical volume knob, 4.4mm balanced out, increased power
Mar 3, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #151 of 164
Another idea would be to buy a Cayin RU6 dongle and use the R2 as a digital transport taking advantage of its MSEB feature on the Cayin R-2R dongle. I did that with the R3 Pro and the result is highly satisfactory except for the increased battery drain.
Is the dongle working in exclusive mode? Do MSEB and EQ work when the dongle is connected?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #152 of 164
Is the dongle working in exclusive mode? Do MSEB and EQ work when the dongle is connected?

It does work, according to my ears. There is no bit-perfect setting that I'm aware of in the version of HiByOS I'm using on the R3 Pro.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #153 of 164
It does work, according to my ears. There is no bit-perfect setting that I'm aware of in the version of HiByOS I'm using on the R3 Pro.
My understanding is that there is no exclusive or bit-perfect setting on HibyOS devices (R2, R3, etc.) because there is no need: no resampling going on, unlike “standard” Android. So, an HibyOS device is more alike: it works or it doesn’t, but if it does… it is bit-perfect!

Anybody has other information?

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #154 of 164
My understanding is that there is no exclusive or bit-perfect setting on HibyOS devices (R2, R3, etc.) because there is no need: no resampling going on, unlike “standard” Android. So, an HibyOS device is more alike: it works or it doesn’t, but if it does… it is bit-perfect!

Anybody has other information?

I agree. My Mojo 2 always indicates the correct matching bit-rate for the track.

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #156 of 164
One last question, do mseb and eq work on the r2 usb port when you stream from your smartphone via bluetooth?
No, unfortunately. Neither works for the R2-II or R3-II: MSEB and the EQ are tied to the “player” and are not available in BT or AirPlay receiver/renderer mode.

MSEB and EQ do work with DLNA: the DLNA renderer is kinda of a “player”, so you can navigate out to the music section and fiddle with MSEB and/or EQ while playing. But you also have to deal with the hassles of DLNA: a somewhat loose standard that for sure works, but rareley seamlessly in my experience. Oh, and it requires WiFi or phone hotspot.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #157 of 164
No, unfortunately. Neither works for the R2-II or R3-II: MSEB and the EQ are tied to the “player” and are not available in BT or AirPlay receiver/renderer mode.

MSEB and EQ do work with DLNA: the DLNA renderer is kinda of a “player”, so you can navigate out to the music section and fiddle with MSEB and/or EQ while playing. But you also have to deal with the hassles of DLNA: a somewhat loose standard that for sure works, but rareley seamlessly in my experience. Oh and it requires WiFior phone hotspot.

+1 for DLNA issues. The music just stops frequently, especially when changing tracks. I wish it could be improved to more fully support current standards.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #158 of 164
+1 for DLNA issues. The music just stops frequently, especially when changing tracks. I wish it could be improved to more fully support current standards.
I use mostly my R2-II as DLNA renderer with a Topping G5 connected through USB. It’s my “transportable” combo around the house. :ksc75smile:

As source, I use a house dedicated LMS server, which has various DLNA settings through its UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin. The most reliable configuration I found is to set transcoding to “FLAC” (or PCM) with the “Flow” option ticked. With that option, LMS sends a continuous audio stream to the R2, which addresses all the (common!) stops or early end cuts issues that are typical of DLNA. With that continuous stream, the R2 is really a “dumb” renderer, it does not even know when a track changes (except that you can see it with the track name and art cover). I control LMS from my laptop or (more often) my iPhone (iPeng app).

Although I don’t use DLNA that often on my R3-II, it works the same (same with Tempotec V3).

Mar 6, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #159 of 164
I use mostly my R2-II as DLNA renderer with a Topping G5 connected through USB. It’s my “transportable” combo around the house. :ksc75smile:

As source, I use a house dedicated LMS server, which has various DLNA settings through its UPnP/DLNA bridge plugin. The most reliable configuration I found is to set transcoding to “FLAC” (or PCM) with the “Flow” option ticked. With that option, LMS sends a continuous audio stream to the R2, which addresses all the (common!) stops or early end cuts issues that are typical of DLNA. With that continuous stream, the R2 is really a “dumb” renderer, it does not even know when a track changes (except that you can see it with the track name and art cover). I control LMS from my laptop or (more often) my iPhone (iPeng app).

Although I don’t use DLNA that often on my R3-II, it works the same (same with Tempotec V3).

Any chance you could share your configuration for the bridge plugin? Just checking "Flow" and selecting FLAC transcode didn't work for me and there are a lot of options.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 8:17 AM Post #160 of 164
Any chance you could share your configuration for the bridge plugin? Just checking "Flow" and selecting FLAC transcode didn't work for me and there are a lot of options.
Here are screenshots of my current config for the R3-II. I had the track info & album art working at some point, but I don't remember what settings I used (I don't really care, as I control it from my laptop/iPhone). It still cuts the last few seconds at the end of the playlist.

Also, it is still touchy DLNA... On the R3-II play screen, you may want to limit the interactions to pause/play, nothing else! :ksc75smile:
If it crashes (and it does): 1/ DLNA off-on, 2/ DLNA off, WiFi off, WiFi on, DLNA on, or 3/ reboot the damn thing (the R3...)
LMS DLNA.jpg

LMS R3-II.jpg

Attachments

• LMS R3-II.jpg
    LMS R3-II.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 0
  • LMS R3-II.jpg
    LMS R3-II.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #161 of 164
Here are screenshots of my current config for the R3-II. I had the track info & album art working at some point, but I don't remember what settings I used (I don't really care, as I control it from my laptop/iPhone). It still cuts the last few seconds at the end of the playlist.

Also, it is still touchy DLNA... On the R3-II play screen, you may want to limit the interactions to pause/play, nothing else! :ksc75smile:
If it crashes (and it does): 1/ DLNA off-on, 2/ DLNA off, WiFi off, WiFi on, DLNA on, or 3/ reboot the damn thing (the R3...)
LMS DLNA.jpg

LMS R3-II.jpg

Thank you! HTTP Mode seems to be the key difference.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #162 of 164
Brother Boggs,
I ordered. One of these today. Has the connection to Tidal been fixed yet for normal use?

Apr 11, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #164 of 164
Sorry wrong Thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back