hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Sep 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #46 of 713
  I'm not sure if anyone is really having any concern with the whole thing, I just think that it's appropriate to stop and think about what they could do with all that personal data they have on all of us. This whole 'quantified self' is basically keeping track of everything you do with wearables and smartphones, to make everything a bit easier to interpret, but somewhere along the line it might be a good idea to keep an eye on what exactly they do with the collected data other than present it to you with nice graphs and maps. If they sell it to Nike, Adidas etcetera to make better shoes or condoms, it's okay with me. But I'm not so sure that it would be okay if they used it more maliciously or if we're in the middle of giving our governments the perfect fundament to keep better control of us, or anything of that caliber.

That's the more paranoid infosec side of me, thinking that here's the perfect way of ruining our personal integrity, and we're happily letting them -- not that anyone else is having problems with it (it's not a #selfgate yet; there's no uproar).

But like I said, there's a part of me that is childishly in love with the whole idea: apps that keep track of me. I can't even keep track of myself. But apparently some apps can, and I find it awesome. I literally have apps to tell me when it's time to take my psycho-medication, sleep, work, eat, and so on. Not that I'd really need it, but after a few weeks without them I'd find my life a carousel that I can't get out of. I've tried it, it was no fun. Those sorts of things makes me feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie.

I just hope it doesn't turn out to be one of those dystopian ones.

First of all, greetings to the thread. I haven't posted much in a few months, and a new diary thread is as good a reason as any...

As far as information gathered and used against you by official organizations... For the most part a lot of the "boring" stuff isn't used that way, but there are a couple of things that definitely are.

The first is credit card data. I know FOR A FACT that the state police (or highway patrol) has direct access to credit card and debit card data, and that they routinely look at it, even for traffic stops. For example, they pull someone over, see that based on their credit card records they have just driven across the country, stayed a few hours, and turned around the other direction. They then use that information to justify a search.

The other one is facial recognition. The FBI, among others, uses pictures from Facebook etc to compile a database of faces, and uses cameras with facial recognition combined with that data to make inventories of people at public gatherings, especially protests. License plates are used the same way, to track people while traveling.

I had a dream a couple of weeks ago that kinda made me think. The short version is that I did something stupid but not intentionally malicious, and decided that the situation required me to run, as in be on the lamb. I then realized that it was impossible to run, because I didn't have any cash and couldn't get any without being tracked, and that my face and license plates were trackable anyway...

-----------------

As far as audio stuff, my focus lately has been on home theater. I got a new projector in June, which is a Sony VPL-HW40ES. Very rad. In a couple of weeks I'm adding some new speakers (Zu Audio Cubes with a Scanspeak subwoofer), and a new screen (DaLite HD Pro 0.9 100").

Also, RMAF starts in 11 days. :)

Cheers,

Harley.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #47 of 713
I did not know about the credit card thing. And as for the camera recognition thing, I guess I was in willful denial. I'll just be here contemplating big brother.

--

As typical I'm getting into electronic music years and years after it's been cool, but I don't really mind. I've really been enjoying this song:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjXsc0UjdQ[/video]

As per usual I'm not as well versed in this subject (this time, electronic music instead of headphones!). If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. I'm gonna go read MF's other thread again cause I know she compiled a list of good albums and a lot of you contributed to that.

Sep 29, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #48 of 713
@ compoopers

Thanks for sharing your music habits. I'm interested in hearing likewise from others.

If you're interested in electronica, you should definitely check out Aphex Twin's Syro. You might also dig Yagya's Sleepygirls and Millie & Andrea's Drop the Vowels.

Other favorites from the last few years include:

DJ Koze  -  Amygdala
Ital Tek  -  Midnight Colour
John Talabot  -  Fin

Sep 29, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #49 of 713
  @ compoopers

Thanks for sharing your music habits. I'm interested in hearing likewise from others.

If you're interested in electronica, you should definitely check out Aphex Twin's Syro. You might also dig Yagya's Sleepygirls and Millie & Andrea's Drop the Vowels.

DJ Koze  -  Amygdala
John Talabot  -  Fin

I love electronica as well, but find thumpy backbeats irritating, so tend towards vocal trance, chill trance, and electropop, rather than house and other thumpy styles.

I've been into Royksopp and Delerium a lot lately. Also, last couple albums by Daft Punk have been great. The vocal effect and basslines from Random Access Memories are a little bit addictive.

I built this really sick subwoofer about a week ago, so I have to "test" it. It's a top of the line Scanspeak Revelator driver stuffed in an ugly black carpet car box. It modeled out as exactly the right size though, and after spending big bucks on a driver I didn't really spend anything on cosmetics. It's hidden next to a wall anyway. The F6 is 23 hz, and it's not the slightest bit boomy or distorted.

I have these new neighbors who are twenty somethings from Louisiana with 3 or 4 kids. I figure if I don't complain about their kids they won't complain about my subwoofer. Not that I think they are uptight enough to mind.

It feels nice to post here, BTW. I've been a hermit since I moved a few months ago. I have my regular schedule of activities, which is work, karate, gaming. Other than that, I mostly sit on the couch with my dog.

Cheers,

Harley.

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #52 of 713
@ compoopers

DJ Koze  -  Amygdala
John Talabot  -  Fin

I did enjoy Koze and Talabot quite a lot. I have a "to listen" playlist of albums bought recently of 130 albums, and I am currently listening to album 25...recent likes include Matthew E. White - The Big Inner, Perera Elsewhere, POLICA, Holy Herdnon, Darkside, some sounds of Beatport, Arcade Fire (mastering sounds bad though IMO), Xenia Rubinos, Sampha, Ruby Pins, Disclosure, Mykki Bianco, Dawn of Midi, Chastity Belt.

