Hiby FC3 Portable DAC&AMP, MQA Compatible
Jun 14, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #166 of 220
It would... play with resampling? The literature you quoted doesn't mention Apple Music doing anything to bypass Android system sample rate conversion.

Not that this is as harmful as people think it is... (this coming from us who market technologies to bypass it)
It plays and the blue led is li, but being lossless higher bit rate I expected green. Also changing the file type while playing you can hear a change in the song. I think the issue is the file format. I downloaded a song and then seached the phone with the Hiby music app and it didn’t find it. Also am going to try using this with my iPad when I get the cable. Really hope it works.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #167 of 220
When does it flicker to blue, would that be right at the beginning of a track or right after a track seek by any chance?
On the android it’s solid blue all the time music plays. Good news though, it works properly with Apple Music on iPad.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #168 of 220
I have read some people having their FC3 go into idle mode and cause a delay even between tracks on Windows. Is that really a thing or a rare issue? If so that is extremely annoying and nonsensical.

Jul 6, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #169 of 220
I have read some people having their FC3 go into idle mode and cause a delay even between tracks on Windows. Is that really a thing or a rare issue? If so that is extremely annoying and nonsensical.
It is not a rare issue, it is on all devices the manufacturer said to me. It depends also on the player used, some players keep the FC3 "alive" even if it makes no sound, or for example with VLC when a music is "pause" the FC3 won't idle.

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #170 of 220
It is not a rare issue, it is on all devices the manufacturer said to me. It depends also on the player used, some players keep the FC3 "alive" even if it makes no sound, or for example with VLC when a music is "pause" the FC3 won't idle.

But even in the split second between tracks? Like on spotify?

Jul 6, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #172 of 220
So they can't even add a proper time out limit for the power saving? What is it with badly designed chinese DACs. Always like they have no idea what they're doing and entirely rely on the Sabre chips they use with no engineering of their own. Just take a Sabre and put it in a hunk of aluminum and call it a day. My SMSL Idea's left channel literally shorted and caused my earphone to overheat, then it died shortly afterward. And people still buy from these amateur companies and seem to completely ignore they do literally nothing other than put Sabre chips in aluminum casings with no proper implementation or engineering. Literally some of the dumbest, ZERO testing scamming companies I have ever seen and people act like nothing is wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #173 of 220
So they can't even add a proper time out limit for the power saving?
There is one but somehow with certain music players the timer is bypassed. On youtube with autoplay the red doesn't flash beetween songs, no click noise unless the music stop playing for few seconds.

What is it with badly designed chinese DACs. Always like they have no idea what they're doing and entirely rely on the Sabre chips they use with no engineering of their own. Just take a Sabre and put it in a hunk of aluminum and call it a day. My SMSL Idea's left channel literally shorted and caused my earphone to overheat, then it died shortly afterward. And people still buy from these amateur companies and seem to completely ignore they do literally nothing other than put Sabre chips in aluminum casings with no proper implementation or engineering. Literally some of the dumbest, ZERO testing scamming companies I have ever seen and people act like nothing is wrong.
blame it on the reviewers^^

honestly at start i was disapointed with this idle mod, but it is not soooo annoying (maybe with sensitive iem) and you can counter it if you really want and i think it's better when you don't use FC3

the main problem of this dongle is the noise floor. Max iem sensitivity is 100-105 db/mw before you hear the background noise i think.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #174 of 220
At what headphone sensitivity (or impedance) is the out of idle sound audible, and does it ever become intrusive? Is there always a startup delay along with the sound or can one happen without the other depending on certain conditions?

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #175 of 220
At what headphone sensitivity (or impedance) is the out of idle sound audible, and does it ever become intrusive?
the FC3 won't have enough power to drive so low sensitive headphone

Is there always a startup delay along with the sound or can one happen without the other depending on certain conditions?
the two are simultaneous as far i can tell
more info in ES9219 Datasheet

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #176 of 220
I found a video with a recording of the idle click sound:
So it isn't annoyingly loud like it can be on the worst offenders. I am still surprised it can trigger between tracks depending on the application being used, just bad design.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #178 of 220
I got the FC3 and when it connects it cycles through the three LED colors then turns off. Happens on multiple cables, both computers and my phone. Installed driver on one of the computers, still isn't recognized. I will definitely come back and edit in my thoughts on the FC3 assuming the replacement actually works.

Edit: So it isn't even detected by the computer unless you plug in a headphone jack! now I can do my comparison.

Headphones: HiFiMan RE400
DACs being compared: EarMen Eagle, HiBy FC3, AudioEngineD3

My first impressions of the Eagle when compared to the AudioEngine D3 is that the Eagle has better macro dynamics but worse micro dynamics and instrument separation. Likely part of the reason for this audible difference is the Audioengine D3's 10 ohm output impedance, which when paired with the RE400's impedance curve causes the 2khz and 10-20KHz regions to increase in volume comparatively to the rest of the frequency range. The amp chosen gives the Eagle really good macro dynamics and a solid mid-range. It isn't really missing treble detail per se, but is just slightly warmer than the other two DACs.

