HFI-780 with Emmeline Tomahawk?
Mar 5, 2010 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

carnival

100+ Head-Fier
First post woo!

So I recently got a pair of HFI-780s to replace my RP-21s.. (Big switch!)
atsmile.gif

I've been looking to find a new portable amp as well, and I was wondering how much the 780s will benefit from a Tomahawk (which is what I had in mind).

Thanks!
smile_phones.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 23
Congrats on your new 'Sones, I own the T'Hawk and I feel that it will have no problems driving them but I feel it won't be able to drive them to their potential. The T'Hawk is a great amp for iems and they can drive my Grados but not till I picked up a dedicated desk top tube amp that I realized the potential of my full size cans. Good luck in your search.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on your new 'Sones, I own the T'Hawk and I feel that it will have no problems driving them but I feel it won't be able to drive them to their potential. The T'Hawk is a great amp for iems and they can drive my Grados but not till I picked up a dedicated desk top tube amp that I realized the potential of my full size cans. Good luck in your search.

Kind of a newb at bigger amps
redface.gif

Don't know much at all about them, and I've been meaning to

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 23
congrats! and welcome. hope your feet didnt get wet from the tsunami. i dont know much about ultrasones but yea, generally getting a desktop amp for fullsize will be much better. but tey are considered portable headphones from what i remember. so one of the more powerful portable amps should be able to handle it. but its $$$

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by debitsohn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congrats! and welcome. hope your feet didnt get wet from the tsunami. i dont know much about ultrasones but yea, generally getting a desktop amp for fullsize will be much better. but tey are considered portable headphones from what i remember. so one of the more powerful portable amps should be able to handle it. but its $$$

Haha, cheers, the tsunami was kind of a dud :p

I don't know how to shop for a full sized amp..
frown.gif
I'm gonna make a post about that later I suppose.

And I realize it'll be a little pricey, but I really want a good portable amp since I'm out and about a lot, and the 780s are fairly easy to drive (35 ohms)

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 23
well the top choices for portable amps are RSA p-51, Pico slim, TTVJ slim... well google ray samuels amplifier. check his amps other than the tomahawk. most of the high end ones are good. sorry this is just from what i read. i have the tomahawk and love it. but it is made for IEMS

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 23
If you want a portable thats a bit more powerful than a Tomahawk, try a Hornet.
I like amps with normal batteries that i can replace, like the Tomahawk and Hornet.

But really a home amp would drive them better.
I have a little Millet Hybrid which works nice for cheap.
Theres better of course, Just depends what you want to spend and if you dont mind tubes.
Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

Mar 5, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want a portable thats a bit more powerful than a Tomahawk, try a Hornet.
I like amps with normal batteries that i can replace, like the Tomahawk and Hornet.

But really a home amp would drive them better.
I have a little Millet Hybrid which works nice for cheap.
Theres better of course, Just depends what you want to spend and if you dont mind tubes.
Mini Millet DIY Tube Amplifier

I was looking at the Hornet as well, actually. My main question is whether or not it would be worth the investment. Would it be a big enough improvement in sound?

Also, the Millet looks neat but I don't have enough of the know-how for a DIY
frown.gif
I can only manage if someone assembles for me.

EDIT: I was also looking at the iBasso D2 as an option

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the Hornet as well, actually. My main question is whether or not it would be worth the investment. Would it be a big enough improvement in sound?

Also, the Millet looks neat but I don't have enough of the know-how for a DIY
frown.gif
I can only manage if someone assembles for me.

EDIT: I was also looking at the iBasso D2 as an option

That link isnt to a DIY site. Its for a fully built Millet for $180.
Its really a great little amp, and small.

As far as a Hornet or any amp being enough improvement in sound, thats up to you. I like collecting the things, so i have a bunch of portable amps. Im a gadget freek and i love them.
I think they make a nice sound difference depending on what you use it with.

Maybe you need to go to a meet and take a listen to some stuff?

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #11 of 23
Mar 8, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 23
For ultrasones, I'd also like to recommend the Graham Slee Voyager (big, but powerful and dryly warm which is great with Ultrasone's energy). I have used it with a variety of Ultrasones, including the ED9, 8, 650, 750, and DJ1Pro and each sound great with it - deep, textured bass.

Mar 8, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 23
I prefer the Shadow over the Tomahawk. No knocks against the Tomahawk. Personal preference. I think the Shadow has more umph than the Tomahawk. This is just my personal opinion.

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicagoNB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Shadow over the Tomahawk. No knocks against the Tomahawk. Personal preference. I think the Shadow has more umph than the Tomahawk. This is just my personal opinion.

Maybe so...but ill never buy another amp with rechargeable batteries that are hard to replace if the maker disapears someday.
But it may be better, but how much really? When you get to a certain level, no amp blows another away by much.

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe so...but ill never buy another amp with rechargeable batteries that are hard to replace if the maker disapears someday.
But it may be better, but how much really? When you get to a certain level, no amp blows another away by much.

Do you feel that it's a good investment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back