HF5 or PL50?
Jan 20, 2011 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

davidk9205

New Head-Fier

[size=medium] [size=11pt]Hello Headfiers,[/size]

[size=11pt]After having a few issues with buying overseas I have decided to buy from Australia only for the moment. This very much limits my choices of IEM that I can access.[/size]
[size=11pt]I am trying to choose between the Ety HF5 or Sound Magic PL50.[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=medium] I did own the Hifiman 601 with Re-zero, but did not enjoy it as I found the treble extremely harsh, but I also think I was having an issue with getting a good seal.

[size=11pt]The only IEM that I currently own is the Ety ER6i. I dont mind them but find them slightly bass shy and also a bit harsh in the treble. I have no issue at all with deep insertion, actually I quite like it.[/size]
[size=11pt]I have read that the HF5 is vastly superior to the ER6i so I figured this would be my next upgrade.[/size]
[size=11pt]But the reviews I have read regarding the PL50 intrigue me. The idea of a mid-centric IEM interests me as I love vocals more than anything else. [/size]
[size=11pt]I am also about to receive a second hand ibasso T3.[/size]

[size=11pt]The HF5 would cost me $159[/size]
[size=11pt]The PL50 would cost me $90[/size]

[size=11pt]My sources are Clip+, Ipod classic and Ipod touch (I would be using a LOD with the ipods).[/size]
[size=11pt]Music preferences are varied, but mainly music like, U2, Pearl Jam, Kings of Leon, The White Stripes,etc.[/size]

[size=11pt]So, HF5 or PL50?[/size]
[/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=small]Any input would be appreciated.[/size]

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Cheers goodvibes.

Price is not an issue (up to the $159 :)

Jan 22, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
i own both and in fact bought the PL50 on mark2410's recommendation on a review he wrote about them a while back.

the HF5 is smooth in comparison to the PL50's harsh, twangy and grating midrange.

you find the PL-50 harsh?  then there is something wrong.  its the one thing every review of them them i have seen agrees upon, their buttery smooth midrange.

Jan 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Strangely enough, I am now considering the Brainwavz M3. 
My thoughts are that I will most likley consider the HF5 too harsh in the treble and going by the write ups  I have read I'm thinking the M3 will have better quality sound than the PL50. Of course this means I will buying overseas again, but I am willing to risk it.

I do think the harshness in the treble I hear might have something to do with my hearing as I did spend twenty years standing next to very loud machinery with no hearing protection. Not much I can do about that now I guess.
(To all you kids out there, wear hearing protection and turn those ipods down!!)

Any thoughts on the Brainwavz M3 ?

Jan 22, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #12 of 13
PL50 thin and not detailed. if you like some hard music, they will mixing all sounds in one ugly thing. also they are boring for listening. apple earbuds better then they a lot of times, Do you like apple earbuds?:) imho.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Any thoughts on the Brainwavz M3 ?

The PL50s are very smooth in the mids. I couldnt get the bass i wanted from them.
I would put my M2s above the PL50s, but they are quite different in sound signatures.
I would say the PL50s are very smooth and easy to listen to and the M2s warm, full in bass and mids and fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back