The Audioengine D3 is the brightest of the bunch. The FC3 is the punchiest in the sub bass but has an upper treble forwardness closer to the D3. The Eagle is more mid-range and upper bass forward and as a result has a slightly less forward upper treble than the FC3 while still being punchier in the bass than the D3.

Overall, all three DACs are extremely clean sounding with no audible noise floor and amazing sound stage and dynamics. If you already own a D3, I wouldn't urge an upgrade to the FC3 or Eagle unless you want something smaller or that doesn't get as hot to the touch as the D3 does.

For use with my RE400 I actually prefer the D3 the most due to how the output impedance colors the sound, but at the same time the FC3 and Eagle do sound slightly cleaner and natural than the D3. Between the FC3 and Eagle, both sort of do their own thing, but the main difference is that the FC3 is puts slightly more emphasis on sub bass and treble, while the Eagle is comparatively more lower mid-range and upper-bass focused. These differences aren't big though and pointing them out is difficult even when comparing side by side.

The D3, due to its output impedance, is just overall brighter, but would probably sound more like the others when matched with an 80+ ohm impedance headphone like an HD 600. It is still an amazing performer after nearly ten years on the market and I would never give mine up! I will be looking for a custom 10 ohm adapter to pair with one of the other DACs to see if it gives me the same result.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #179 of 220
Hello, I wanna post my recent experiences with HiBy FC3 DAC. I have only tested it with PC - was my intention to use it that way.

Also I replaced stock usb cable with cheap UGreen USB A to C one (https://aliexpress.ru/item/32678087...691&spm=a2g2w.orderdetails.0.0.3bcc4aa6rZhUxG). Stock cable is too short to use it with PC and its rather stiff.

I won't say anything about the sound because a lot a things were said already by the others.

Microphone on headset works as intended and is really clear, but lacks volume compared to other solutions like cheap gaming dacs. It has no boost option in software. I was only testing it with mic on a cable from my headphones PT 15 stock cable. Maybe it will be sufficient with some boom mic close to your mouth tho or some post processing.

About problems and solutions:

1) Clicking and poping sounds. Yes I had this issue and it was completely SOLVED by installing HiBy drivers on Win 10 to prevent power saving mode. Here is the guide:

- first download driver from official site, you can google FC3 drivers and then in search bar type FC3, or use this link (https://drive.google.com/file/d/15rF7Aukb2mzX6cBn-_BicrcNx3FmZPP5/view?usp=sharing)

- go to C:\Program Files\HiBy\USB Audio Device Driver\W10_x64 or your installation path on find HiByUsbAudioCpl.xml file. Remove read only in the properties and copy it to your desktop. Open it with any program u like and find this line:
<PageOptions>
<!-- Supported values for this page: Hidden (default), Visible -->
<Visibility>Visible</Visibility>
</PageOptions>

It should say visible. Save the file and replace the original one with this new one. It may prevent you from doing that try saving it with different name elsewhere then changing manually to original name, deleting original file and pasting modified one instead. This unlocks power saving option in driver panel. I actually put Visible on all options to see what they are hiding, but there was nothing usefull there.

- Then click hiby icon in tray and open the control panel. Now you should see options tab - put it in Always On. You are done.

Maybe there is a way for mobile like that with dev options for usb connection to turn off power saving.

2) My unit sometimes after few PC reboots won't turn on. Replugging DAC solves issue, but it is kinda annoying.
While I was using Win 10 auto drivers it would not show any indicator ligth at all, Windows won't see it.
Btw my headphones are always plugged in, replugging them doesn't make a difference.
While using HiBy USB driver same thing happends - but instead indicator light is on in white color and DAC is warm to the touch as if it was working normally. Still won't show up in the system.
Also I turn off the powerstrip which powers my PC before going to bed. Using USB 3.0 port on motherboard IO.

Any thoughts guys?

- I have setup all my USB controllers power management to off in device manager for now. I will monitor the situation.
- I have contacted the manufacturer about this.

If some of this info helps you make sure to share it!

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #180 of 220
@OniChap, thanks for the tips!

I noticed that the dongle enters in red mode (power saving) between tracks if they have different sample rate, so I set my Linux audio player (Audacious) to always sample rate at 44100 Hz.

Also, on Linux we need to change /etc/pulse/default.pa and comment the line: load-module module-suspend-on-idle. By doing that the dongle is always in blue mode, regardless if any player is open. :)

On Windows the dongle usually enters in power saving mode if it's connected to a laptop -- I haven't tried OniChap's tips though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back