Hi my name is David and I have an addiction problem.
Jul 21, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #16 of 27
The only one who can control the addiction is yourself. If you can afford the items with majorly disrupting your live go ahead, but if it goes too far then you have to look a good look at it for yourself.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 27
IMO the best way to cure an addiction is to get bored with it and move on.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 27

At one point I had 22 pairs of speakers....only 12 pairs now...I'm on the road to recovery!
wink.gif
I don't want to count how many headphones I have...

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:

At one point I had 22 pairs of speakers....only 12 pairs now...I'm on the road to recovery!
wink.gif
I don't want to count how many headphones I have...

wow...w hat did your roomm look like? lol congrats on getting past the denial and starting the road to recovery. i hvae a feeling after i buy a home, ill venture down that addiction also.

Jul 26, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #22 of 27

Quote:
Well, if you need to unload any more, I'm just a stone's throw away. We Head-Fiers need to support one another! :wink:

Sure, anything to help another Head-fier!
wink.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #23 of 27
You know you have a problem when you continually want to buy headphones of lesser quality because you don't have any money to buy something better than ur current setup. ie. HD650 . I have no need for it but I just want one again.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #24 of 27
I'll echo the advice from jilgiljongiljing and boomana - and they posted in the right order. But if that doesn't help, then try the following: 

1. Get out more. Although this may end up costing more than your addiction.

2. Get laid. Which doesn't necessarily cost more, but could lead to...

3. Get married and have kids. This will cure you, as you will spend all your time and money on things you never knew had even existed.

Although there's always an exception to any rule, I can tell the year each of my friends got their first kids by what hi-fi they have (i.e.frozen in time). Only when the kids leave home does dad seriously start thinking about spending all his money on hi-fi again - or an inappropriately fast car.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #25 of 27

Quote:
I've bought a decent amount of gear, and at one time had way too many headphones, amps, sources, etc.  Much of that was the learning process and needing to own gear for awhile at home before I could get of sense of its qualities as well as a sense what I liked and what I felt was lacking.  At some point about a year ago, I hit the "good enough" level, and decided on a main home rig, an office rig, a computer rig, and a portable rig, and sold the rest.  I have one thing on order, and I may pick up something down the line if it really interests me, but once I found the sound I was looking for, the desire to buy and try just disappeared. 

That is very nicely put.

I feel it is all an experiment until you have heard what suits you.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #26 of 27
You'll eventually find one that you like. I no longer have the urge to buy headphones or amps with my current setup.

OTOH, I've been cycling through several IEMs now. I'm going to order the RE0s today, hopefully they'll be the ones I want to stick with.

Aug 8, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #27 of 27
This thread just mocks others with serious & real addictions.. My father's alcohol addiction destroyed my family.. But yeah.. Being 'addicted' to amps is on a whole other level.. Sorry.. Just pushed the wrong button with me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back