Hi I'm new and am looking for advice.
Nov 22, 2012 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

futbolostrich

New Head-Fier
Christmas is coming around the corner and I need some advice for a "starter" headphone. I currently have the sennheiser HD 202 but they don't cut it and I want an upgrade. Two headphones I've looked at are Grado sr80i and the Sony MDR7506. I mainly listen to Hard Rock, Jazz, Pop, rap, and electronic/dubstep. Of the two which would suit my needs and if neither work could you tell me a headphone at about $100 on amazon that would be better.

Thanks, Futbolostrich

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd avoid Grado's at all costs.

Go with the Sony's, and also check out the KRK's. I've been told they do good with the music you listen to...

http://www.amazon.com/KRK-KNS8400-Studio-Headphones/dp/B004ARUO2S/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353604120&sr=1-22&keywords=headphones

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the speedy reply. But why don't you like the Grado's. The sony seem nice. Also I saw the Audio Technica ATH M50 for $115 they have pretty good reviews. How about them.

To me, Grado's are very painful, both in sound and comfort, or the lack thereof. I had the sr80's and sr325is', and sold both just about as fast as I bought them. Even with the 1000 pads, they still were uncomfortable and painful to listen to. Very fatiguing more ways than one.

Yeah, the M50's are another good one to look at from what I've read.

Maybe look into some of those "big bass" series from Sony as well.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #5 of 7
out of my 
HD600
D2000
ES7
ES55
270playback
and my SR60

...the Grados are easily the most comfortable. I often forget I am wearing them , so I find the above statement bizarre 

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #7 of 7
and my SR60

...the Grados are easily the most comfortable. I often forget I am wearing them , so I find the above statement bizarre 

It's not quite bizarre. I'm not the only one who's complained about Grado's not being comfortable. You have the 60's which are light compared to say the 325's I had, so maybe they aren't all that bad. But when you have those heavy 325's sitting ON you ears, they start to hurt within 15 minutes or so.

Plus, the shrilly treble and thin, way too forward midrange just makes them unlistenable and very fatiguing in a short period of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back