hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Oct 7, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #106 of 713
What type of mysticism do you practice/believe in.

It's called collective nilism. He's russian, he can't help but be a sour Sammy.

I think it's worth it to be reminded of death, or remind ourselves of the millions of ways to die. It puts life into perspective and makes me grateful for the little things. I could have died of a heart attack because I'm fattish, but I'm not yet. Grateful. That ******* driver could've rearended me into a lorry today, but he didn't.

But then again I'm a theist, so...

Oct 7, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #107 of 713
I used to fear death when I was a theist. Now I don't have time to think about it, it's just a full stop and that's about it.

If it comes to my door, I'll tell it to come back later, I'm busy right now.

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #110 of 713
Regarding Pitchfork and review systems in general:

I'm just astounded at the idea of someone being so great at reviewing that they can actually use decimals. I mean really, why 8.5 and not 8.4 or 8.6? Really think that particular drumhit was so off that it lowered the score by a whole decimal?

I can understand if you have ten different reviewers reviewing the same album/movie/game and pull together a score out of that. That's when decimals starts to make sense. But for one reviewer? Sheesh - must have golden ears and a golden brain for quantifying like that.

I do however like reading Pitchfork. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #111 of 713
Be aware though that a project I'm supposed to work on is hampered by a downed server and am awaiting for its return. So really I was just being bored, and am sorry if I caused grief.

I am bored at work, but also thankful to work at such a decentralized working environment. I shouldn't really abuse it though.........................

Oct 7, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #116 of 713
IU, the korean pop singer who I personally think is pretty decent, came out with a new song called Sogyeokdong. It's pretty good but I noticed it sounds a LOT like "Sad Machine" by Porter Robinson ~_~

this is my 666th post !

---

RIP:

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #117 of 713
Honestly, the best boots I've ever owned, by far, has been Dr Martens.

I've had these (yep, steel toed):

...for more than 15 years, and they're still as good as new. I haven't worn them all the time, but I haven't really taken care of them either. They used to be comfy, and in my most humble opinion, they look damned good if you like that industrial look. Which I admittedly do.

Why am I bringing this up? Well, I think my feet have grown sideways making them wider than they used to be, making these a bit uncomfy on the sides. I'm thinking of maybe buying another pair, perhaps of another, more mature looking, model and was wondering: you think Martens have the quality boots they used to have? Are there better brands available nowadays? There used to be Underground boots as well, but they used to be crap. The fact that mine has held up for more than 15 years and still going strong speaks loads and loads about the quality that they used to have. Oh, and yes, these have been through numerous Swedish winters and summers, meaning freezing cold weather, salt, warmth, water, and so on.

Oct 8, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #118 of 713
BTW, I'm curious about why Yung Lean has become such a big deal. I get the whole self-parody/meme thing, but the music itself just isn't very good IMHO.

It became a pretty big thing in the e-sports world because there is a dota 2 player that was obsessed with him, he even named his pro team S A D B O Y S.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:36 AM Post #119 of 713
  I do however like reading Pitchfork. 

They're a good source for music news.

Though honestly I wish they'd shut up about Sun Kil Moon's Mark Kozelek and every single stupid thing he says.
I don't need to know every time Artist X says something criticizing Artist Y. Also Twitter beefs. Definitely don't need to hear 'bout those.

Also whoops! The new Zola Jesus album got a 5 point something from a random person on Pitchfork.
Guess you folks can't hear it now. :frowning2:

Oct 8, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #120 of 713
  BTW, I'm curious about why Yung Lean has become such a big deal. I get the whole self-parody/meme thing, but the music itself just isn't very good IMHO.

I think most of his popularity comes from depressed white boys who identify with him for whatever reason. Or people who are nodding out on painkillers (hence his name).

Musically, his albums range from bad to good-ish. At his best, he has okay hooks and his flow blurs into a droning stream like on the track "Sandman." When you put some competent production behind him it's definitely listenable to my ears, and I can understand why people might like the dark, murky atmosphere on his tracks. Though I can't say I like most of his music, personally.

Lil B is kind of similar in his inexplicable popularity, though in his case a big part of it is meme status. Some folks might like it because they see it as mocking hip hop, but I honestly don't think either artist is trying to mock hip hop. Or even certain elements within it. In Lil B's case, I like him a lot more than a Yung Lean because his personality is so effusive and he has such a positive outlook.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back