hi-fi headphones and gaming
Sep 29, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ialwayslose

New Head-Fier
so recently, i posted on a lot of forums and i was told that the ATH-A700 / A900's would be the best possible headphone in terms of gaming. I have been using mine for about 2 days, the game sounds different, however there is nothing phenomenal regarding positioning, which is pretty much all that matters.

So i just wanted to say that next time someone comes and asks about a pair of gaming headphones, tell them to just save money and get a pair of icemats, which although the sound quality is poor, are still comfortable and great for gaming.

However, as i have only had these headphones for like 2 days, they might need some breaking in, although i do not believe that this will create a completely different positioning 'sensation.'

btw, these headphones are extremely comfortable and the difference is clear when listening to music.

(i have an x-fi xtreme gamer sound card)

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 29
Do you have Icemats to compare against?

Have you tried to fiddle around with CMSS Headphone setting, trying it on and off?

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 29
Double Post. Look Down.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 29
Leave the phones connected to a source playing pink noise or music for about 100 hours and then try them again. Headphones need to be burnt in before they sound their best.

Positioning may tighten up a little but I doubt it will be a night/day difference.

If you decide to get new headphones for gaming you should keep the A700's for music, they are supposed to be pretty decent.

An amp through your x-fi's line out could also help.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 29
The game would definitely sound better but I don't think he is after that. His main point was that positioning was the most important factor in the phones.

Quote:

however there is nothing phenomenal regarding positioning, which is pretty much all that matters.

Sep 29, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 29
you need to let them settle in a bit and get used to them. they sound way different. consider your source too. I use an X-Fi, then a dac, then a pre-amp then a speaker amp, THEN a SRD-7(Stax energizer) then finally my headspeakers the SR-LAMBDAS. You want OMG positioning? try stax.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 29
Truthfully there are no huge improvements in soundstage and imaging in games with the A900/700, etc... (and burn in won't change that) They are very overrated. The only headphone I've ever heard that actually had insane improvements with imaging and soundstage in gaming was the K1000.

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #10 of 29
the primary use for my computer is gaming and I've used several different headsets over the years, but Senn HD595's are far superior to siberias in every way (yes I have not only heard both, but owned both) I currently use Beyer DT770's even though I have not spent time with the ATH series I would contend that the 770's are better gaming cans.

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ialwayslose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so recently, i posted on a lot of forums and i was told that the ATH-A700 / A900's would be the best possible headphone in terms of gaming. I have been using mine for about 2 days, the game sounds different, however there is nothing phenomenal regarding positioning, which is pretty much all that matters.

So i just wanted to say that next time someone comes and asks about a pair of gaming headphones, tell them to just save money and get a pair of icemats, which although the sound quality is poor, are still comfortable and great for gaming.

However, as i have only had these headphones for like 2 days, they might need some breaking in, although i do not believe that this will create a completely different positioning 'sensation.'

btw, these headphones are extremely comfortable and the difference is clear when listening to music.

(i have an x-fi xtreme gamer sound card)

Some cans are great at positioning.. I never heard the 500/700/900 so I can't say if they are or not..

But it seems like you are buying the marketing line about gaming headphones being better then 'regular' headphones for gaming.. What kind of magic do the Icemates have that makes them truly better then 'regular cans for gaming? Besides having gaming on the packaging..

Sep 29, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 29
Tbh, when I tried playing bf2 with my $40 Koss r80 headphones after using my dt880s for months, it was like I went blind. There was no soundstage at all, so I couldn't tell if grenades were tossed in the front or behind me(unless I used tons of brainpower or until the nades exploded). Really, I've been called a wallhack many times since I got my DT770s then my dt880s. The difference is truly there...for me anyways=]

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #13 of 29
@ialwayslose :: what games are you playing btw? I'm actually looking into headphones for gaming too...would appreciate any input you can put in here.

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 29
HD595/HD650 have superb positioning.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD595/HD650 have superb positioning.

some how that is the exact oposite of what i have heard about the 595's i have heard that they do sound great to the left and right but not so much to the front and back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back