hfb - Zones - top 50 albums of 2015
Jan 3, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #16 of 35
Im glad there is a Metal band on the list.

Jan 3, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #17 of 35
Thanks, I just realized I actually know nothing about music contrary to my thinking so. :joy: Looks like I've got some listening on the agenda. Great effort on the list. Cheers.

Jan 4, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #19 of 35
Another one who is a bit humbled, thought I knew music pretty well, only recognize 6 names out of MuppetFace's list (Low, Kamasi Washington, Viet Kong, Bjork, Kendrick Lamar, Matana Roberts), only have 2 (Washington and Roberts), not even sure of the genre these fall into (and I must have bought 100 CD;s over the year, or so). Do a bit better wiht the James444 list, own more, have at least heard of more of the other artists (Maria Schneider is a great artist, but I find the Thompson Fields puts me to sleep...in fact, I often use it to bed, works great!). Love Avisihai Cohen, haven't heard this one yet, have to check it out. OK, got some serious work to do, don't even know where to begin...:xf_eek:

Jan 5, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #20 of 35
OK, got some serious work to do, don't even know where to begin...:xf_eek:

Lol, me either but I've already started and I've done so on artists multiple people have mentioned.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #21 of 35
Do a bit better wiht the James444 list, own more, have at least heard of more of the other artists (Maria Schneider is a great artist, but I find the Thompson Fields puts me to sleep...in fact, I often use it to bed, works great!).

Me too! 
biggrin.gif
  Actually, a good part of my listening is late evening / in bed, so unsurprisingly a few rather quiet albums made it on my list.

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #22 of 35
Jan 5, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #23 of 35
Do a bit better wiht the James444 list, own more, have at least heard of more of the other artists (Maria Schneider is a great artist, but I find the Thompson Fields puts me to sleep...in fact, I often use it to bed, works great!).

Me too! :D   Actually, a good part of my listening is late evening / in bed, so unsurprisingly a few rather quiet albums made it on my list.

I'd say it's a fine album, but I'm usually asleep before the first track is over, LOL.

Jan 6, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #25 of 35
The only thing i like in that list of 50 is the Max Richter album. That death grips album is a pile of rubbish.... no 1 ? Maybe I have to listen to it again - did i miss something?

Jan 6, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #26 of 35
OK, don't know if these are the "Best" albums of the last year, so much stuff out there, hard to keep up. These are some that I liked, with a different angle to them, more in the left of center jazz world, with some indie/punk for good measure (in no particular order except that they appear on my Pono this way).

Miles Davis At Newport1955-1975, The Bootleg Series V4
The Bad Plus Joshua Redman
Birdcalls-Rudresh Mahanthappa
Break Stuff-Vijay Iyer Trio
Double Brein 2-Georg Breinschmid
The Epic-Kamasi Washington (think it's a bit overhyped, but it is good)
I Want to Grow Up-Colleen Green
In For a Penny, In For a Pound-Henry Threadgill Zooid
The Phosphorescent Blues-The Punch Brothers
Snowy Egret-Myra Melford
This is the Day-Giovanni Guidi Trio
Ye Old-Jacob Garchik
You've been Watching Me-Tim Bernes Snakeoil
Sleater-Kinney-No Cities to Love

Records I've listened to the most (from last year), just my $0.02

Jan 8, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #29 of 35
Some that didn't make the list (because I already removed them from the Pono):

Centennial: Newly Discovered Works of Gil Evans-Ryan Truesdale

Messin' with Mr. T-Dave Stryker

Still- Richard Thompson (a sentimental choice)

Blues and the Abstract Uke-Paul Jennings (for straight ahead jazz, unusual instrument, and the title...)

Trouble-Hospitality

Ok, enough for now...

Jan 9, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #30 of 35
Got the weekend, try to check out the 50 on TIDAL (between playoff games...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back