Hi! I'm new to this forum and I have some questions regarding how to improve sound quality on my HD25-I IIs...
Dec 25, 2012 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lacucaracha1990

New Head-Fier
I've been using these pair with my samsung yp-rb which i bought around 3 years ago...(it uses the SoundAlive equalizer if you are curious) i was pretty satisfied with it until recently when I tried the Sennheisers Amperiors with the new I-Pod Touch models at the Apple store, and i was shocked to find the sound quality was vastly superior. (the Amperiors and HD25s are exactly the same sound-wise, correct me if I'm wrong?)

What was most noticeable was that when I was listening to a r&b/hip-hop song, my headphones were actually rumbling/vibrating from the 808/sub-bass, I had no idea my headphones could even reproduce that kind of bass lol. (just like how you would hear from a Beats by Dr.Dre headphones, but mids and highs are so much better on HD25s) After this I was pretty certain my mp3 player needed an upgrade. :p

I mainly listen to a lot of hip-hop and dubstep but also a lot old rock tunes and ballads, so I like having some punchy and strong bass but having great clarity in the mids and highs are just as important for me...does anyone have any suggestions? A couple of months ago I saw the Snazzylabs review of the Rocoo P player and I've had my eyes on it ever since, but there's no way for me to test it, would it really make the improvements I want with my headphones? Or maybe I could get an external amp/dac to use with my samsung such as a Fiio? I'm fairly new to this audophile thing, so pleeaase give me some advice, thank you very much! :wink:

PS. I've noticed when I listen to music on my samsungs, kicks will sound very punchy/slammy when I equalize it but basslines will be audible but no power...if I bring the bass up, the basslines will sound full but then the kicks will lose that 'punch', I don't know if I'm making myself clear lol...would this problem be solved if I change/improve my mp3 player?

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 4
Have a look at the Cowon players, as an upgrade, take advantage of BBE and Mach3bass enhancements. Cowon C2 can be had for $110 on ebay. 50 hours for battery, sd expandable. Easily offer superior sound over your Samsung MP3 player, and arguably better than the ipods you demoed.

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 4
Are you the guy who does the headphone reviews on youtube by any chance?? :O

I've heard a lot about Cowon players and I've been considering them til recently when I came across some reviews about Hisound players such as Rocoo P which apparantely blow all the other players in the market including Cowon out of the water, or the Clip+ which apparantely sounds great for a measly 50>euros...right now I'm leaning towards Rocoo P or their new Nova product that should be coming out soon. Have you ever tried these players by any chance? Either way I'm pretty sure any of these players would be an upgrade to my Samsung right now but I'm trying to get the best best player possible for under 200 euros. :)

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 4
Are you the guy who does the headphone reviews on youtube by any chance?? :O

I've heard a lot about Cowon players and I've been considering them til recently when I came across some reviews about Hisound players such as Rocoo P which apparently blow all the other players in the market including Cowon out of the water, or the Clip+ which apparantely sounds great for a measly 50>euros...right now I'm leaning towards Rocoo P or their new Nova product that should be coming out soon. Have you ever tried these players by any chance? Either way I'm pretty sure any of these players would be an upgrade to my Samsung right now but I'm trying to get the best best player possible for under 200 euros. :)

You could try a Clip+ if you like, small price to pay, one just maybe enough especially if you install rockbox. I haven't heard a Rocco P though they seem decent, though I wouldn't go as far to say brilliant from what I read. They have major hiss problems with some headphones/IEM. Just remember they don't have any EQ system besides a few presets. like rock, jazz, etc etc, they're designed for audiophiles who prefer a flat sound, you would be locked out of any adjustments (I'm not sure on the EQ names) Without hearing one I cannot say whether it will compete with Cowon. Owning a Colorfly C3 myself I can say that player leaves the Cowons behind and C3 is only $100 on ebay.

I'm not the guy who does the reviews sorry.

We have a portable source gear section, head over there and check it out.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/15/portable-source-gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back