HFI-780 with Emmeline Tomahawk?
Mar 9, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you feel that it's a good investment?

Good investment is really a personal preference.
Of the amps out there, i "personally" like :

RSA: Hornet, Tomahawk, RS71 (classic version)

Meier: 3Move....or any Move model, Headsix, or any of Meiers common battery powered amps.

Portaphile: Portaphile Maxxed (eats batteries but sounds great) The Standard model doesnt eat batteries as much and is a great value if you can obtain one used in the forsale forum under $150 or so.

There are lots of amps not made anymore that you can find cheap in the forsale forum used that i happen to like, and own a few of them:

Shellbrook: MiniMoy, MaxiMoy, MiniHead

Z-Audio: Mu, Lambda, Epsilon

Practical Devices: They make a few models with many features with options of an internal rechargeable battery or a 9v alkaline/rechargeable. Theyre still being made.

Check Skylabs Portable Amp review. I believe hes up to about 50 amps now.
Then youll kinda get an idea how they compare and sound and maybe some quirks or features i dont know about.
Some of the amps i listed may not be on his list, and sure there are better out there, but you pay for that. Its all a matter of preference and what you want to pay. At certain levels, there isnt alot of difference between the amps really. Go to a meet and hear them.

There are many great amps out there other than what ive mentioned, and they have internal battery packs, but im on a kick lately. I have a T&D Xtra1 Pro amp here that i cant find a battery for now that the company is gone, so i can only use it as a desk amp now.
I also have a C&C Box+ that works fine, and i love the amp really, but im worried when the battery dies. I did find a robotics company that has a battery for it though, because someone searched and found it, so i know i can prolly fix that one.
So theres my reasoning. I feel its bad enough all the music players are throw-aways, but i dont want my amp to be a throw-away also.

Now you may say...."But so-and-so is a great company etc., and theyll replace the battery"......Ok, wonderful, but so-and-so company may go out of business and then youre stuck. But, for some people, they dont care....they will just buy another amp, or maybe they can solder mini circuits etc.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 23
I think im just gonna sit here and listen to my Zune>Tomahawk>HD650.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think im just gonna sit here and listen to my Zune>Tomahawk>HD650.

Haha, it must be love
o2smile.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by carnival /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, it must be love
o2smile.gif

Lust
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 23
Im a fan of the Tomahawk for certain phones.
They have a peak in the highs, so i say use them with warmer phones.

Ipods have a high peak, most Grados have a high peak, so add a Tomahawk and its too many high peaks. Most amps are very similar though. Theyre just slightly balanced different. Only certain ones truly stand out apart from the rest.
After awhile your ears and mind will play tricks on you and if you switched between all my amps, theyll start sounding the same and you wont know what the heck you like better. Yes one is slightly warmer and one has slightly more highs, but its slight and you have to listen, and not every headphone will bring it out.

If all youre going to use is portable headphones and IEMs, youll prolly like the Tomahawk for its long battery life and smallishness. Its very cute.
I use my Tomahawk and Portaphile now as a combo. Ive only had the Tomahawk a short time. It drives my 650s fine really. Not like some home amps, but as good as any portable ive heard really.
Be careful asking opinions on Head-Fi , and remember that everyone has an opinion.
Im sure there will be people reading this thinking im nuts even driving my 650 with a Tomahawk. Everything i say on here will have people agreeing and disagreeing.
You really have to listen to a bunch of amps and avoid the fanboys opinions and FOTM's (flavour of the months) out there.
Theres alot of them!!!!
Like the new guy that owns one amp and its all hes ever heard and suggests it all over HeadFi because he loves his new toy.

Go to a meet and listen to them. Most arent all that different, except for a few standouts. If you are worried about the Tomahawks gain and want an RSA, then get the Hornet. It has a bit more drive and punch.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im a fan of the Tomahawk for certain phones.
They have a peak in the highs, so i say use them with warmer phones.

Ipods have a high peak, most Grados have a high peak, so add a Tomahawk and its too many high peaks. Most amps are very similar though. Theyre just slightly balanced different. Only certain ones truly stand out apart from the rest.
After awhile your ears and mind will play tricks on you and if you switched between all my amps, theyll start sounding the same and you wont know what the heck you like better. Yes one is slightly warmer and one has slightly more highs, but its slight and you have to listen, and not every headphone will bring it out.

If all youre going to use is portable headphones and IEMs, youll prolly like the Tomahawk for its long battery life and smallishness. Its very cute.
I use my Tomahawk and Portaphile now as a combo. Ive only had the Tomahawk a short time. It drives my 650s fine really. Not like some home amps, but as good as any portable ive heard really.
Be careful asking opinions on Head-Fi , and remember that everyone has an opinion.
Im sure there will be people reading this thinking im nuts even driving my 650 with a Tomahawk. Everything i say on here will have people agreeing and disagreeing.
You really have to listen to a bunch of amps and avoid the fanboys opinions and FOTM's (flavour of the months) out there.
Theres alot of them!!!!
Like the new guy that owns one amp and its all hes ever heard and suggests it all over HeadFi because he loves his new toy.

Go to a meet and listen to them. Most arent all that different, except for a few standouts. If you are worried about the Tomahawks gain and want an RSA, then get the Hornet. It has a bit more drive and punch.

Alright, thanks a lot, Drag0n, you've been more than helpful. Definately made me feel better about buying "the right amp".
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back