I also recommend to listen to NovaTunes, compilations from Radio Nova, French independent radio. I am currently at compilation 25, come out everyday 4 to 6 months.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #53 of 713

Muppet, any impressions of Thom Yorke's new EP (Tomorrow's  Modern Boxes)?  
smile.gif

I'll be talking about it a bit in my next entry, actually.

It's far from my favorite electronic album this year, but I definitely like it. Thom Yorke's production and range of sounds is more intriguing to me than his last few efforts.

Oh well.  
frown.gif
  No,  it's not you.  I'm trying to balance out my discovery-based diversions (music, books, etc.), and it was either this or Syro next.  Looks like it's going to be Syro.  
smile.gif
  I wanted to check in with you because Mercer is going apecrap over TMB, but he also loves Yorke's DJ stuff.

Also, RMAF starts in 11 days. :)

YAY!  
smile.gif

I'm gonna go read MF's other thread again cause I know she compiled a list of good albums and a lot of you contributed to that.

Yeah, that's a good thread.  Chock full of stuff where I could never hope to get through all of it.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #54 of 713
Stuck on a mobile with metered data... while waiting for tomorrow for the electrician to look at why the house kept blacking out.
--------------------
Someone's been working up a hype storm about Syro on the anime thread. Maybe I should start listening to Aphex Twin. Any suggestion where to start if not from their first?

And speaking of new songs, I've been going through some self published albums. According to the list in referring, most of it seems to be techno.

I'd post some songs that I like, but...
-----------
My disinterest with audio hardware is continuing with its solemn march forward. I guess having to properly work for money is putting such a damper on things huh. I wouldn't want to focus on hardware anyways considering my only abundant time to listen is during my car commute.

Did I ever mention that I dislike car commute if I'm the one driving? I'd rather take the bus. Only if the system is good though. Russia has thoroughly spoilt me in terms of super efficient public transport and making me want to use it, instead of the loathe and hate of the Kuala Lumpur bus services. At least the city rail is good enough, if not far reaching enough.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #55 of 713
  Amygdala

What is that album like? I wonder if it actually manages to relate to the actual brain structure. (In nerd mode)

Speaking of nerd mode, I had a huge geek out session with Rob Watts (of Hugo fame) the other day. I actually didn't understand quite a bit of what he told me, but that's a good thing in my book.

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #56 of 713

Did I ever mention that I dislike car commute if I'm the one driving? I'd rather take the bus. Only if the system is good though. Russia has thoroughly spoilt me in terms of super efficient public transport and making me want to use it, instead of the loathe and hate of the Kuala Lumpur bus services. At least the city rail is good enough, if not far reaching enough.

Does Russia have good buses in a general sense, or just in certain cities? Here in the US, certain cities such as Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, NYC, and Seattle have good public transportation (subways and good bus systems), whereas in other places such as Los Angeles and most smaller cities and rural areas it's pretty bad.

Sep 30, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #57 of 713

Oh well.  
frown.gif
  No,  it's not you.  I'm trying to balance out my discovery-based diversions (music, books, etc.), and it was either this or Syro next.  Looks like it's going to be Syro.  
smile.gif
  I wanted to check in with you because Mercer is going apecrap over TMB, but he also loves Yorke's DJ stuff.

(music, books, ect.) (music, books, writing, ect.)  
wink.gif

Of late, been looking to meet up with you, cafe side or other. Your mobile no longer seems to be acquainted with 
rolleyes.gif
my mine. Perhaps, we can gather after Rocky. 

My disinterest with audio hardware is continuing with its solemn march forward. I guess having to properly work for money is putting such a damper on things huh. I wouldn't want to focus on hardware anyways considering my only abundant time to listen is during my car commute.

wink_face.gif
 On the other hand, good music can help you get rite on your way to the job during your car commute. 

What is that album like? I wonder if it actually manages to relate to the actual brain structure. (In nerd mode)

Speaking of nerd mode, I had a huge geek out session with Rob Watts (of Hugo fame) the other day. I actually didn't understand quite a bit of what he told me, but that's a good thing in my book.

I've followed his writings on other sites and quite like his perspective.

Does Russia have good buses in a general sense, or just in certain cities? Here in the US, certain cities such as Chicago, Washington DC, San Francisco, NYC, and Seattle have good public transportation (subways and good bus systems), whereas in other places such as Los Angeles and most smaller cities and rural areas it's pretty bad.

c515d902351c07abf19039ba6d66d4db38d5c855.gif
 I pray that my ride in LA will see the end of 2015 without incident.

Should it fail before then, I look forward to seeing the progress made by LA Metro.
nea.gif

Oct 1, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #58 of 713
I thought LA had pretty good bus service. According to my Union the two worst places to drive bus is Detroit and Chicago. Tons of driver assaults and service is supposed to be terrible. Last time I heard Chicago was experimenting with a new bus where the front is separated from the passenger compartment. Think of it as a subway car on wheels.

Oct 1, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #59 of 713

Of the five cities that I've had the chance to visit; Moscow obviously, St. Petersburg, Nizhny Novgorod, Volgograd and Kursk; all of them have stellar buses and trains service, and for the larger cities, subways.

The latter three cities mentioned isn't too huge of a city, but it's too big to call a town imo. And the most 'rural' of the five is Novgorod. There's actually one rural town I went to; it's for shopping crystalline products. True that I didn't really went anywhere other than the flea market of the crystals, but that just doesn't have a centralised bus system.

Oct 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #60 of 713
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will check them out.

Just did that thing with my music collection where I deleted a ton of stuff I never listen to and downloaded a ton of new stuff. Now I'm really ready to find some new thing because the baggage is out of the way. It feels fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back