Hi-Fi on the cheap
Apr 4, 2007 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Ace o' Spades

500+ Head-Fier
Every time I read the phrase "Sorry about your wallet" I have to think, it doesn't have to be so bad. My rig right now (iPod video+modded iPod mini dock+PIMETA+HD580) sounds amazing and didn't cost all that much at all in comparison to some of the nicer rigs out there. And really, the difference between my rig and much more expensive ones is probably a 10-20% improvement.

So my advice to the noobs who got the legendary Head-fi warning, it is possible to get a good rig for cheap.

Apr 4, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 49
Team budget-fi rules!

You can get amazing sound on the cheap and while it's not the best SQ you can achieve it's a very long way from crappy. My budget rig is freaking awesome.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every time I read the phrase "Sorry about your wallet" I have to think, it doesn't have to be so bad. My rig right now (iPod video+modded iPod mini dock+PIMETA+HD580) sounds amazing and didn't cost all that much at all in comparison to some of the nicer rigs out there. And really, the difference between my rig and much more expensive ones is probably a 10-20% improvement.

So my advice to the noobs who got the legendary Head-fi warning, it is possible to get a good rig for cheap.

Yeah, but come to the meet and hear some real gear. Then you'll cry and take out a second mortgage.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team budget-fi rules!

Quote:

Team BABYSTAX
Team VintageStax
Team K1000

haha that's priceless

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #7 of 49
Just until a few months ago I was using a ipod 3g 15 gig + CMOY + SR-125 I had for the past 3 years... Now I am where I am at... Still use the gear for studying away from home though.

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha that's priceless

Was looking at that and thinking too...

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace o' Spades /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry, but none of your equipment is hifi. You have a decent set up & if it sounds great to you thats fine..I question your 10%-20%.. Have you done any A/B's? I'm sure the Baby 0 with the blue hawaii will better your set up much more then 10%-20%. I'm sure it fits your argument not to buy hi end gear cause you already know the differences will be subtle. Leads me to believe you never heard hi end equipment

Apr 4, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 49
It's not so much that XXX costs $xxx.xx

it's that
A costs $100
B costs $200 and C costs $400 so you'll buy A, get curious, buy B, get curious buy C and get curious

which is why I'm slowly building a good high end rig piece by piece.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha that's priceless

Be fair guys...

Babystax = $130
VintageStax = $200
t-amp = $19
Rio Karma DAP = $300
Toshiba CDP = $60
Koss KSC-75 = $17

Yes my K1000 big rig is more costly but my budget rig is seriously cheap.
icon10.gif
cool.gif

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 49
AMP's DAC's etc can all be built at home at low cost, headphones however are expensive :p

Although I notice there has been a price cut in the uk for the HD-650's, when I bought mine the cheapest I could find were £200 and now I see many stores offering them for £185. New model about to come out?

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:29 AM Post #14 of 49
nm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back