HF-1s making my head hurt :(
Dec 2, 2005 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

w33bo

New Head-Fier
I have HF-1s driven by an echo indigo DJ, and have been using sr-80s for the past couple months, but since i've gotten the HF-1s, (a couple days ago) i put them on, and even though i can hear a difference (they sound a bit better), after about 20-30 minutes with them on my ears start hurting, its not the bowls, it's inside my ears, it feels like the pain i get when i fly in an airplane and i want my ears to pop real bad. It is very painful and I am a little confused, this didn't happen with the sr80s....

anyone have any ideas?

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #2 of 34
Turn the volume down?

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 34
any chance you were listening to them louder or for longer periods than the SR80? I know when I get a new set, I always am more tempted to turn them up louder than normal, and because they are new, I'm more tempted to listen for longer periods.

I cant think of any other reason. To my ears the HF1 is warmer and more mellow sounding, with a warmer bass-heavy signature. IMHO its one of the least fatigue-ing Grados.

Garrett

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by w33bo
I have HF-1s driven by an echo indigo DJ, and have been using sr-80s for the past couple months, but since i've gotten the HF-1s, (a couple days ago) i put them on, and even though i can hear a difference (they sound a bit better), after about 20-30 minutes with them on my ears start hurting, its not the bowls, it's inside my ears, it feels like the pain i get when i fly in an airplane and i want my ears to pop real bad. It is very painful and I am a little confused, this didn't happen with the sr80s....

anyone have any ideas?

I get that too, actually... even when the volume isn't very high. I found that if I take a few mins break after every hour or so, I do much better. Grado's damage ears it seems, i've read at least a couple threads where people developed tinnitus after listening to grados for awhile (especially the SR-225's, which the HF-1's are most similar to). Just be careful, listen at low volumes and take breaks.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 34
i havent payed that much attention to how long i listen to them, but they seem to hurt after only about 20 minutes, breaks do help a little, but right now ive had them off for about 30 minutes and i can still feel the after effects.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 34
... Thats why I always use an amp with my Grados (and all my cans for that matter). But NOT to BOOST VOLUME, rather, to increase low volume dynamics and transient response/impact.

When I listen to music unamped (rare but on occasion) I always find myself cranking up the volume in a pointless effort to increase dynamics.

I MUCH prefer an amped low-volume (high dynamics) listening session as opposed to an unamped high volume (low dynamics) session.

Sounds backwards... But... thats what I have found with all my cans and amps. I am MUCH less tempted to turn hte volume up when I listen with an amp.

God i hope that makes sense...????
Garrett

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 34
I have similar problems with bright headphones. I guess its listening fatigue. Some people's ears are more sensitive to certain noises and have different reactions to such noises.

My Er-6 and DT-931 sometimes causes my inner ears to feel a dull ache if I listen to my music for extended periods of time. Because of this, I have to listen to my music at low volume levels.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

i havent payed that much attention to how long i listen to them, but they seem to hurt after only about 20 minutes, breaks do help a little, but right now ive had them off for about 30 minutes and i can still feel the after effects.

It sounds to me like you listen to them for too long without a break. You should stop listening for a week(s) or so to let your ears recover, because if you keep listening then that's not going to make it any better. Take break every hour or so...just take care of your ears.

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #12 of 34
i guess what you guys are saying makes sense, it just does not feel like i am listening too loud or for too long, i'll be sure to pay more attention after a couple days break....lets see if the problem persists
Thanks for the help and quick replies
Daniel

Dec 3, 2005 at 12:43 AM Post #13 of 34
Might want to try swapping your old SR80 bowls onto the HF1... It Might change the tone... warm them up and make them less harsh.

Garrett

Dec 3, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

anyone have any ideas?

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.
First off, I find any change in signature from what ur used to is "foreign" to the ears which can be annoying or even painful, at first.
Second, the HF-1's REALLLLY need to be burned in.
When I first listened to mine they were all-around muddy sounding, which IMO is fatuiging since you need to work harder to analyze the music.
Ironically, you prob got used to the (IMO) unnatural brightness of the 80's and now that you have a significantly warmer can, your ears are lost.
Plug em in to ur stereo at full volume before you go to bed every night for a minimum of a week...everything falls into place after burn in, and then its just heaven
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
Plug em in to ur stereo at full volume before you go to bed every night for a minimum of a week...everything falls into place after burn in, and then its just heaven
biggrin.gif

Max volume is a bit too much something along the lines of "slightly louder then normal comftable listening levels seems to be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back