hfb - Bounce House - chat aka shtpost central
Dec 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #286 of 713
Someone I trust tells me they sound great...he is selling them because they are too pretty for on the go.

It would be nice if they did sound great, as they're quite pretty. I'm just skeptical because I've seen an unusually high number of them for sale given how few they've [presumably] sold relative to other manufacturers out there. Also the measurements from Tyll and Golden Ears look kinda iffy. However measurements are only part of the story, so one day I will hear them for myself [hopefully].

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #287 of 713
It would be nice if they did sound great, as they're quite pretty. I'm just skeptical because I've seen an unusually high number of them for sale given how few they've [presumably] sold relative to other manufacturers out there. Also the measurements from Tyll and Golden Ears look kinda iffy. However measurements are only part of the story, so one day I will hear them for myself [hopefully].
I would have gotten a pair but I just don't use headphones at the end of the day... I am more hesitating on the Lab1.

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #290 of 713
Didn't know they made a universal K10. (Tho I'm not interested in it at all.) I'm not that big a fan of the 846 but the LAB I is my favorite phone of all time and has a monopoly on my listenin time. I still keep abreast of all the ear phone developments for whatever reason, til I pop the L1 in my ears and wonder why I even bother. I just connect with music effortlessly thru the L1

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #291 of 713
@Coq

I second the Hd598. I recently got a pair from Amazon an they sound great. I'd also like to throw in a recommendation for the old HifiMan HE400. You can get a pair for cheap on headamp. For under 250 they're an awesome deal. I personally love mine.

Dec 15, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #292 of 713
Personally not a fan of the Vmoda M100, but I'm incredibly picky when it comes to bass articulation these days since I listen to a lot of electronica.

As for being seen with the NAD Viso HP50 in public, well....

Found that courtesy of a Google search.

It's a bit more expensive than the other recommendations, but I also think pretty highly of the Shure SRH1540. Got them for a friend, and she loves them.
It's bass performance is quite good, and I think it looks a lot better than the NAD and Vmoda (IMHO, of course).

The Focal Spirit Pro is really great, but it doesn't feel quite as well built as the NAD, Vmoda, or Shures. It feels more fragile. The plastic of the Spirit Pro is really cool however because it has this "wet look" with beads of plastic all over it, a textured effect that is hard to capture in pictures. Kinda like a stucco wall.

A lot of hair should help hide the weird square band of the viso hp50 imo.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #293 of 713
I actually think that the Shure's look ugly as heck on my longish-ass head!!! Lol They just extend weirdly... still, preferred the ADs over them (they also leak quite a bit... if you care about that...)

Dec 16, 2014 at 4:23 PM Post #297 of 713
Today 1 dollar = 68 Russian rubles and Brent is $59 a barrel

Several months ago 1 dollar was 33 rubles and Brent was $110 a barrel

Either Putin leaves Ukraine alone or Brent will get cheaper and subsequently ruble will get cheaper and state budget will dramatically shrink.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #299 of 713

When the creator of Bioshock fired up Shadow of Mordor, he didn’t expect Tolkien meets Arkham City meets Hamlet—or to discover a radical new kind of narrative form.

I thought Mordor was a bit mediocre overall, but none of my issues with it* are relevant to the randomization Levine is talking about here, which was actually a really cool feature.  A game with the level of variance and freedom found in Mordor with a less-throwaway story and setting, which Levine's games certainly have, would probably be great, but given all the horrible errors in design that the Bioshock games have (imo), I highly doubt he'll be the man to marry the best aspects of randomization with narrative seeds that would make this marvel of a game he's proposing.  Well, it probably won't be such to me at least. 

Anyone more optimistic than me?  Less so?  Anyone think I'm a **** for not thinking the Bioshock games are perfect?

*Combat that's too easily exploited and begins to lack tension not long into the game, an ironic lack of enemy variety, and should-be climactic moments are fleeting and rather mundane.

I think I like this idea for future-Luke more than the extended universe stuff I've seen (more through stupid "who'd win in a fight?" videos I used to watch while depressed than anything else, but still).  It's less ham-fisted than the "Luke turns evil" **** Lucas would likely come up with and lends more of an original trilogy mystique to the force than you'd get with him training a million new Jedi or w/e. 

Boo @ the threaded pummel and lol @ that "ultimate sword blade" remark, but this is still pretty cool.

I'm curious about that mod they showed briefly where Fierce Deity Link is fighting Ganon.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #300 of 713
I honestly can't see Levine delivering another sim like System Shock 2 again. Dude's just gonna have to keep lording that accomplishment over our heads and continue livin that wannabe auteur life. Games are just far too dumbed down these days, and the level of investment required to get anywhere in a nonlinear resource management heavy title like that would likely fly way the **** over the tops of most mainstream gamer's heads since they're all about giant flashin arrows pointing you in the correct direction, copious save points and instantly rewarding gameplay.

As for Bio... I really dig it for its awesome theme park like atmosphere and ambitious presentation. I know the bar for a solid vidyagame yarn is positioned hilariously rather low, but, hey, baby steps. That aside, I can still remember reading in EGM about how "emergent gameplay" was the next big thing. Mean ol' crock of **** that turned out to be of course. Then there's Infinite, and how the team supposedly slaved day and night to make Liz the "best companion AI" ever. You can still find vids of Levine walkin you thru all of the environmental cues that Liz could react to. I wonder what happened to that game? Cause I'd sure like to play it.

Sometimes I wonder whether Levine isn't treading dangerously close to Molyneux territory with his foot in mouth disease, but then I have to remind myself that he did design one of the most seminal games of all time in SS2

That aside, I watched the "Teens react to Mega Man" video yesterday and it's pretty amusing watching today's youth try to tackle the games that constituted my childhood. I kinda even had an old man shaking my cane moment watching them barrel through the stages not recognizing simple enemy patterns or even realizing that you could shoot enemies :l

After watching that, I fired up an emulator and took a crack at MM1 myself and... It's just as bastardly as I had remembered. I did fine all the way up to Iceman where the crippling slowdown had me dishing out expletives like the saltiest of sea dogs. I was able to get thru the whole game in 6 hours with the help of the select button glitch (legitimately fight Yellow Devil? Nah.) and some save states during that last boss rush before Wily (Iceman? You can go die in a fire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back