HiBy R2 - HiBy's entry-level HiFi digital audio player
Dec 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #317 of 872
The UI (not responsiveness) is stopping me from pulling the trigger. To start with, browsing a list of items on a screen with width>height is very painful. There's a reason the old ipod app defaults to album cover slider when the device is horizontal. To make it worse, Hiby puts the navigation bar on the top, as opposed to on the side, further reducing the real estate available to display a list of items. To make it even worse, vertical text margin is way too big compared to the text size. It is already frustrating enough to be only able to see 3 songs per screen, and now even those 3 songs are tinyyy.

Just bad taste and bad design.
@HiByMusic does hiby have any plan to improve the UI? The fact that the R2 can only display 3 songs per screen with a 480x360 display is ridiculous, when my Fiio M5 can display 4 songs per screen with a 240x240 display at a larger font size.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #318 of 872
So my Hiby R2 arrived early today. I'm currently using it with the FD1 amp/dac, and they sound really really good. Not gonna go as far as say they match the Hiby R5, because even with the FD1, i think the R5 digs deeper with wider stage and detail retrieval, but for the $130 i paid for both units combined, it's less than half the cost of my R5, and come very close. This is my travel/on the go/workout DAP, since I don't like bringing my R5 outside for obvious reasons. For $130, it's pretty much on par and maybe a tad better than my Sony A45 and the Cowon J. It's as musical as the Sony, and warmer than the Cowon. It's tiny as heck, and will fit easily and snugly in my jacket or pants pockets. It's got MSEB, so i just set the parameters to what i have on my R5, and off i go. A7 sound amazing as expected on these. Gonna try them out with others in my collection. If you haven't already ordered this fantastic unit, i'd urge you too at $89.00.

IMG_4443.jpgIMG_4444.jpgIMG_4445.jpgIMG_4446.jpgIMG_4447.jpgIMG_4448.jpg

I See a Deep Purple album, i hit like, lols. Congrats!

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #319 of 872
I See a Deep Purple album, i hit like, lols. Congrats!

Thanks. I love Deep Purple, and the R2 is a nifty little DAP, especially with the latest firmware update. The UI is much smoother and reactive.

Dec 13, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #322 of 872
Dec 13, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #324 of 872
Me too. Search brings up nothing.

I can search for stuff, but get a playback error when i try to play it.

Dec 13, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #325 of 872

Some SRV with the Dethonray Honey H1, Tin P1 and R2 as transport 😁👌
Awesome. How did you get the album art on the whole screen? Also where can i get the new firmware update?

Dec 13, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #326 of 872
Awesome. How did you get the album art on the whole screen? Also where can i get the new firmware update?

The new firmware was available via OTA update in the Settings menu.

Full screen art is shown when youre in the lock screen.

Dec 13, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #327 of 872
I can search for stuff, but get a playback error when i try to play it.
Interesting ... that's what I expected to find when I saw your post. For me, though, just no results at all. Your experience, though, reminds me of what I get on my R3 Pro. On that device, I originally was logged in to Tidal, then I changed to Qobuz. Now when I'm using Qobuz, search comes back with Tidal results. I don't notice or can't tell, click on the song, and it gives an error because I no longer have an active Tidal account. If I change the device back to using Tidal, log out, then go back to using Qobuz, search works. But after some time goes by, the same cycle repeats. I've let HiBy know about this. Not sure if this is what's happening to you.

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #328 of 872
Interesting ... that's what I expected to find when I saw your post. For me, though, just no results at all. Your experience, though, reminds me of what I get on my R3 Pro. On that device, I originally was logged in to Tidal, then I changed to Qobuz. Now when I'm using Qobuz, search comes back with Tidal results. I don't notice or can't tell, click on the song, and it gives an error because I no longer have an active Tidal account. If I change the device back to using Tidal, log out, then go back to using Qobuz, search works. But after some time goes by, the same cycle repeats. I've let HiBy know about this. Not sure if this is what's happening to you.

Yea funny enough, the error messages say Tidal on them with a QR code.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #329 of 872
The new firmware was available via OTA update in the Settings menu.

Full screen art is shown when youre in the lock screen.
Thanks updating now. It takes a while so be patient. I wish the album art was bigger but the player itself is amazing for the price we all paid. I remember someone did it for my Cowon. Hopefully somebody will create a firmware with bigger album art. 💜👏😂 Portable DAP of the year!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back