HF-1s making my head hurt :(
Dec 3, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #16 of 34
One thing I've noticed since receiving HF-1's a few days ago, is that unamped I need the volume to be a lot higher than it is on my HD595's in order to be satisfied. That's kind of a real bummer, so I always use the amp with my Grados, then I am satisfied with safer volume levels. I tried the SR60's a while back, and it was the same situtation I think - I needed high volume in order to feel satisfied, hence, I got terrible tinnitus-like headaches, and almost immediately. Conclusion: try them with an amp. :)

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #17 of 34
Try reversing the bowl pads and see if that helps. It will mellow out the highs some. If it does help you might want to see about getting some senn 414 pads or flats. Also it could be that you just need to adjust to the sound. I had similar (although less severe) problems when I first got my sr-225s when I first joined head-fi. The problems went away after about a week.

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinneresque
One thing I've noticed since receiving HF-1's a few days ago, is that unamped I need the volume to be a lot higher than it is on my HD595's in order to be satisfied. That's kind of a real bummer, so I always use the amp with my Grados, then I am satisfied with safer volume levels. I tried the SR60's a while back, and it was the same situtation I think - I needed high volume in order to feel satisfied, hence, I got terrible tinnitus-like headaches, and almost immediately. Conclusion: try them with an amp. :)

I noticed the exact opposite with my Audio-Technica A900s. I have to raise the volume higher on the A900s to be satisfied even though they're closed headphones.

Dec 3, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #19 of 34
This seems like a common occurence and is rather unfortunate. It's surprising indeed. My SR60 makes my ears hurt inside, exactly as you've described your HF-1. The same with my A500. I've never gotten this feeling with the HD650 or SA5000 however. It's surprising because many people think the SA5000 is brighter than the SR60 and the A500. I believe it is because the headphones (the ones that make your ears hurt) are producing specific frequencies that a person's ears are extremely sensitive to. It would then hurt quite a lot.

Dec 3, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #20 of 34
Bend the headband outwards to alleviate all but enough pressure to keep them on your head. Then they'll be comfy. Trust me, my SR-80's hurt my head a lot when I first got them too since they had so much spring to them.

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 34
This is one major reason why I let go my HF-1 in FS forum. I was thinking to buy Beyer headband pad and replace the bowl pads wit vwap. But it is almost impossible for me to source them in my country unless import. Taking these hassle fees into consideration, I had decided to convert myself to Sennheiser, HD650 will be my next purchase. HF-1 is great but it just not suited me.
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #22 of 34
i am using flats, and they sit loosely on my head...they are not clamping down, as I said it feels more like an internal pain, although my ears do start to feel a different pain from the bowls and flats...but that usually happens later and can be alleviated with a relatively short (5 min) break

thanks for the response

Dec 3, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #23 of 34
yep I get that too with my ms1's... have for the past year or so, but only in one ear strangely... Now I wouldnt consider ms1's with modded comfies to be bright headphones, so I dont think any pad swapping will work. I don't think altering the headband or anything like that will work either, it didn't for me...
You can either live with it and take breaks regularly, or sell em to me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 9:03 AM Post #24 of 34
i also had that same problem with beyer dt531. i was only able to wear them for about 30 minutes before the pain would start giving me a headache even though i listened to them at a moderate volume. i also like my music on the quiet side and am really sensitive to loud music. in the end i sold the dt531 even though i really liked the way the sounded.
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #25 of 34
w33bo,

it's easy to get used to higher volumes with headphones and think they are normal volumes. try listening to volumes that still allow you to hold a conversation with others while the music's is playing. That is what I consider low to normal volume level.

If you already listen to those levels than I don't know how to help you (sorry), but if you were listening considerably louder, you might want to give this a try. it will sound very low in the beginning but once you get used to it you won't understand how you could ever consider the louder volumes as normal and it will feel unatural loud to you after a while.

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #26 of 34
My friend did a few frequency tests a long time ago, and he found that sometimes a headphone will develop a substantial spike in a specific frequency. This would mean that although the volume is low, one specific frequency will be amazingly loud or harsh. Of course you won't notice it in the music because it's just a very narrow frequency range. I'm not sure if this phenomenon is common or if it's actually what is happening in this case though.

Regards,
Venio

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 34
Ironically, my Alessandros sound the best when they hurt the most... I guess after listening over an hour with comfies, the drivers are fully warmed up and the foam compresses slightly, bringing the drivers a bit closer to the ear.

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:25 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by w33bo
anyone have any ideas?

sell them to me
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
My friend did a few frequency tests a long time ago, and he found that sometimes a headphone will develop a substantial spike in a specific frequency. This would mean that although the volume is low, one specific frequency will be amazingly loud or harsh. Of course you won't notice it in the music because it's just a very narrow frequency range. I'm not sure if this phenomenon is common or if it's actually what is happening in this case though.

Grados have this problem particularly badly. The 325 for example have about a +15dB peak at 9000Hz. That's 32 times louder than the surrounding frequencies!
showGraph.php

The +6dB peak at 2000Hz is four times as loud as the surrounding frequencies, and the +9dB peak at 5000Hz is eight times as loud.

Even the RS-1 doesn't avoid this problem. The peaks even get a little broader. Two of the peaks span entire octaves:
showGraph.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back